The Da Vinci Code - The movie

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I give the movie the rating of... "Poor/OK"...

...just because of Tom Hank's acting... some of the lines seemed forced to me...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

the da vinci code is full of crap. and I'm not just saying that because I"m catholic. Tell me some stuff from the book that they say are "true" and i'll explain how wrong they are.

actually, i don't have time to explain everything cause the whole book is fake. so just go get yourself a copy of "cracking the da vinci code" by Jimmy Akin if you care. its 36 pages. small but thats all you need.

but here's some stuff from the book that i can say are LIES

Jesus is not God; he was only a man

Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene

Jesus got her pregnant, and the two had a daughter who gave rise to a prominent European bloodline

The Bible was put together by a pagan Roman emperor

There is a secret society known as the Priority of Fion that still worships Mary Magdalene as a goddess and is trying to keep the "Truth" alive

The Catholic Church is aware of all this and has been fighting for centuries to keep it suppressed, often committing murder to do so.

All of these claims are false.

The whole point of the movie was to make cash. Its a win-win situation for them.

people who don't believe in Jesus will go PAY to see the movie to gain support from it.

people who believe in Jesus will go PAY and see it to see if they can point out the lies.

people not even sure about their religion will go Pay and see it to see what others think about catholicism and mainly any christianity because jesus is in every christian religion.

having the best-selling anti-catholic novel of all time and a best selling anti catholic movie, hollywood and the publishers and authors are getting rich while confusing us.

the Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

lecks wrote:the da vinci code is full of crap. and I'm not just saying that because I"m catholic. Tell me some stuff from the book that they say are "true" and i'll explain how wrong they are.
Oh, my, of course it is, since it's supposed to be fiction... Moreover, it's just a B-category detective story. What's the big fuss about?
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

CoBB wrote:
lecks wrote:the da vinci code is full of crap. and I'm not just saying that because I"m catholic. Tell me some stuff from the book that they say are "true" and i'll explain how wrong they are.
Oh, my, of course it is, since it's supposed to be fiction... Moreover, it's just a B-category detective story. What's the big fuss about?
Exactly what I was about to say. This is a work of FICTION. IT'S NOT TRUE. UNDERSTAND? I don't understand why so many people are going crazy about this book. It's an entertaining story. You could pick almost any fiction book and prove that it's not true. Why are people going crazy over this fictional story? :?
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

I think most of the hype came from uneducated people who didn't know it was fiction. Any of us here could read it and realize that it is, but not everyone is as skeptical and will, as the saying goes, believe everything they read.

I haven't read it, but doesn't it say somewhere at the beginning that it is either true or based on true events?
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:Get over it, it's a story no matter how historically accurate it is.
What do you mean by story?
Exactly what the word means.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=story
having the best-selling anti-catholic novel of all time and a best selling anti catholic movie, hollywood and the publishers and authors are getting rich while confusing us.

the Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction.
If you're religious and this confuses you, you should look at something to improve about your own stance on religion, not that of hollywood.
Last edited by Arcane WIzard on Wed 07 Jun, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:I haven't read it, but doesn't it say somewhere at the beginning that it is either true or based on true events?
As far as I remember it just mentions that the writer made thorough research, mostly to get the factual data right. Nothing special here.
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Sigh.

My point was, and I'll literally quote it, that "it's a story no matter how historically accurate it is" and that if you can't get over that fact and must debate over technical issues about the bible's historical accuracy then you are not acting to the moral of the story in the bible.

Interestingly, bickering over it's historical accuracy because you felt offended, instead of confirming that the bible's falues and the faith it teaches are of infintely greater importance, is exactly what you chose to do.
I was dealing with the argument at hand. If you want to have a religous debate, then lets start another topic. if you want to deal with why I think Da Vinci code is BS then this is in fact the place. oh and if you think this is me being offended, then just wait till you say something that is actually offensive.
Now, remove any blindness due to your liking of Christianity and see if you can read this objectively:
Get over it, it's a story no matter how historically accurate it is. If you can't deal with that then you may wish to look at your own motivations for this faith first, instead of debating with others and accusing them that they don't know what they're talking about. Chances are they know more about the meaning of faith than you do.
Interestingly enough I dont think of the Bible like a really big collection of fables. while I dont interpret it literally word for word since I can guarantee it isn't translated perfectly accurately, I do believe everything in there. My motivations for being a Christian? what are your motivations for believing in the Internet? to me at least, its as real as that. And my faith? I think I understand what faith means. it means trusting in something. I trust in the bible, and in God.
Jesus is a cool dude.
have you heard of C.S. Lewis's trilemma? :twisted:
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

