[LOOM] Loom - A Mystical Adventure Game

Projects that are no longer in development anymore.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Looking fab :)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Not a lot... which is unfortunate since the engine does them so easily. I might animate some things like the stars in the sky just to add some motion to the game.

Here's some screenies from the original game compared to my b/w interpretation.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

The other areas of the game won't look this close to the original. The second area is Crystalgard, home of the Glassmakers... and it's an entire city of glass. How I am going to do that in b/w is beyond me...
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

OMG, that's a really nice looking game. Would look incredible in greyscale I think... Too bad you can't fit enough greyscale images on one calculator for a decent game.

* edits a few pictures to prove his point:
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

For glass, you could try making everything out of triangles, but that's about all I can think of. Maybe add random glitters.

Timendus those look awesome.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Yeah, I would love to have done the game in actual graphics instead of sprite sheets... but there's just not enough room. Loom is pretty short for an adventure game, but even it is too big.

Even just using sprites is going to give me a big program. I'm trying to break the game down into pieces that can all fit (one at a time) in memory... that way non-calc-savvy people in schools can transfer the game to their friends via link cable.

For the glass city, I will probably do solid lines in the foreground and then use dotted lines to represent any shapes in the background. That should hopefully give a transparent feel to it without being too confusing to navigate.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

hey im pretty good with art and thought i'd help out cause this game's constantly getttin updated and don't want it to stop here. post some pictures of the glass and i'll put it to black and white? what size should i make them?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I REALLY like the tree, the one that can be found in your sig ... that thing is beautiful :).

Those grayscale conversions look awesome btw, i love my grayscale :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Ok I kind of lied... I spent tonight working on the Bobbin without staff sprite. There are a few points in the game where you don't have your staff, so I had to draw up a new set of sprites and add them in. I'll put them into the game so that they actually work some time this weekend. I'm going to the premier of X3 tomorow night, so I doubt I'll be programming anything then.
lecks wrote:hey im pretty good with art and thought i'd help out cause this game's constantly getttin updated and don't want it to stop here. post some pictures of the glass and i'll put it to black and white? what size should i make them?
Here's some pictures of Crystalgard. Anyone who would like to take a crack at it, please do. I'm using 6 x 4 maps of 16 x 16 sprites... sort of. A scene can be just one screen (aka a 6x4 map) or it can be several screens together, however each additional screen is only a 5x4 map, because one column of tiles appears on both screens. (Hope that makes sence... look at the animated screenies if it doesn't.)

Don't those make you that have never played Loom want to get a copy? ;)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hehe... I played it through. Several times. It was amazing back than. Really good looking, but really short aswell (2-3 hours gameplay if I remember). A very innovative and "different" game :)

This project is now featured :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Congrats on the feature, hopefully this will spur you on more!

Im also going to go see X-men 3, it looks awesome! :D.

[Just got back from the Australia v Greece friendly (soccer) ... we won 1-0 w00t! :)).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Oh wow! Thanks Kv :). I was a little scared when I couldn't find the thread, lol.

I PMed Kozak yesterday and asked him about a Loom forum, for the final additions after the game engine is done and for beta testing. Also, if Maxcoderz would like this game, they are welcome to have it. I figure it would be mutually beneficial... you can add another game to your archive and I can release my first game with an established group instead of just on my own.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

i got this far when i realized it won't all fit on the screen... Image
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

That looks great, but the only problem is that it doesn't break up into 16 x 16 sprites very well. Also, your character is a 16 x 16 sprite also, so the scale would be off.

But thanks for the pic! I will probably show a greyscale picture of each new area before you endter it. I can use your picture for that.

The greyscale pictures will include:
1. Loom Island
2. Crystalgard (Guild of Glassmakers)
3. The Pasture (Guild of Shepherds)
4. Possibly the Dragon's Volcano
5. The Forge (Guild of Blacksmiths)
6. The Cathedral (Guild of Clerics)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Well, I think I finally have all of Bobbin's sprite and all the code to handle his sprite done. He has 4 directions, with 3 walking sprites in each direction, plus talking and spell casting sprites. Then there's also all of those again, only without the staff. That means his sprite alone is about 9k... and that's not including the ginormous chunk of code for figuring out which of those sprites should be displayed at which time.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

Hmm, 9k for the sprites alone and then the code yet... This'll be a BIG game.