Dead Calculator

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Dead Calculator

Post by CompWiz »

Well, my 84+ SE stopped working. I've tried the normal tricks to revive it, but nothing seems to work. I've tried:

changing the contrast
holding DEL while pulling a battery out and reinserting it
removing all the batteries(including the backup one)

it's not completely dead. For example, when I held DEL and popped the battery out and put it back in, the screen flashed the Install OS screen, then went blank. Also, the screen seems to flash on for a second when I push the power button, but you have to wait a while before it will flash again. And yes, the batteries are fully charged, and tested in another calc.

Since I pulled out all the batteries and waited a little while, it won't show the install OS screen again(when doing the DEL thing). It darkens for a second when you push the on button(like the normal slightly darker 'on' state, not solid black or anything), but goes back to the blank off state right after that.

do you have any ideas what's wrong with it, or what I can do to fix it?

thanks

[shameless plug]oh, also for all the new members, if you didn't get the MaxCoderz 5yr-Trophy, which allows you to post in a special forum, and gets you a special calculator program if you own one, I'm still selling them. They've been sold out of the official store for a very long time now, so, take this opportunity to get your own MC 5yr-Trophy today![/shameless plug]
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

This may sounds stupid, but have you also tried new batteries?
Cause when my batteries were very empty once (it was running a program so it couldn't report being nearly empty) it messed up enormously. Random screens of garbage, flashing on and quickly off when pressing [ON] and things like that.

Also, welcome back :)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

hey! haven't seen you in awhile. how're ya doing?
Image Image Image
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Yay for loose internal connections killing the calc... Not fun stuff.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

have you tried plugging it into a PC and seeing what happens?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

King Harold wrote:This may sounds stupid, but have you also tried new batteries?
yeah, I've recharged and tested the batteries. I guess the backup battery could be dead, but the AAA's are good.
tr1p1ea wrote:have you tried plugging it into a PC and seeing what happens?
well, I don't think that that would work, as the calculator seems to be not turning on. But, it certainly is worth a shot.

thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)
brandonw

Post by brandonw »

CompWiz wrote:
tr1p1ea wrote:have you tried plugging it into a PC and seeing what happens?
well, I don't think that that would work, as the calculator seems to be not turning on. But, it certainly is worth a shot.
The LCD can be completely dead, but the OS may be booting fine and will respond to silent linking requests.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

brandonw wrote: The LCD can be completely dead, but the OS may be booting fine and will respond to silent linking requests.
well, as far as I can tell, the LCD is not dead.

I tried hooking it up to the computer with the USB cable, but the computer didn't register it.

This time, when I put the batteries in and pressed the ON button(the batteries had been out for about a week), the screen seemed to have a random arrangement of pixels turned on. Then it went off again after about maybe half a second. Pushing the ON button again had no effect.