Smash Bros Brawl

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Yeah, you really have to appreciate the clever marketing over the post 6 months. I mean, don't tell fans outright that Sonic will be included, it would ruin the suspense! Instead, drop careful hints that create massive debate. Money just can't buy that kind of buzz! The Smashboards "Sonic" thread was up to 570 pages by the time the word came. Youtube is flooded with both Sonic and Anti-Sonic theories.

I really think we're witnessing history in the making. Not since maybe Marvel vs. Capcom have I seen this many gaming franchises and storylines come together into one game. It kind of reminds of the way all the rival animation studios got together to license their characters into Who Framed Roger Rabbit--the blockbuster. Nintendo, Konami, Sony, and Sega really rolled the dice on this one and I hope they're all rewarded for it.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

i know there have been no "official announcements" but what is the most official source of information? the games website. which currently says TBD. the other date was set 2 months ago, alot can change in 2 months. i agree that i want to not believe this and that nothing concrete has come yet. but i wana hear it from straight from Sakarai not Reggie and not the wiire.
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

:o Wha?, well ill be a sonuva bitch they actually put sonic in. Looks like fox will have some serious competition in the SPEED department now. I wonder how sonic will play? hopefully he'll be fast and as smooth as butter :D . Now where's knuckles? Sonic needs a counterpart that can throw some haymakers :D .
*Edit*
Nintendo, Konami, Sony, and Sega really rolled the dice on this one and I hope they're all rewarded for it.
Now all we need is capcom for megaman, konami to add simon belmont and the contra guys, and licensing for the double dragon characters and it'll be ALL good!
*Edit 2:*Oooohhh also makes me wonder what kind of stages they will put in for sonic. God I can't wait for this game!
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Oh man! Sonic fans are causing a youtube riot! Over 800 uploads of the Sonic announcement video are up. And those are just the ones more than a few hour old! :shock:

It looks like they are definitely changing the release. Some are saying January, most February 10th. No doubt we'll be hearing a number of rumors flying about this winter. But then, my generation's been waiting 16 years for this game ever since the console wars started with Sonic 1. I can wait a couple extra months.

CHARACTER PREDICTIONS:
- All veterans------------------------(excluding Pichu, Roy, Marth and possibly Ness with a slim chance. Paper Mario may replace Dr. Mario)
- Riachu-------------------------------(regardless of Pichu's appearance)
- Krystal or Wolf O'Donnell--------(I'll say 70%-30%)
- Mega Man---------------------------(may be unannounced and unlockable)
- Knuckles and Tails-----------------(characters or assist tropies. I say 40%-60%)
- Bomber Man-------------------------(depends on how much Konami wants for licensing)
- Ridley----------------------------------(character or trophy. I say 20%-80%)
- Master Chief--------------------------(that's right, I'm sayin it!!)

ASSIST TROPHIES/GAME TRIBUTE PREDICTIONS:
- Super Punchout, Tetris Blocks and Pikmen for Nintendo
- Virtua Fighter, Frogger, Eggman, and Alex Kidd for Sega
- A Virtual Boy (make it turn all the graphics red! :D)
Projects:

jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

Feb 10th, i told you all so.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

:? Hey, no one's arguing with you.

Well it looks like they're doing some public screening now at the 4-day E for All event in LA. I'll bet they're really balancing the heck out of this game to make sure all the characters are well-matched. This event is open to anyone who registers online before today's deadline, so hopefully we'll be seeing a lot of clips pop up on youtube.

I really want to see how this game plays now with the Wii remote. :excited:
Projects:

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Yeah, good Job Jimmothy.

Well, It does look like we'll be waiting a while longer, but if the wait's worth it, I'm all for it... as anything that goes the way of Lair is a disaster. But I picked up on an interesting quote:
Dojo delay announcement wrote:The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable.
:puzzled: I bet he was originally intended to be an assist trophy, which is why I was told he wasn't going to be a character in the game...

