Death of a Laptop Hard drive...

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Jim e wrote:The thing is, I know it's my sister fault, I have 3 other laptop harddrives all of which are much older(oldest is turning 8 on my birthday), and they all still work. Hers is 3 years old, I know normal harddrive can die pretty easy, but Laptop harddrive were meant to be more durable.

What really makes this sad is that it was abused, and my sister didn't even warn me in time for a successful back up to preserve the memory of a loyal drive.

Hmmm.. I should do back up my drive soon, I don't have a second 80gig harddrive to back up weekly.
Ahh well, I should take the blame for the second one. I dropped mine 4 feet. It worked fine until I forgot to shut my laptop down when it was in my backpack. I think the heat pushed it over the edge.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

My 80gb HD is at my sister's, where I'm at now. I'm transferring stuff from my 20gb to my 80gb and formatting my old one. Ah upgrading is such bliss. Especially since the 20gb one has win98 and the 80gb has win98SE, which in my experience is a huge difference. And no, I'm not getting XP anytime soon. Especially since I'm broke!
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Man, I have to admitt see that laptop fresh with spiffy new updates, NO SPYWARE and NO VIRUS, being treated like it was meant be, felt nice.

Now there is a whole new problem, The adapter that connects to the laptop is making a noise(like arching :shock: ) and will power off. And since the battery is so old, It won't last more then 30 minutes. I have no idea whats going on, except that maybe the female connector got bent or damaged inside and now the plug isn't properly connected. I don't know what I'm going to do.

This is why I like Desktops, FRUs
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

That and laptops are sooo much more expensive :)
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194