NetHack

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Snake

NetHack

Post by Snake »

I'm seriously addicted to this game :twisted: , and i'm seriously thinking of making a basic version of it (maybe i should learn asm... nethack doesnt need graphics! only speed! and seeing it this way make me think it may be more easy to do it in asm)

i'm a good basic programmer not the way Keven Ouelette is. :shock: .. (the reign of legend) but i had programmed a complete remake of resident evil (with basic graphics (use of the strings, make it fast!!) and i'm proud of it...)

anyway, you may think basic will not handle it?

A basic version of Nethack/Rogue would be great :)

Snake
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Nethack, or Rogue (sp?) would be indeed doable in basic. It would be great aswell. The hard part is the random generation of the dungeon's, but other than that there shouldn't be any problems.

Actually I already had that idea on the previous froum, as reaction of a nethack version for 86 (?) ... anyway... Good luck, if you gonna do it! :D
Snake

Post by Snake »

thanks! i'm gonna need it!

and about dungeon random generation... i admit, i'm not too good with algorythms (hey! i'm just a secondary 5 student after all!) but i should be able of doing it, if you know someone who was thinking of making one, or if you get source of a a program like that, or if someone understand "C and C++" and if he could chek a little the real "nethack" it could be great!

it's a sure thing, i can make it in basic... but for the "fog" in the dungeon, the map discovering algorythm (you know what i'm talking about right?) i have no idea of what to do or where to begin... lol

i should chek if there is a commented version of the nethack code somewhere (or rogue, cause its less complicated!)

thx!
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Best thing is to think good before you start... write things down you know, and how you think things work... just brainstorm... algorithmes are not written down in one stroke, but require long thinking session... it's more important than the programming... cause after you wrote everything down, it should only be a matter of writing the code

Also notice, that there is a possibility to ask algorithme questions in our programming help section... hence there are even some, about AI and other topics :)
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

Snake wrote:it's a sure thing, i can make it in basic... but for the "fog" in the dungeon, the map discovering algorythm (you know what i'm talking about right?) i have no idea of what to do or where to begin... lol
like "fog of war"? It should draw all the tiles in a circle around the character and the rest should be black tiles. It would be more complex if you wanted line of sight so they couldnt see beyond a wall or something.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
Snake

Post by Snake »

yup, thats what i'm talking about, fog of war... but, i prefer to think of a way to make a line of sight for the caracter, if you played nethack you know what i'm meaning.

someone know where i can find the source of ROGUE? (nethack is way too odd!!! and beside, it is soooo long and complicated! (too many optimisation))

anyway...
first: it's about a year since i'm coming on this site, and it's about time i register in the forum!
second: i will go ask some help about a map creating algorythm!
Snake
Location: Currently violently murdering terrorist in a deep jungle somewhere in Tselinoyarsk.

Post by Snake »

just hoping around :D
This is Snake, do you read me?