CoBB wrote:
L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:I haven't read it, but doesn't it say somewhere at the beginning that it is either true or based on true events?
As far as I remember it just mentions that the writer made thorough research, mostly to get the factual data right. Nothing special here.
The background information is true. Things like why Da Vinci drew Mona Lisa like he did and stuff. The plot is of course made up, but never the less it's a good read :)

The only thing that makes me laugh is how the (catholic) church and the followers are fighting both movie and book as if it were the most evil thing ever. They are the one's who creating a big fuzz around it, which only makes people more eager to read/watch it. :lol:
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

elfprince13 wrote:I was dealing with the argument at hand. If you want to have a religous debate, then lets start another topic. if you want to deal with why I think Da Vinci code is BS then this is in fact the place. oh and if you think this is me being offended, then just wait till you say something that is actually offensive.
This wasn't about what topic it was. I expressed my opinion about how important the historic details discussed about the movie and the bible are in the context of that the movie entails doubts towards a religion. If you had delt with the discussion at hand you wouldn't have made that opinion out for being a personal attack on you. Which you literally did no matter how you twist or turn it.

Unless you just feel like pressing the quote button next to my post and then direct your attention to anything but my post, which is fine, you didn't get my point and most certainly wasn't dealing with it as the topic at hand. What that means is up to you, I know how I understand that situation.
Interestingly enough I dont think of the Bible like a really big collection of fables.
A story can be true. Fables are not, by definition.
what are your motivations for believing in the Internet? to me at least, its as real as that.
To me it's only real in the sense that I experience it in every literal detail I know of it. I can not say the same of the bible. I can say the same of values that lie at the heart of many religions.
And my faith? I think I understand what faith means. it means trusting in something. I trust in the bible, and in God.
Surely faith in a religious context means a little bit more than just trusting something.
Jesus is a cool dude.
No, what's that?

Oh and anyone saying anything about quote wars can go play in traffic.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kv83 wrote:
CoBB wrote:
The background information is true. Things like why Da Vinci drew Mona Lisa like he did and stuff. The plot is of course made up, but never the less it's a good read :)

The only thing that makes me laugh is how the (catholic) church and the followers are fighting both movie and book as if it were the most evil thing ever. They are the one's who creating a big fuzz around it, which only makes people more eager to read/watch it. :lol:
Yeah, I've been laughing about the same thing. I don't understand why the Catholic church would think that any Bible reading christian would throw that away for a FICTION STORY. Why must everyone disprove it. we already know it's not true. Oh, wait, most catholics don't even regularly read their Bible. So, they might just be stupid enough to latch onto this FICTION story as being true, and believe it over the Bible. That's sad. Well, I'm glad I'm not a catholic, but a Christian.

Now, no one else disprove this story. IT"S FICTION PEOPLE. KEEP THAT IN MIND. Look, you really want to? Go disprove Decipher. It is a story about the world facing destrucion. It's not biblical, it's based on some facts, and one could easily think that what their saying could happen. It's written in the same "everything you know about the world is wrong" sense. It was an international Bestseller.
Last edited by CompWiz on Thu 08 Jun, 2006 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

CompWiz wrote:Oh, wait, most catholics don't even regularly read their Bible. So, they might just be stupid enough to latch onto this FICTION story as being true, and believe it over the Bible. That's sad. Well, I'm glad I'm not a catholic, but a Christian.
You're very much being an ass here, do you realize that? I was raised Catholic, and I do somewhat take offense in this.

If there is one thing I truly hate, it's people believing that they are somehow "better" of "smarter" than others simply because of the culture they grew up in. There's only one way to get smarter, and that is through education. There's only one way to get better, and that is through practice. If I'm raised a Catholic and you raised a Christian (whatever the actual difference may be) that doesn't make you the slightest bit smarter or less gullible than me.

That said; reading the Bible on a regular interval doesn't make you smarter or less gullible either, only better at reading and perhaps remembering those specific texts, as reading it regularly counts as practice.
the (catholic) church and the followers are fighting both movie and book as if it were the most evil thing ever
Why are you so surprised? Don't you know many people around the world prayed yesterday because it was the sixth of the sixth of the sixth? You know, the number of the devil. Don't you know many people around the world killed children that were born on that day because they feared to have given birth to the devil's child? And that's just because of some number.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

Interestingly enough I dont think of the Bible like a really big collection of fables.
A story can be true. Fables are not, by definition.
maybe Im reading too much into your previous posts, but it certainly seemed to be implying a story which is most likely untrue. And an untrue story with a moral to it is usually considered a fable.
what are your motivations for believing in the Internet? to me at least, its as real as that.
To me it's only real in the sense that I experience it in every literal detail I know of it. I can not say the same of the bible. I can say the same of values that lie at the heart of many religions.
And my faith? I think I understand what faith means. it means trusting in something. I trust in the bible, and in God.
Surely faith in a religious context means a little bit more than just trusting something.
in a religious context it is trust, usually in a higher power such as God, without any evidence. I have faith that God exists. I have faith in him that is a god worth serving.
Jesus is a cool dude.
No, what's that?
Wikipedia.org wrote:Trilemma in Christian apologetics

The most famous trilemmaâ€â€Â
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Timendus wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Oh, wait, most catholics don't even regularly read their Bible. So, they might just be stupid enough to latch onto this FICTION story as being true, and believe it over the Bible. That's sad. Well, I'm glad I'm not a catholic, but a Christian.
You're very much being an ass here, do you realize that? I was raised Catholic, and I do somewhat take offense in this.
Actually, I was not just saying this to demean you, I've seen some statistics, and it is a fact that over half of all catholics do not read their Bible regularly. Now, I didn't say anywhere that all Catholics are bad. However, I don't think that anyone who regularly reads their Bible is going to completely change their beliefs because of a fiction story. I think that the reason the Catholic chuch is so worried is because they think that the DaVinci code will be able to sway the beliefs of some of the Catholics who do not read their Bible very much.

Now, there are some very devout Catholics who are great Christians. What I said was factual and based on a statistic. Hey, I used to be a Catholic. However, like I said, over half of all catholics, therefore most, do not read their Bible regularly. I'm not surprised, but it is sad. There are so many people who just go to church on Sunday and then forget about it for the rest of the week. That's one of the reasons I now go to a Church of Christ. Great place, very Bible oriented, people very friendly. And they care about you, they help you, and run like Bible studies so you don't stop learning from the Bible. But hey, if you like the Catholic church, great. Have fun. I have nothing against you.

Timendus wrote:the (catholic) church and the followers are fighting both movie and book as if it were the most evil thing ever
Why are you so surprised? Don't you know many people around the world prayed yesterday because it was the sixth of the sixth of the sixth? You know, the number of the devil. Don't you know many people around the world killed children that were born on that day because they feared to have given birth to the devil's child? And that's just because of some number.[/quote]

So, maybe they should read the Bible and what it says about the antichrist instead of just fearing the number 666. In fact, the only time the date was really that was in the year 6, at which time people didn't even use our current numbering system for years. And the Bible doesn't say that 666 is the date of the antichrist, it's the number. Obviously if thousands of people are born on that day, they can't all be the antichrist, and if only one was, it woudn't make much sense. If anyone killed their child, they're stupid, and very much unchristian. They do know that killing is a definite no, right?
Last edited by CompWiz on Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Yeah, we Catholics didn't do ourselves any favors by banning the book. It makes it look like we are trying to cover something up, which I believe is one of the big premises of the book.

As I said before, intelligent people will realize why it was banned, and not mistake it for a truthful account. However, there are a lot of unintelligent people.

I would be interested to hear Arcane WIzard's personal position on faith.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]