Hi

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

TI84SE

Hi

Post by TI84SE »

Hi everyone!

Well, after downloading some maxcoderz games (The Verdantes Forest), I wound up on this site and registered an account :) .

I own a TI-84+ Silver Edition. It was my first calculator (well actually, I had an 86, but then I returned it for a 89 Platinum, but my teacher said I couldn't use them on tests so I just got the 84+SE :wink: ). I've tried a lot of games, I don't fancy BASIC games that much mainly because of graphics and lag. I like Assembly games, the maxcoderz games I've played so far I've enjoyed. At programming games myself, I am a noob. I know the sheer basics of BASIC programming (Output, Pause, If/Then, ...you get the point). I tried to learn assembly once, one look at the code and I just gave up :cry: I thought if I couldn't even program BASIC, why try assembly? So anyways, that's about it. I particularly like The Verdantes Forest, it rocks! (if it was in grayscale it would be 10x better, however it is still awesome the way it is now :wink: )

~TI84SE
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I can't program BASIC programs beyond quick-and-nasty maths programs. Go figure :)
Welcome!
TI84SE

Post by TI84SE »

benryves wrote:I can't program BASIC programs beyond quick-and-nasty maths programs. Go figure :)
Welcome!
Lol. Yea all me and my friend (Jasce) basically do on our calcs are text-based programs, or image display programs, or animation (we draw several pictures using DRAW, then save em and loop them :) ). Currently I am working on a Hamtaro dancing animation program :) Programmed completely in basic using ASCII graphics on the homescreen :lol:. I am the best programmer ever! (Don't steal my idea please :( if you do then give me recognition for original concept and send me the program's code)

I'm such a noob.

~TI84SE
gimpynerd
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gimpynerd »

I'm pretty proficient at both Basic and ASM although much faster at Basic. I like ASM much more though.

Dude that sucks you dumped the 89Ti for a 84+SE. You will regret it once you reach Calculus. It is a life saver!
Reginald Tucker (Gimpynerd) www.gimpynerd.com
Amateur Programmer / Game Designer

Want to learn Z80 assembly? E-mail me at gimpynerd@gmail.com to set up a time for lessons!
TI84SE

Post by TI84SE »

gimpynerd wrote:I'm pretty proficient at both Basic and ASM although much faster at Basic. I like ASM much more though.

Dude that sucks you dumped the 89Ti for a 84+SE. You will regret it once you reach Calculus. It is a life saver!
Nah man. My parents are *cough*loaded with cash!*cough*.

I'll get the TI-89 once I'm a junior (I'm a freshman right now, in Algebra II).

I was debating on whether or not the get the 89-Titanium, 92 Plus, or Voyager 200. Which is best? There don't seem to be many games for any of them. Memory wise and speed wise, which are better? I saw a comparison chart of all the calculators, a bunch are not made any more now but the 3 best are 89-Titanium, 92 Plus, and Voyager 200 right? I don't care about money, just which one is best :D

~TI84SE
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Although ben cant code in basic all that well, he is one of the best ASM coders out there :). I never bothered that much with basic either.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
gimpynerd
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gimpynerd »

I really only use it for math programs.

I suggest the 89Ti...it has the same amount of memory as the V200, is smaller, and is allowed on SAT, ACT, and AP exams. They all have the same funcionality, but the bigger oned have a qwerty keyboard and a bigger screen. Once again go with the 89Ti.

Want to learn Z80 assembly? E-mail me at gimpynerd@gmail.com to set up a time for lessons!
TI84SE

Post by TI84SE »

tr1p1ea wrote:Although ben cant code in basic all that well, he is one of the best ASM coders out there :). I never bothered that much with basic either.
So I should stop wasting my time with BASIC :D .

It's pretty fun though, and I really want to finish my Hamtaro program :lol:

I'm hoping to be really good at BASIC by the end of 10th grade, then move on the Assembly in 11th grade.

~TI84SE
gimpynerd
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gimpynerd »

ASM was my first language after Basic and it is also my favorite. I stongly suggest getting into now. The techniques and habits learned from coding in assembly help immensely even in higher level languages.

TI84SE

Post by TI84SE »

gimpynerd wrote:ASM was my first language after Basic and it is also my favorite. I stongly suggest getting into now. The techniques and habits learned from coding in assembly help immensely even in higher level languages.
I don't plan on becoming a hardcore programmer or anything, I just think BASIC is pretty fun.

BASIC is a higher level language right? At least that's what I've read on most tutorials.

Assembly looks...just confusing. Too complex for my simple mind :D

~TI84SE
gimpynerd
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gimpynerd »

actually for larger programs it is simpler than higher level languages sometimes...at least to me.

and yes Basic is a very high level language.

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

hmm, actually BASIC is even a batch file language :D , at least from what I've heard
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Actually, there are quite a few games for the 89/92+/V200 that will never, EVER be on the 83+/84+. At the very least, it has the same number, and the quality is generally much higher since you have a better processor, more memory, and a larger screen to work with.
ImageImage
gimpynerd
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gimpynerd »

check out chrono fantasy, sonic misadventures, and gb68K...

TI84SE

Post by TI84SE »

AndySoft wrote:Actually, there are quite a few games for the 89/92+/V200 that will never, EVER be on the 83+/84+. At the very least, it has the same number, and the quality is generally much higher since you have a better processor, more memory, and a larger screen to work with.
How come you hate the TI84+ SE so much? I have over 900k archive memory on it and at one point I had over 30+ games on it.

~TI84SE