Contra 1.1 Release and Contra 2 Discussion

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Bryan Thomas

Contra 1.1 Release and Contra 2 Discussion

Post by Bryan Thomas »

ooooops umm yeah that was me :cry:

Hello guys,

I just wanted to create a topic for MaxCoderz, where I could answer any questions you have about my Contra series, and offer your opinions to what I am currently doing with the game.

As many of you probably know, I plan on releasing an updated version of Contra 83, and the Level Editor by April 2nd, 2005. I figured I would give you guys a little bit of eye candy and post some screenshots of the Level Editor which is currently under construction. Enjoy :D

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

As you can see, Im trying to give as much freedom as possible to the creater, while still keeping the levels within the grid. So to answer your question yes, that maxcoderz frame could be played on :D . Hopefullly that gives you a little more of an introduction to the level editor. The edit menu in the screenshot pretty much displays the features of the level editor (except importing and level properties coming soon). Overall it is going very well and I am 100 % pleased with it.

As far as Contra 2 goes, I do not want to give away too much information on it, because I am not officially announcing it. However It is almost a 100% guarenteed now that I will make a sequel. And all the new features I plan on adding, are 100% Possible :D
Last edited by Bryan Thomas on Wed 02 Mar, 2005 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLS Co-President
United TI Staff

Creator of Contra 83!
Click Here to read all about the latest Contra 83 news!
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Ha ha sweet man! Keep us posted! :D You know how I feel, Bryan, about Contra and BASIC in general...so I wont go and bore everyone with those details! :D Cant wait for the sequel!
The Revolution is here...
DJ

Post by DJ »

hey man, your game looks really nice. Can it be played on a TI-83 (not a +)?
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

No, it uses the Archive

Good you're making Contra II! I'm looking forward to the release already :P
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, the effort that has gone into this game is amazing! Have you ever considered an ASM Cobra?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Madslillz was making one in grayscale (in ASM), didn't he?
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Kevin wrote:Madslillz was making one in grayscale (in ASM), didn't he?
No that was Cobra...

@Bryan: Looks good! I like the maxcoderz level :twisted:
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

Yeah but tr1p1ea said "Have you ever considered an ASM Cobra?"

Anyway, look really nice. I am wondering if it's playable on the SE? It runs at about 1.5-2 fps on a reg 83 but if it run twice faster on the SE it might be really challenging. I hope to try the level editor as soon as I can and post animated screenies as soon as you can. :wink:
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

i think tr1p had a brain fart and said Cobra when he meant Contra

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

Koolmansam: I've had alot of brain farts, but i've also had em in other places *evil grin*

Bryan: The level editor and the splash screen ROCK! Good work! Keep it up mate! We need to talk again sometime (*hint* aim: Unknown One 1976 *hint*) :lol:
Bryan Thomas

Post by Bryan Thomas »

I am wondering if it's playable on the SE? It runs at about 1.5-2 fps on a reg 83 but if it run twice faster on the SE it might be really challenging. I hope to try the level editor as soon as I can and post animated screenies as soon as you can. Wink
It is weird that you brought this up Kevin because I actually just got done thinking about making an SE version. The game is definetely more challenging to play on the SE b/c the gravity and momentum works so fast that it is like impossible to jump the full lengthi (unless your fingers are reeeeaaaallllyyyyy trigger happy :D ). I do plan on releasing a special version of Contra made just for the SE. Whether or not I will add a big feature, or overclock it, is undecided. However movable Enemies would be fun :D
Wow, the effort that has gone into this game is amazing! Have you ever considered an ASM Cobra?
Ill just say you said Contra :D . I have considered it, the game really has some potential as far as how it could work, however I do not plan on one anytime soon because I want to test my BASIC skills some more with Contra 2, and add some reeaaaall advanced features. However if someone proposed it. I would consider an ASM Contra, I just wouldnt make it :D

I also just got an awesome idea!!!
What do you guys think of a Contra v1.1 Level Editor Contest. Where anyone can submit a fuill nine frame level and compete for the most attractive and creative level. I think it would be an awesome idea because it would cause alot of levels to be made for the game, and would promote the level editor. The reward could be that the level is featured in Contra 2!!!!!
What you guys think about that?
:D
OLS Co-President
United TI Staff

Creator of Contra 83!
Click Here to read all about the latest Contra 83 news!
solitaire710

Level Editor Contest

Post by solitaire710 »

That would be cool to have a level editor contest........ :D

An article will show up on CalcWebZine about this soon....... :wink:
(I think unknown was on today over at CalcWebZine so I want to be sure he gets a chance to write this one up :wink: )
Last edited by solitaire710 on Tue 01 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

well it sounds like a good idea, but it probally wont be a maxcoderz contest....offically and i would do it any way :P , gj
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

i don't think bryan intended to make a maxcoderz contest, kalan.

@bryan: It could be interesting indeed. though the problem is that it takes a huge amount of time to make a good level... designing levels take almost as much time as programming the game itself (at least... what I experienced)... I made several level editor's for games I made (Crates3D, Slippy) As you can read in my readme of slippy:
Only thing you need to implement is a decent menu at the start, a 'reset level', a 'save' and 'continue' option and levels. The last one sounds easy, but believe me, it's the hardest part.
Sad, but true... nobody ever finished it :( ...

I don't won't to fright you, but it could be that not to much levels will be created... I would create one for sure, but I don't own a TI-83+ (only a 83)... sorry :oops:
An article will show up on CalcWebZine about this soon.....
Seems like someone makes good uses of his publisher rights ;)
solitaire710

Unknown

Post by solitaire710 »

Seems like someone makes good uses of his publisher rights :wink:
:wink:
Last edited by solitaire710 on Tue 01 Mar, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.