Jedi Remnants- updated on 6/21/05

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Comikal

Jedi Remnants- updated on 6/21/05

Post by Comikal »

With the completion of CCR, and the last 2 weeks of my sophomore year at HS, I plan to start another project. I'm working on a fighting/rpg, much like ToS (Tales of Symphonia) in style of fighting, except for only 2 sprites per screen (yours and your target). It will be based off of my friend's storyline, who does not TI-program at all.

With a new project, I plan to do things differently. First of all, I'm not touching fFRPL (Fast-RPL) editor until I am completely finished with the game concepts, such as:
-Enemies: 75%
-Playable Chars: 100%
-Fighting Stages: 0%
-World Map: 0%
-Towns: 0%
-Armors: 100%
-Restoratives: 0%
-Saber customization: 100%
-HUD: 50%
Work project page: www.comikorp.net/projects/premnants.htm
This site will have the bulk of my work/concept stuff in it. Unfortunately, since it is a public website, it will not have all of my stuff, but I didn't want to go over the post limits for a post here :)

This is only a little bit of the things I will be doing for this project. I hope to do a RT (real-time) battle engine, but if it does not work out, I will use a TB (turn-based) battle engine. Because I am not a sprite maker, I will require assistance from you guys in order to make this project a success. Soon, the project page will be up at ComiKorp (my website).
Last edited by Comikal on Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Working on my FastRPL physics sim.
Game in planning stages.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

just wondering why don't you put your website in your sig?
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

thecheat wrote:just wondering why don't you put your website in your sig?
there is a little button under my sig. "WWW". Click that. That's why I dont have it in my sig (anymore, it used to be in there.)
Game in planning stages.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

oh I guess that would be it... (check pm)
FrostFusion

Post by FrostFusion »

Just curious if you got this idea from mine :wink: . I don't really care but just wondering. I like when I inspire people. Makes me feel important. LOL
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

wha?.... :puzzled:
FrostFusion

Post by FrostFusion »

My game is based of Crystal Sword and I wanted to know if it inspired him to make this game. It was just a question and it was pretty clear :lol:
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

After reading the first page of yours, Frost, it is very much like yours. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be truly 3D. It'll be more like...lemme think, Soul Caliber in terms that there will be a lightsaber customization, and but its like ToS in terms of techniques (pauses and calculates and then resumes).
Game in planning stages.
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

sorry for dbl post, but----
Just to let you guys know, I wont be doing any major things with JR until school is done, which is june 17th! So please be patient.
Game in planning stages.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I'd say double posting is fine if theres at least 2-3 days without another person's post. And yeah, I know how school can be in the way of things when it comes to personal projects. Good luck on this, it sounds to be quite an interesting game, just keep up the work and don't lose interest! :)
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

woah june 17 that's abit late us peoples here in georga get out late may...

too bad you can't do much because of school. but thisgame does look promising.
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

Just another update:
I havent been able to get on much, and I also havent released much about my project here or on my site. AND unfortunately, I still do not have ths storyline, so I'm moving to plan B. As soon as school gets out (9:28 tomorrow morning EST) I'll start working on code, since i plan to finish enemy concepts and restoratives tonight, putting off anything graphic. An alpha test won't be released for a while, sorry. Also, I don't have much of my summer to work, around the third week in July, I'll be gone until August 12th. (I also have summer assignments. School sucks!) But I'll be working on this little by little.

What I've done so far:
-No code :(
-Playable character
-Skills
-Variable Assignments (on paper, not in-calc)
-Stats
-Weapons
-Armors
-Anything not graphic (Towns, HUD, Fighting stages, enemy sprites)

See you all tomorrow.
Game in planning stages.
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

I need some help here people. If anyone has done a little RPL-programming on the side, and knows how to import libs into RPL, please post or pm me. Without this, using sprites will be very difficult (especially for live action fighting/rpg)
Game in planning stages.
Comikal

Post by Comikal »

Unfortunately, I am not going to do any coding this summer or maybe year because of...
1)Kuda is planning on coming out with RPL 0.6 soon, which will have better sprite features, which may include greyscale.
2)The RPL libs are also coming out soon, which will allow special features for RPL that are actually in ASM (Kinda like ASM libs for basic, but now its for RPL)
3)My friend never gave me the story i was supposed to be working off of, so I need to create one, which shouldn't take TOO long.

Also, theres a bit of a problem with space. Let me explain it to you...
In RPL, you dont actually need Pic0-9 to use sprites, you load them one time and they are set there, since it is written into the code. However, using one 8x8 sprite takes up one label. I have only 63 labels to work with (A-Z,a-z,1-0, and theta) And since I'm using a fighting game, I need large sprites, some are 32x32. Unfortunately, one 32x32 sprite takes up 16 8x8 blocks, or 16 labels. Obviously, this will not work. Also, I have to make alot of cuts to make up for this.

At first, I had the game as a 2 character fighting game, which meant you could switch between your fighters IN-BATTLE. But now, I cannot do this because thats alot of sprites, variables, and labels. (I also only have 53 variables, A-Z,a-z,theta) The list of features exlcuded would go on and on, so I'm gonna stop there.

Don't expect this game to come out this summer or this year, since im going to fine-tune everything, and release stuff in stages.
Game in planning stages.
kuda

Post by kuda »

Dont worry about sprite, the system is going to change :
sprites will be in an external structured file, so will the 8*8 spritelist for the tilemapping routine, and also matrix and string if you want...
you wont have to use labels anymore
+---------------------------+
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |