Another half-arsed product from Ben: Tutorials.

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Another half-arsed product from Ben: Tutorials.

Post by benryves »

Nothing great, nothing exciting, but something that maybe someone will find useful:
http://benryves.com/tutorials/
Maybe these effects/techniques are a few years, ahem, decades out of date... but hey. I tried to present them in a simple way. :)
Any feedback is, as ever, appreciated.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Is the audio version coming too? ;)
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Good.

So when will the 3d-tuts come? :)

Old-school raytracing is a topic you should try to cover (diffuse + specular spheres, planes and simple stuff like that), nowadays they're pretty overwhelming (Monte-Carlo raytracing with photon mapping and who knows what).
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

First time I've *ever* seen tuts on this stuff, and I've looked. Might try them sometime, I skimmed through them a bit. Good stuff, and thanks for the work ben. Write more tuts!! :D
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

those were way over my head...I guess I am an idiot...but, well, at least I can sprite well
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Really? Ben's style seems to work better for me than most others out there. Of course it's hard to tell, since I already know a bit about the things he wrote about.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

I'd say I would've loved to have those tuts handy a few yrs back so you guys learning things from those tuts should be overjoyed :) They're pretty fun to read unlike the old half-done docs in old SWAG...
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

necro wrote:those were way over my head...I guess I am an idiot...but, well, at least I can sprite well
Well at a first look it's a bit overwhelming. I did understand the tunnel one a bit.. then again it took me awhile to understand fractals until the concept finally smashed me in the head, then I made a fractal program in ti-basic :)
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Kerey

Post by Kerey »

CoBB wrote:Is the audio version coming too? ;)
Yes, I need a book on tape to listen to on the way to work. I should ask for a car that runs properly while we're at it. (of course it starts having problems a week before I have to drive 700 miles to my school apartment then back home)

Nice job on the tutorials Ben. They are very readable, although I am always distracted by the British spelling "maths" for some reason. It's really the only word that does that for me too. Maybe I'm just weird.
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

Nice tutorials ! (except the windows console one that i don't care about)
I found them well presented, though i haven't read them in detail.
Calv!n.n0.1

Post by Calv!n.n0.1 »

Nice tutorials Ben! :) I haven't had a chance to read them through, but I plan on doing so. Look like you have some neat info there!

I'd like to see a good tut on random flames/fire, and or something on raycasting/raytracing (like coelurus mentioned). You had some really neat pixel demos a while back that you put together on the TI. Maybe tuts on some of those would be interesting. Good job as always d00d! :D They were presented well!
Revolution Software - http://www.revsoft.org