Opera Better than Firefox

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Deathsting

Opera Better than Firefox

Post by Deathsting »

Opera outperforms Firefox and Internet Explorer in a review in the July issue of the leading German IT magazine Chip.

The article is available as a PDF file here (2,9mb).
http://my.opera.com/community/reviews/chip.pdf
Opera wins PC-Magazin browser test

In a review featuring all leading browsers, German PC Magazin's Testsieger (test winner) goes to Opera in recognition of its innovation, security and user-friendliness.
http://www.pc-magazin.de/aktionen/browser/

And if u didnt have enough money to afford Opera this might make u happy-
Add an Opera button or banner to your website and get a free Opera license.
Currently working on ColdFusion
Visit our programing group at revsoft.org
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The browser wars will never end, will they? :roll:
Opera is a nice browser, but the interface is a bit sucky. Firefox is alright, but the interface is buggy, as is the download manager. IE "just works", but doesn't support a variety of things yet that make life easier for us web-devving types. *grumbles, goes back to Lynx* :)

Oh, and:
Deathsting

Post by Deathsting »

The original opera skin does suck a bit. But try skins
There are millions of good skin (firefox has very few good ones)
Try Netscape, cocoa, Emil, Neo. They are the best
GO OPERA
DA BEST
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Deathsting wrote:The original opera skin does suck a bit. But try skins
There are millions of skin (firefox has very few good ones)
Try Netscape, cocoa, Emil, Neo. There the best
GO OPERA
I don't mean "what it looks like", sure there are some nice skins. I mean "the way it is arranged, the way the buttons and things work". I couldn't even get the tab strip to go just above the pages, it was above the row of buttons. It's advanced, but I'd also like it to be simple. Firefox beats it for that, with a very neat no-hassle interface. Then again, I'm more one for interacting with the web page I'm on than the web browser, so I prefer a very minimalist interface.
Deathsting

Post by Deathsting »

I think thats the best part abt opera
U dont like the google/Adress/tool bar where it is. Goto customize and simply drag the bar, where u would like it 8)
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

benryves wrote:Then again, I'm more one for interacting with the web page I'm on than the web browser, so I prefer a very minimalist interface.
Press F11. :P
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:
benryves wrote:Then again, I'm more one for interacting with the web page I'm on than the web browser, so I prefer a very minimalist interface.
Press F11. :P
I do browse in Fullscreen quite a lot, actually...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Yes, and that's where mouse gestures and a nice keyboard layout combined with the finally fixed download manager makes browsing really smooth. A relatively small userbase entails being an unpopular cracker target. Being practically the oldest browser around ensures that its makers know what's good for the user--no wonder all their best UI ideas are reappearing in the competing products. Oh, I'm in love. ;)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I only use Opera and have done so for some time. I used to use IE but once my computer became infected with spyware i switched and havent had a single piece of spyware on my system since :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

same (almost) with firefox...some day when i get my own compy I'll try them all out to see the best one.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

The best one is always the one you're used to, the others will just irritate in every moment. You need to use them each at least for a month to gain enough experience.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

tr1p1ea wrote:...and havent had a single piece of spyware on my system since :).
I'd be very interested to know how you got spyware onto your PC through IE. I've never actually known of anyone who can reliably tell me how it got there. I've had software that installs itself into IE (MSN Plus, for example) but never found a case of software that just "appears" when using IE.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well it came from my brother just going to gaming sites and looking for free sporting goods or something. He just went to the wrong site and i guess it used some exploits to install spyware ... i know plenty of people who have been in the same situation.

Granted this was an older version of IE, i dont know what the security of it is like now. That said i dont really care either :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

spyware usually comes on internet games and popups... sometimes even pressing X will load stuff on your compy. then once you get some it is like your computer gets magnetic and the spywares just hop on then your computer gets more strongly magnetic because of the spyware ect.
downloads usually give you some then the rest pile on.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

To clear out any BS, spyware on IE comes from saying YES to the activeX installation prompts which appear on many different sites via advertising companies, or having your security settings low enough that they install without prompting.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.