[TI ASM] Starting Help

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Spooner

[TI ASM] Starting Help

Post by Spooner »

I am attempting to learn asm. I am using asm in 28 days and lost confused on the first day when it says. And save as hello.z80 in the source directory
to compile, open up DOS (try Start menu, Run, then whichever of command.com or cmd.exe works) and go to the TASM directory. Type asm hello and press Enter.

After a second or two (or more, depending on your computer's speed), assembly will finish, and the program is ready to be transmitted to the calculator.

I go into the c prompt thing but I am not sure how to get to the Tasm directory. I am not sure what to type in the slightest any help.

Edit kv83: Added Tag. Please use it in the future.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

First step to becoming a programmer: self-support.

http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Ouch. Feeling harsh today? Why not just redirect him here?

cd c:\asm\tasm

Assuming you set it up as in 28 days. CoBB has a point though. Not that I'm one to point that out, but...

Oh, and Ionguru has a nice section on MS-DOS prompts.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

what i do is just keep a batch file in my project directory containing 'cmd.exe'. this opens the command prompt into the right directory. :)
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

I did it before; I'm trying to remember how now, but it's possible to modify the default path to c:\asm\tasm instead of c:\Documents and Settings\User .

Indeed, I found it. Rightclick the command prompt icon and select properties, then modify 'Start in / Start Path' to whatever you wish!
KevinJB | RevSoft
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Or just use Total Commander and write 'cmd' in the command line when you're in the right directory. Not that you need to do anything in the command prompt, since everything should be in batch files.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Unless of course the batch files aren't in the default directory, in which case...

*drumroll*

see my above post :)
It's just something I did to make compiling one step easer. Of course, when I'm making a big project that'll take more than 1 week, I'll probably just ask Leofox for the .bat file he made that only requires a click. Or make my own.
KevinJB | RevSoft
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

When you start a bat from TC, the default path is the one it is located in. No tinkering needed at all.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

just try to be nice to people.

Post by CalcKing »

Of course, some of us don't even bother with command lines or programs other than the editor for assembly. ;-)

I use ConTEXT with a modified version of the Z80 highlighter available for download, and specialized batch files. Basically, I just use one of four buttons:

F9 = Send to VTI
F10 = Assemble for Ion
F11 = Assemble for TI-83+ (Doesn't insert the #define statments)
F12 = Send to Calculator (Uses TISendTo.exe -- Part of TI Connect)

The batch files and key assignments automatically handle any directory you have a source file in, and use a single copy of tasm (tasm80.tab is copied and set attrib +h). I have thought about creating a resource describing exactly what I did to set this up. It would include my batch files and screen shots of the settings.

Anyone interested? :)
Long live Z80 and #tiasm!

^^ Alas, I wrote that a long time ago. :(
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

yep
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Isnt Crimson editor good for that?
MissingIntellect

Post by MissingIntellect »

CalcKing wrote:Of course, some of us don't even bother with command lines or programs other than the editor for assembly. ;-)

I use ConTEXT with a modified version of the Z80 highlighter available for download, and specialized batch files. Basically, I just use one of four buttons:

F9 = Send to VTI
F10 = Assemble for Ion
F11 = Assemble for TI-83+ (Doesn't insert the #define statments)
F12 = Send to Calculator (Uses TISendTo.exe -- Part of TI Connect)

The batch files and key assignments automatically handle any directory you have a source file in, and use a single copy of tasm (tasm80.tab is copied and set attrib +h). I have thought about creating a resource describing exactly what I did to set this up. It would include my batch files and screen shots of the settings.

Anyone interested? :)
Yes, this would useful, especially for new programmers--I mean, how many questions are about the proper tools, etc. and about IDEs? 8)
--Steve Riekeberg
MaxCoderz Co-Founder, Ex-Staff Member
http://www.missingintellect.net
CalcKing

Post by CalcKing »

Okay then, I will really try to whip something up. It doesn't look like I will have time tonight, but maybe tomorrow or saturday. :)

CalcKing

Post by CalcKing »

Okay, I'm just about done. I'll either reply here or in Announce Your Projects when I am ready for testers. :)