Ocarina of Time...

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Mike K

Post by Mike K »

I liked link's awakening, there is an irony in the final prerendering scene when, OMG, link awakens on a log at sea! Though, the windfish flying overhead didn't make too much sense, I still thought it was a really good game. Don't forget about Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, although I contest that LA was better than those two.

-Mike
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

why would the enviroments NEED to be organic...{IGNORE, TRANSPOSED IDEA...MAKES NO SENSE}...draw distance probably wouldn't be that be bad
Last edited by necro on Fri 03 Jun, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Zelda in a non-organic environment isn't Zelda.
And what do you mean with "and doors to separate the ..."?

I can't see how some simple enemies attacking and roaming about should be slow, there must be a major programming-flaw if some enemy events should slow things down remarkably. The downsides with greyscale should be tilemapping and memory consumption.

About 3rd person, one way could be to render mipmapped tree-bodies and some trunks under at different heights plus grass and flowers close to the camera. That way, there will be no need for a landscape body to be rendered (the mind will be fooled to fill in the gaps inbetween) but one will have to devise some method to determine what vegetation is visible. The hard bit will be buildings, they'll cover the entire screen if they're up close. Some sort of occlusion mask (image-based with areas against which everything to be rendered are tested against) can stop far away vegetation to be rendered and then 'just' render house contours with lines on top. Same thing as with the ground, the mind will fill in the walls.
So there are my ideas, start coding :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

necro wrote:why would the enviroments NEED to be organic...a third person engine for link's awakening with some kind of interupt based level loading with a enemy buffer and doors to seperate the ...and draw distance probably wouldn't be that bad
Errr are you sure you even know what you are talking about necro? That doesnt really make any sense?

Someone already made something very cimilar to what you just described coelurus ... It was a 3D RPG engine with scaled trees and chests and things, but it was way to difficult to figure out where you were going and what exactly differen things were.

I think this is it: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 18897.html
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

A good reason to why 3D is not viable on calcs, but that was a pretty hackish little demo. Only way to make proper 3rd person though.
chronoflare

Post by chronoflare »

Its a pretty crazy idea. You would have to have 3d, changeable camera angles, Z/L-Targeting, a lot of items, a lot of variables to manage. A lot of details, decent cutscenes, Epona racing, marathon, masks, biggoron sword. I can see many reasons not to do it. I say stick with 2d and after LA go to LttP
Long retired from this forum. For all of those who are still coding here back from the days I posted, rock on.
If you are interested to see what I am working on now go to http://www.axulyon.com/
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

does this mean that you are making a bigger screen so you can actually see what's happening? :lol:
Spooner

Post by Spooner »

This could be possible on the 89. Or at least I think it could be.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

coelurus wrote:Zelda in a non-organic environment isn't Zelda.
And what do you mean with "and doors to separate the ..."?

I can't see how some simple enemies attacking and roaming about should be slow, there must be a major programming-flaw if some enemy events should slow things down remarkably. The downsides with greyscale should be tilemapping and memory consumption.

About 3rd person, one way could be to render mipmapped tree-bodies and some trunks under at different heights plus grass and flowers close to the camera. That way, there will be no need for a landscape body to be rendered (the mind will be fooled to fill in the gaps inbetween) but one will have to devise some method to determine what vegetation is visible. The hard bit will be buildings, they'll cover the entire screen if they're up close. Some sort of occlusion mask (image-based with areas against which everything to be rendered are tested against) can stop far away vegetation to be rendered and then 'just' render house contours with lines on top. Same thing as with the ground, the mind will fill in the walls.
So there are my ideas, start coding :)
ignore the whole 'door' thing...