[Tutorial] The Independant Java Tutorial

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

[Tutorial] The Independant Java Tutorial

Post by Patori »

Sorry CoBB for being inspired by the name of your Z80 tutorial, but I couldn't resist. Basically, this is what I am doing for my Senior project for the next two weeks. I know its ugly, but oh well. I'll fix it later. Updates all this week and next week... maybe even throughout the summer. Anyways... Suggestions, comments, people to attempt to test this tutorial would be nice... It's next year's programming class's lessons... :x

Later on this week, I will make sure all links work, and that code can be downloaded, as well as class files for these programs :)

The Independent Java Tutorial (IJT)

Thanks!! :wink:
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

The colour scheme is unbearable and illegible. You must use a neutral colour for the background--something bright with minimal saturation. Sorry, that's the first thing that struck me. ;)

Two things. C is closer to platform independence in the real world, because Java has serious compatibility issues between its different versions where even recompilation doesn't necesssarily help. It's an important point. Second, even if you use an IDE, you should talk about command line issues (javac, classpath and the like), because these things will most likely sting someone who doesn't know about them.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

CoBB wrote:The colour scheme is unbearable and illegible. You must use a neutral colour for the background--something bright with minimal saturation. Sorry, that's the first thing that struck me. ;)

Two things. C is closer to platform independence in the real world, because Java has serious compatibility issues between its different versions where even recompilation doesn't necesssarily help. It's an important point. Second, even if you use an IDE, you should talk about command line issues (javac, classpath and the like), because these things will most likely sting someone who doesn't know about them.
OK, thanks... don't worry bout the colors, they are getting changed... anyways... I'll use some other language to demonstate what I mean, and I plan to teach about the command line stuff... but that's for later....

thanks for your input!
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I can't read it! I had to copy the text into notepad first :wink:
EDIT: Oh, mindpiss CoBB. Mindpiss. :roll:
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

It would have been a click just as for me, had you been using my favourite browser. ;)
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

changed! How's that look? Better, I hope...
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:It would have been a click just as for me, had you been using my favourite browser. ;)
It looks fine in Lynx too. :P

EDIT: Now it looks fine. :D
Not that I know anything about compiling Java in snazzy IDEs...
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

and that's why I've added a link to clc.htm... which I will use to explain command line compiling in... Thanks! Anything else?
Last edited by Patori on Mon 09 May, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Patori wrote:changed! How's that look? Better, I hope...
A lot! Now you could increase the font size too.
ryves úr wrote:It looks fine in Lynx too.
I'm a w3m person, but whatever. :)
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

CoBB wrote:
Patori wrote:changed! How's that look? Better, I hope...
A lot! Now you could increase the font size too.
ryves úr wrote:It looks fine in Lynx too.
I'm a w3m person, but whatever. :)
How's that?
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

The links are unaffected, but it's much better still.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

check again.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Okay, the only cosmetic change that would still do some good is using truecolor pictures and the wonderful png format. Dithering just doesn't cut it. Other than that, call again when you have (significantly) more content to comment on.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

working on it... I don't know about the png... yet... Expect CLC tutorial to be done in hour...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Hey this might come in handy Patori :). Although i dont really like java ... and i have actually done a sun microsystems entry level java course, i did not pay attention thus i dont know anything about java (i still passed the exam though :P).

Great work! :).
Last edited by tr1p1ea on Mon 09 May, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."