@Digitan: I think Nintendo has skirted the line of allowing "not fully Nintendo characters" almost too closely, and doesn't wish to cross it any further. I would predict that there won't be any more "half/non-Nintendo characters", as it might just become stupid in the eyes of the public. It's like a little kid with candy, you give him a little and he'll enjoy it, however if you give it at his every whim, he no longer appreciates it. More sonic characters might be the only exception, but I doubt it.

That being said, I do think Nintendo has a few more tricks and surprises up its sleeve, and one in particular that will be breath-taking closer to the release, as I don't think they will allow the talk about Brawl finish until long after it's in stores.
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

This is interesting... Type in "Nintendo forums" in Google and then click on Super Smash Bros. in blue underneath the first result. this is what you get...

Nintendo forums closing down?!?! :x :insane: :crazy: :sick:
As we prepare for this huge site update, Nintendo must unfortunately close the Nintendo NSider Forums message boards indefinitely beginning Sept. 17, 2007.
They sure are good at stacking announcements...
Art_of_camelot

Post by Art_of_camelot »

CHARACTER PREDICTIONS:
- All veterans------------------------(excluding Pichu, Roy, Marth and possibly Ness with a slim chance. Paper Mario may replace Dr. Mario)
- Riachu-------------------------------(regardless of Pichu's appearance)
- Krystal or Wolf O'Donnell--------(I'll say 70%-30%)
- Mega Man---------------------------(may be unannounced and unlockable)
- Knuckles and Tails-----------------(characters or assist tropies. I say 40%-60%)
- Bomber Man-------------------------(depends on how much Konami wants for licensing)
- Ridley----------------------------------(character or trophy. I say 20%-80%)
- Master Chief--------------------------(that's right, I'm sayin it!!)
What about Rosie O'Donald?, She'd be a beast and a half! ^_~ . And yea, so far I've heard it's been pushed back to February also...... The wait is gonna kill me! Unless they add some more great characters in :P
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

IGN Team playing SSBB

SSBB Demo
including Link and Samus final smash

* do note these are stripped versions.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Oh man, those videos are awesome! It looks like they really made a lot of improvements to the game mechanics now. For one, the camera doesn't get way too close like before. That always bugged me!

It look like Tails might be a playable character as well! Watch the "Fall Conference 2007" movie. Cue it to slightly past halfway and pause at the scene with DK shooting out of the barrels...

...That's my tails theory. It's kind of hard to tell if him for certain or a different kind of flying Fox we know. But it seems to have too much yellow for Fox.
Projects:

DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

post removed
Last edited by DJ_O on Tue 15 Jan, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

So much for the Tails theory. It looks like it was just a green koopa in that shot. It's kind of hard to tell if they're doing motion blur or maybe it's a ghost frame in the video. Either way, it really makes it tough to ID these unidentified flying characters.

I don't see why so many people are griping about the February 10th release date. Don't they know how rushed games usually turn out?
Projects:

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

DigiTan wrote: I don't see why so many people are griping about the February 10th release date. Don't they know how rushed games usually turn out?
I agree, I'd much rather have a delay than a rush, however, a release date is a 'promise' made to every hopeful fan that they will be able to purchase the game at a certain time.

It is kind of a letdown when that is broken through a delay. I think the problem is that too many games rush to give a release date, that they end up not being able to keep. Can you imagine what would have happened if Halo 3 had delayed? People would have been through the roof! This is Nintendo's big game, and because of it's delay it's just one thing that will be used against Nintendo's reputation. It's a "if Nintendo can't control its biggest game, how will it be able to control the smaller ones?" kind of scenario.
jimmothy

Post by jimmothy »

rushed? they've had like 3 times the amount of time to make this game than they had to make melee. no ones rushing, i dont even care that its out in febuary, i just want straight information. why couldnt they have told us sooner? i had already taken that weekend off from work. dont give a realease date if you have any doubts about meeting it.

also, if you look at the sonic video, at one part you can see what looks to me like knuckles but i think hes an assist because he disapeers. the blur is ridiculus so i really cant ss for it.