Illusiat 12 (a.k.a the Home Screen Liberation Front)

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DJ_O
Calc King

Illusiat 12 (a.k.a the Home Screen Liberation Front)

Post by DJ_O »

HOME SCREEN LIBERATION FRONT

Ok, I know this is not really a projects, but today I am announcing that I am currently translating the final Illusiat 12 game into english. I think it should have been done before but at that time I got the reuben grayscale idea so I putted the project on hold. Now I am resuming developpement on this translation project. Altough the in game graphics use ASCII sprites (home screen), I think that with the in games features it's worth the effort of translating the game from french to english. Let me explain a bit...

Illusiat 12 is a turn based RPG with one vs one battle and epic storyline, like Reuben Quest. Altough the storyline is very stereotyped, it's true to RPGs. Actually you are a mage who have to save the world :oops: . However here is the list of features:
-Average of 30 hours of gameplay. YES, TRUST ME! 30 hours of gameplay!!! And it can even reach 40 hours (or maybe more) since the game has some secrets, side quests and hidden passages, but basically those who are experienced in RPG gaming should beat the game in a average of 30 hours. I have difficulty beating the game in only 25 hours and I am on a Silver Edition Calc! :)
-15 swords. Like in secret of Mana, Every time you beat a boss, you get an orb. Then you can go to the swordsmith to forge your sword with this orb! Also the final sword have a lil nifty power (a secret)!
-Lot of bosses. Actually only mini-boss give orbs, not the bosses so there is more than 15 boss (I dont remember the number since the game is huge and there are a lot)
-Cool magic animations. Altough they are ASCII, I made them enjoyable enough so they are almost grayscale, especially the bolt animation
-9 magics, there are 4 others, but they can only be used by bosses late in the game
-breakable limits. Those who played Final Fantasy X might know what they are. When you get for example Break HP limit, you are allowed to exceed 9999 HP for a maximum of 99999, with MP you can exceed 999 and go up to 9999, the LV one extend your limit from 99 to 255 and the damage one extend your limit from 9999 damage to 99999. However monsters alerady have broken those limits be4 you so they can cause more than 9999 damage when you can only have 9999 HP. Near the end of the game you are around level 210 and 230.
-Lot of world to explore. I haven counted the amount of rooms yet, but there are over 500 or 600 I'm sure
-I dont know if I forgot any features so I might add them here later I have some reminders

Basically if you find the code to be not as optimised as my recent games (actually there might be some ERR:MEMORY after 5 hours of gameplay so you need to save often) and the game seems to run fast, but not as fast as it could be in BASIC, you have to think about the fact that the game was written almost 2.5 years ago, back in december 2002. Also it's written in PURE BASIC, absolutely no ASM libs have been used in the game, the only thing that required me an ASM program (which was the french APP and MirageOS) was the lowercase letters and the special greek character, but it's still BASIC since no ASM programs are included with the game. Also since the game have many features and is pretty long, it's also very very very huge. It takes 78 KB of memory on my SE, that's almost half of the TI-83+ archive, but I think installing it is still worth the effort. If I would make this game in xLIB with graphical sprites it would take at least 1.2 MB of archive memory I am sure due to the massive amount of maps and data

So basically thats my curreent project I am working on, this might take me a while, translating 20 KB of text from french to english but I think it's worth the effort, since the game graphics are hiding many great features. AND REMEMBER ONE THING, THERE IS NOT ONLY GRAPHICS THAT MAKE A GAME GOOD
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
MetalHead25
Extreme Poster

Post by MetalHead25 »

sounds NICE!
I WORSHIP THOSE WHO LIKE METAL

'MY OTHER RIDE IS YOUR MOM....'
ImageJeff Hanneman-Slayer (1991 Black Magic Video)
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Yeah, this is a great idea. :D

Even though, my grasp of the french language is sufficent enough to understand the words spoken in this game, i am.......lazy. :lol:
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

Hmm, maybe you should recode it from scratch! Ok, that would be long, well, I hope you do finish this, becuase I tried playing the French version, and just got lost...
Shaun
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Progress: So far the first chapter is being translated and I am done with the main program. One thing I forgot to mention is that the game is divided into 10 chapters. Yes, not 3, 4 or 5 chapter, 10!!! I had to do this because of lack of RAM. However unlike FFTOM you can have all the chapters at once on the same calc so you dont need to go on the comp everytime you have to change to another chapter, much like The Verdante Forest. Also in the update I will change the installation procedure. In the current french version you need to send all the grouped programs on calc, then ungroup them on calc, archive everything, delete the groups then unarchive the RAM files. However now it will work a bit like my most recent games, there will be a RAM folder and archive folder. Since there is no asm lib and no hacked pictures variables it will be easier to install the game and alot faster too.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

is it in asm on basic?
Life is getting better.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

The name of the one who created this topic should give you the awnser :)
Last edited by DJ_O on Mon 18 Apr, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 28 times in total.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

"... Also it's written in PURE BASIC ..."
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

..and was written 2 years ago...

<off-topic>This thread is now sacred because it's the home of the most edited post ever seen on a forum, just look at my post above how many times it has been edited</off-topic>
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

ROFL! 28 times? That is crazy :).

I saw what it said before ... i wonder what it said the other 27 times :?.
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

same thing 27 times. I love the click-on-submit/backspace-combination or clicking, especially when the server is running fast :twisted:
tokijnct

Post by tokijnct »

I bet I can beat that...only have to update my game progress list...25 more times :)
Projects:
Phantasy Star Dark Millenia - Put aside for the moment...

UnitedTI BASIC Competition
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Sorry for not updating this for a while. Well in fact I took a small break then I started beta-testing xLIB so it took most of my time. I recently restarted tralslating the game again and made lot of progress (altough I havent posted it). Basically now there is only 7 remaining programs waiting to be translated so not much work ahead (I think). :)

Once it's done I will probably play the game a bit but since I want to make an animated screenshot from a further chapter in the game I will have to hack the save fle or it will take weeks or months before I get very far in the game. Basically expect to see the largest homescreen RPG ever in existence (from what I know) to come out soon
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, sounds very cool indeed :).
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: Illusiat 12 (a.k.a the Home Screen Liberation Front)

Post by DarkAuron »

Kevin wrote:-breakable limits. Those who played Final Fantasy X might know what they are.
:excited: :twisted: :shockedpuzzled: :mrgreen: :o :) :worship: :alien: 8) :yes:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194