Point and click game creator?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

AngelCyreneq

Point and click game creator?

Post by AngelCyreneq »

Hi, I'm a newbie here and [a sort of] newbie on calculators. I really like the games on this website and one day, like today, I want to be able to make a game of my own. I tried reading tuturals on coding and it seemed pretty complicated. Doe anyone know any game maker that is graphical, easy, not much programming needed, sort of like a "point and click" game creator.

I read about ARPG, but I have know idea where to find the game maker. If you can give me the link, that would be wonderful, thank you

Edit kv83: That was the worst subject ever created. :x
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

To my knowledge, there aren't any... that aren't more complicated to use because they just don't work. :(
Have you ever done any programming before? QBASIC, VB, a bit of JavaScript or LOGO even?
It looks like you've done some research, at least, so you do appear to be able to make the effort (which is always a relief). Have you tried doing any programming on the calculator's TI BASIC editor? It's unlikely that you can do an awful lot with that (unless you're a superb BASIC programmer and employ all sorts of crazy tricks to squeeze out an awesome game) but it can teach some simple coding basics. Unfortunately, TI-BASIC is a pretty horrible language in itself and doesn't exactly help with good coding techniques.
Unfortunately, I've found that the best way to learn to code is with someone to take you through it. Books and documentation are usually more confusing than they need to be - it's a good idea if you can find someone to pester via IM (MSN/AIM/whatever) to take you through programming.
It's not really much help what I've said, I know, but programming isn't scary, really, if you can find the right source to learn from.
AngelCyreneq

Post by AngelCyreneq »

No I haven't done any QBASIC, VB, JavaScript or LOGO.
I do know very little, HTML. If I say very little, I mean very little, enough to put pictures, websites, and make pretty fonts.

I played around with the editor on my calculator. I know how to make a program that does garbage collect and that's it.

Hmmm...about pestering someone through a messenger, *cough* you *cough* LOL, jk.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

HTML doesn't count since that isn't really programming, it's just markup.
ImageImage
AngelCyreneq

Post by AngelCyreneq »

AndySoft wrote:HTML doesn't count since that isn't really programming, it's just markup.
*bubble pop* HTML not programming? Geeze, and I was feeling pretty smart.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Don't worry about thinking HTML is a programming language - it appears most people do. It's just a markup language like RTF or TeX.

Feel free to pester me via MSN if you want. You wouldn't be the first... :wink:
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

HTML->Javascript->C->(Z80 or x86) Assembly is probably your best learning order.
AngelCyreneq

Post by AngelCyreneq »

Spencer wrote:HTML->Javascript->C->(Z80 or x86) Assembly is probably your best learning order.
Since coding isn't visual, how do you know what you need to do for the game? Where to put the objects and stuff?
Mortal-God

Post by Mortal-God »

what exactly do you mean by objects, it has a distinct meaning in programming (IE: object oriented languages).

You can think of programming like a list of steps each step is executed and then the next. There are areas of memory defined for things like variables and data that can be called to to save or retreive data. I think this is what you mean by objects. Those can really go anywhere. So long as they are properly called to. Thats a simple explination.
Luthar

Post by Luthar »

AngelCyreneq wrote:
Spencer wrote:HTML->Javascript->C->(Z80 or x86) Assembly is probably your best learning order.
Since coding isn't visual, how do you know what you need to do for the game? Where to put the objects and stuff?

Just from me being a novice/newbie at this as well, it just takes some practice...ASM though..I have no idea yet, but with BASIC there are some pretty simple things to follow...
Archia...BASIC....ASM....erk...scratch ASM..yep don't know ASM
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

JavaScript is probably not the best idea as it's got loads of quirks when trying to get it to actually do something (inconsistencies between browsers, for example).
If you can find a copy of VB6, I'd suggest that as it's a very graphical way to design a program, but you still have to write code to handle all the parts of it together. I used to run VB6 classes and non-coders would pick it up very quickly.
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

AngelCyreneq wrote:Since coding isn't visual, how do you know what you need to do for the game? Where to put the objects and stuff?
1. Sure its visual. It be hard to code without being able to see the code now is it?
2. Wherever you need them.

A better answer for one is to visualize what effect you want to happen and then code how you think it works. Then you test it and if it doesnt do what you want then you go and fix it.

For two, neither of the languages are OOP so there are no "object"s . You can make the effect of objects with well designed code.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Yeah, since I started Java I found myself making Basic code that resembled OOP more and more- I have generalized subroutines that take input from the main program and generate an output when finished (or not).

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I think learning OOP as a first language would be total hell: I mean really, with OOP, just about everything that does anything is in its own include file, and you have to know which one to include otherwise you're at a loss.. I hate OOP because of that, but.. eh :P Too many dependancies.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

hmm...I actually prefer OOP languages. It just seems to make more sense to me. Maybe that's just because my first programming language was C++ and I just got used to it. :P In fact, even in asm I have this urge to set things up as if they are different objects...probably really bad for optimization. :roll:
bananas... o.o