Blue World - Test

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Cool! Mortal combat like battle implemented in RPGs!!! Super sweet! I liked fightin games but I didnt liked the fact there was no story, so now with a story it's gonna PWN! :)
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

hehe, yup!

wait...story? Crap, i knew i forgot something...
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Right now I'm working on something else rather special: magic and status effects :D That SHOULD make the AI a bit more tolerable. I'm still working out the details as to how you find them. I think I may actually have a purpose to repeat vs Narr battles
I've also figured out the layout for the locations, but I haven't made the locations themselves. Right now, I'm more worried about it all fitting properly. It's 8k as an asm file and I haven't made the transition of the battle system into APP format yet, so I'm not sure...it might get to the point where i CAN'T make it as an app, thus meaning I can't make it...crap...
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

Blue World - Coming soon
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well hopefully you can work around these problems vahn. There a lot of fans for your games, lets hope it doesnt stop here :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

well, i just ported it to APP code, and it worked just as well in the ASM version :D

now all I have to do is worry about the size >.>

Blue World - Coming soon
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well at least it is working! :). So how big do you project this will become? Do you think it will end up being a multipage app?
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

oh, of course. The fighting system as it is now wihtout any pics for specials and only 1 enemy is about 8k. The map engine and a few maps is about 4k.
I plan on having about 5 regular enemies and about 4 bosses...Quite a few items, 6 Arts attacks plus Over Soul, 12 Magic spells. And, of course, a story. I'm thinking of having quests as well, for something else to do, but I'm still trying to think up some and have it go with the story and the world. Oh yeah, the magic and Arts abilities will be able to be leveled up, since you won't be able to level up Maaku...kinda like a real fighting game. I'm not sure. I might have a few items that'll beef up your stats.

If I can get the battle system up and running better than it is now, I might make a demo and release it on ticalc.org

Blue World - Coming soon
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Demo's are always cool, but try not to give too much away until the final is done :).
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

no problem with that...i don't really have that much TO give away right now >XD

Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Well, I've finally got a better idea as to how to piece this game together. The story itself is fairly short, but it's 'padded' with Quests. In fact, that's pretty much all the game is. It's not like one of those crappy Quests games where you go to random NPCs and they give you stuff to do and that's all the quests are. There might be some of those, but the majority are quests that you are given at the City of Two-Tails. I haven't really decided how all of them will be, but I don't want it to be just collecting stuff and bringing it back although I can't exactly do stuff like protecting people in battle. I'm still working on it, but what I was planning is that if you take one quest, it can close off others, thus allowing the player different choices each playthrough and ultimately a different ending. Again, I'm still not sure as to how it'll all come together, because for each storyline and ending that I create, I have to remember that it has to stay canon with the comic since it's basically a prequel to it.

Much stuff to do...
If I can get the battle system done and work on some dialog boxes, I'll probably piece together a demo that'll give a better idea as to what all will happen in the full version of the game...

Blue World - Coming soon
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

cooooooool
Life is getting better.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

any progress on this thing?
bananas... o.o
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

ya know what? I ACTUALLY forgot about this thing >XD

Progress is coming along quite well. Actually, not really at all for the past 2 weeks. Mostly because I have rediscovered the joys of Final Fantasy XI. My PC runs it rather well and it's kept me occupied during the times when I'm not working on my comic. For the first week, it was like an addiction, and then it kind of tapered off once I got my chocobo. Plus, this past 3 days I've been the only one at home and it's given me a lot of time to be by myself and think, and think I did.

The HP in battle is now done on a sort of ratio thing. Before I was just doing HP/2 and that's how much HP to display in the bar. Now, it's a rather simple yet complex formula that makes it fit just right. I've also worked on the enemy's AI quite a bit. Now, rather than beating you to death in 3 seconds, it will randomly decide whether it will attack or not, making it a bit easier on you. In some cases, too easy. I'm to the point where I need to work on using the items. However, I don't really HAVE any items made up yet. Sure, I have a couple for use in battle, but I haven't really sat down and programmed them in yet. You see, unlike in MtSQuest - True, it's real time. And I can't just have the player instantly use a Full Leaf to bring their HP back to full mid battle before dying. No, there will be a timer thing for each item and until that timer reaches 0, you can't use the item..in fact, if you get hit enough while trying to use the item, you may end up not using it at all! I'm not saying that it'll take forever and a day to get an item to work, but I'm pretty sure most won't be instant.

I've also started working on magic. The magics are rather basic spells whose sole use is to cause and cure status effects. The player and some enemies will be able to perform them and cast certain status effects on the target, like the first one the player gets is Stop which will, obviously, stop the target...unless the target resists the spell. Whether you are resisted or not as well as the duration of the status effect is dependant upon your Mind stat. Remember, Maaku is a fighter, not a mage, so more often than not you can't rely upon the magic to get you through.

Oh, yes, speaking of the spells, the magic spells and special attacks will level up, rather than the player leveling up. Think i've said that before. Anyway, they can level up, but special attacks just do more damage while the magics get stronger and do more damage.

I'm thinking about doing equipment as well, since you won't be able to level up anything but your special attacks. There'd be items that increase attack power, or defense power, or mind, or maybe all three. Of course, there'd also be equips that'd increase one while decreasing another. I dunno, I just thought of adding this today...

Recently I've laid out all the areas you can visit, but as for what you can DO in them or how you get there I haven't come up with yet. This brings me to the next part. Alot of the systems and functions and routines and garblebarfs have been build, but most of them haven't been put together. The map and all its contents are one big part, while the battle system is the other big part. And, it's about time that those 2 parts come together. Once I can figure up some quests and story and junk, I'll put the parts together, clean them up and finish them a bit, and then release a demo. By then, everything should be ready enough for me to easily make the rest of the game and then release it. God knows how long THAT will be, however...

Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

(deletes previous post)
Sir Posts-A-Lot?

Anyway, I just finished turning the z80 fighting system into an app and it runs rather well. It's fast on the emu and the calc. Now it's just a matter of getting some quests made and some more enemies programmed and some other graphics and stuff made and I'll be ready to ship out a demo ^_^

Blue World - Coming soon
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

Sorry about triple posting, but I'm to the point where if I want to continue, I need tiles. I know, I know, the badass comic drawer can't make 8x8 tiles, but it's a bit different from drawing something by hand >.>

So, if I can get some help, I'd be most appreciative!

Blue World - Coming soon