Which Web Host?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Which Web Host?

Post by Gambit »

I recently started considered setting up my own web page because in the future, I'll have a big project I'll need the community to test. Now, there are so many hosts out there, and I've been wondering, which is the best? Here is a nice comparison website:

http://www.free-webhosts.com

I don't know much about web design, but I am willing to learn. I also want to be able to mess with PHP because it looks flexible :) I probably won't set one up for a few months, but it'll be nice to know which host I want beforehand. Any ideas?

/edit: Which one do you use?
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

I use cyberconnectics: www.cybcon.com
They are a local group and very reliable. In the 7 years that I was stuck with dialup my internet never went down once, whereas my friend frank who was on comcast cable went a week without internet once. He says that they go down for at least an hour every month. :O
bananas... o.o
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Nothing can beat this!http://www.savefile.com/
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

I saw this the other day, not sure how good it is though.
http://www.dreamhost.com/
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

dreamhost rocks...I got a year of hosting for like 12$ after you enter a coupon code (thanks to Vincent for the link and tip). I think the promotion code is 777, and it takes like 110$ off the year of hosting. Hey, if you want to help me get a referral follow this link. Sign up for the prepaid year of Crazy Domain Insane, then enter the 777 code at the end. Like I said, I signed up under Vincent's name the same way, and got super cheap hosting for a year. The servers are always up and always fast.
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Here is my plan:

I will set up a temporary web page from a free web host and use that as my "home page" until I graduate from high school. The reason it's until I graduate from high school is because my parents will allow me more freedom then, and I will finally be able to get a more powerful host with many powerful features. At the moment, I have no method for paying for a host, let alone getting the money to do so. This "experimental" web page will let me mess around with these new things (e.g. PHP) so by the time I get a new, permanent web page, it'll look good from the get-go. I need this temporary one now so people can test this "big" project by just downloading it, instead of me sending hundreds of emails/day. For example, Jim e uses GeoCities for us to d/l his greyscale stuff, but I don't like ads. Something free, big, convenient, and maybe user-friendly will be nice.

Btw, my parents wont know I'll be doing this :wink:
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

Umm, do your parents CARE if you have a website???!! And if they do, then won't they be GLAD that you're applying yourself or whatever? Why don't you just ask them to get you web hosting for next birthday or something. And if all else fails, there's always grandparents...
bananas... o.o
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Yeah, I thought about it. It's kind of awkward for me to approach my parents for anything, let alone a webpage. If I ask, I have an uneasy feeling that it'll be a no... heck, I don't even know my grandparents (seeing that they're across the globe)! *sigh* To do or not to do, that is the question...

On a brighter note, I'll start coding this "big" project in April and hopefully will have half of it done by mid-summer :D I wont give any details as of yet :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

soinsg wrote:I saw this the other day, not sure how good it is though.
http://www.dreamhost.com/
extermly good considering you can get hosted a whole year for 7.95... calcwebzine is hosted at those guys :)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Awesome, i will have to remember that :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

tr1p1ea wrote:Awesome, i will have to remember that :).
Also remember to take 1-year contract and then enter 777 in coupon, other wise you will pay around 110$
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Gambit, what year are you?
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

My year? Do you mean my age? I'm 15 and a sophomore in HS, and also first in my class. My parents have always wanted me to stay "up there," so they've limited my social life ever since I was young... :cry: I guess they have good reason to do so... *sigh* But after high school ... :)
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah my parents are quite severe too, but I wouldn't never have got so far if they weren't . I would had never been able to finish hi-school right without their help
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)