solidFRAME discussion

solidFRAME - a 3D engine for the TI-83+ (SE Recommended)

Moderator: tr1p1ea

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

solidFRAME discussion

Post by tr1p1ea »

double+necro post alert but i thought id share that i came up with an idea for a filled polygon (well triangle) routine yesterday. I have incorporated it into this side project so that it now supports 'filled vectors' (only people who've been around a while will get that reference :P).

I have no idea if this will lead to anything but just in case anyone is interested.

EDIT - Implemented very crude back-face culling and depth sorting:

The 2 cubes intersect at points and at least it appears to choose the right polygon to draw:

EDIT2 - Also properly working camera and combined rotations:

EDIT3 - If anyone wants to try you can download this crude cube demo here: http://www.tr1p1ea.net/files/downloads/ ... 092012.8xp
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
JamesV

Re: [Staff][Dev] 3D WireFrame Program

Post by JamesV »

This is really cool tr1p! Nice work :)
"Warning... Destruction imminent"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I rewrote the polygon (triangle) routine and its a bit faster now!

Here is a crazy cube screenie (15MHz):

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

This project is looking really interesting, tr1p1ea (and the performance is very good!) Nice to see it reappear. :)
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

I'm very impressed with how quickly it renders. Think there's any chance of it being greyscale?
Shaun
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Thanks guys! Im still working on speeding up a few routines which should hopefully improve the speed a little more.

As far as grayscale goes im thinking 3lvl would be possible enough. I think it might suffer too much if it was to use interrupt driven grayscale however. For a cube though it should be possible :).

EDIT - I rewrote a fair amount of code so that objects can now exist and be transformed within a 16-bit world. The good news is that the performance hit is around 2-3fps and i havent attempted to optimise yet:

Small test, zooming in from afar:

EDIT 2 - I have recreated the low detail (most are 3 polygons!) star wars models i had earlier (well most of them). Here you can see: xwing, awing, ywing, rebel transport, rebel frigate, tie fighter, ti interceptor, imperial transport, star destroyer:

EDIT 3 - I have implemented some basic level-of-detail which will drop polygons from a model (and turn off backface culling in some circumstances) when an object is a certain distance. The amount of polygons to reduce each hurdle (there are 2 hurdles) is defined on a per model basis. The hurdles are set lower than normal for testing but the performance increase can be quite significant:

EDIT 4 - So many edits! It seems that no-one is replying :(. At any rate i am still working on this project. I made contact with qarnos and he was able to provide me with a GREAT deal of information on knowledge on how to correctly combine rotations as well as helping me with some other problems and as such i have correctly (i think) implemented my camera controls as well as proper movement in 16-bit 3D space. Here is a screenie of 9 cubes (108 triangles) running @ ~20fps with level-of-detail running:

EDIT 5 - I have made a utility to convert 3D models in Wavefront OBJ format to data useable by this engine (including which pattern each triangle should be). It requires a couple of things to be set up in Blender (The modeller i tested with) but it makes life a LOT easier :). Here is a rough sphere test (80 polygons). Note that i have a lot of optimising to do with this engine so 80 polygons is a bit of a hit!:

EDIT 6 - It's a me, Mario!

EDIT 7 - Dark Link!

EDIT 8 - For those interested, I have found an issue with the engine and rectifying it should give me a performance increase ... stay tuned!

EDIT 8 (cont) - I gained a few fps doing some restructuring. I have also turned on depth sorting which is a bit of a performance hit. Still the overall result is still faster than the previous screenies:

merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

tr1p1ea wrote:EDIT 4 - So many edits! It seems that no-one is replying :(. At any rate i am still working on this project. I made contact with qarnos and he was able to provide me with a GREAT deal of information on knowledge on how to correctly combine rotations as well as helping me with some other problems and as such i have correctly (i think) implemented my camera controls as well as proper movement in 16-bit 3D space. Here is a screenie of 9 cubes (108 triangles) running @ ~20fps with level-of-detail running:

This seems like it would make for a neat game, possible. Like, one of those 3D avoid-the-blocks type games, but maybe with more degrees of freedom to move around. It seems like with your other screenshots you've just got one model at a time--was this one a single model, or does your engine allow for multiple models on the screen?
Shaun
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

tr1p1ea wrote:EDIT 4 - So many edits! It seems that no-one is replying :(. At any rate i am still working on this project.
I'm not sure the forum marks posts as unread after edits - I was unaware you had updated this post with the latest edits until merthsoft's post!

Maybe this thread could be moved/linked to the new solidFRAME forum?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: solidFRAME discussion

Post by tr1p1ea »

Merthsoft: That screenie is indeed rendering multiple 'objects' in a 16-bit 3D world. The other screenies are still in the same 16-bit world but with only 1 object. So yeah that cube demo can have up to 255 different objects floating around technically. I was thinking of making a basic cube shooting demo or something ...

benryves: Yeah it doesnt flag post edits but its all good . And when i get home tonight i think ill make good on your suggestion to move this thread to the other subforum .

Here is a screenie of 9 x-wings in 'space' just floating about:

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Holy cow that looks really cool :shock:
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Thanks :). Im working on some pretty tricky 3D movement and tracking routines which will hopefully enable me to get more out of this space-sim demo.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

That's a pretty sweet looking demo with the X-wings. :mrgreen:
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Thanks! :).

Ive been trying to get some 3D tracking routines working but they are proving a bit difficult. Once they are done i should be able to start on some basic AI for the ships.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

That would be pretty awesome! :D
Projects:
Projects:TBA-Soonish. :)
Updated 5/3/12
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

This is a small test with 1 ship moving and docking with another. It still needs lots of work however.