[TI ASM] z80 under Linux

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Then you use lsmod to see what the LiveCd gave you and make sure you put that stuff in. :) lspci doesn't hurt either. And if you don't know about something, compile it in. The worst it can do is make the kernel larger on disk and in memory, and add a bunch of compile time on.
ImageImage
koolmansam375
Extreme Poster

Post by koolmansam375 »

AndySoft wrote:Then you use lsmod to see what the LiveCd gave you and make sure you put that stuff in. :)
I put those in the "modules.conf" file.

Ill try using Gentoo after Ive had more experience with Linux and kernel compiling.

Pongwars shall live!

blog is down atm. :-(
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I always just build stuff into the kernel, unless I'm rarely going to use it (like loopback filesystems).
ImageImage
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

GuillaumeH wrote:Here is how I do :

Emulation
2 possibilities :
* WINE + vti, which was my only way until recently when tilem was released. It works well but I have never liked the fact that it is always on the top ofthe other windows.
* TilEm : it's directly for linux so it's lighter, it works well except for ti-82 emulation, that's why I keep vti.

Syntax coloring
Not essential, but I've made a file that enables syntax highlighting for z80 asm for Kwrite and Kate, it's here.
(See this screenshot).
Sometimes there are editors in which the "assembler" syntax coloring fits quite well (like scite).

Assembling
I use tpasm. To compile it, don't forget the trick from Tijl coosemans/Kalimero. You will also need bin8x. See how I use both of them.

The syntax is a little different from TASM's, so you may want to use TASM with wine (it's not free software thought).

Sending programs to the calc
I've never been lucky with TILP so I use this command-line program called titranz, which only works for TI-83/TI-83+.
@gH: where is your website? I would like to read how you set up your dev environment in linux. Anyone else (coelurus, CoBB...) have any tips for assemblers, editors, etc?

oh, and sorry for bumping an ooold topic, just wanted to keep all the info together.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Well there is linux builds of SPASM and WABBIT. Plus there is Burntfuse's IDE. You can check those out they all should be pretty light.

http://www.revsoft.org/phpBB2/
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

tried the IDE, couldn't compile it. i'm trying out tpasm/bin8x/pico for now.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Alternatively, Brass + Mono appears to work for some people.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Brass+mono would be nice if I could figure out how to get mono to work. :( More reading for me I guess. I just wish gH's site was up, because I remember reading a whole setup he had. I tried google cache and the way back machine and neither have backups of the site.

//edit

ok tpasm users, I need your help. I managed to find some caches of gH's site, found how to make tpasm with bin_seg.c, found his 'zv' file and vion.inc. vion.inc was not formatted right, and I'm having a little trouble fixing it (carriage returns and spacing were messed up). The problem is in the MACRO section for the bcall / etc defines. When it looks like this...

Code: Select all

NOLIST 
 IFDEF TI83
bcall MACRO xxxx call xxxx
 ENDM
bcallz MACRO xxxx call,z xxxx 
 ENDM 
the output from tpasm says...

vion.inc:28            :error  : Ill formed macro parameters
vion.inc:30            :error  : Ill formed macro parameters
reading the tpasm manual, it says MACRO defines should look like this...

NOLIST 
 IFDEF TI83
bcall MACRO xxxx,call,xxxx
 ENDM
bcallz MACRO xxxx,call,z,xxxx 
 ENDM 
adding these commas gets rid of the errors, but then the bcalls don't work and the program crashes. Any ideas on how these should be defined? Anyone (CoBB, coelururs, etc) have a working vion.inc for tpasm?? Any help appreciated. :D
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

bump for update. :)
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Why did you mention my nick? :) I haven't touched z80 for years, and afaik, I used tasm + wine (horrors galore!) just because fixing up a native environment wouldn't be much faster anyway.

And why is it that gh's site is down? Is tpasm a viable choice? Jim mentioned spasm which seems like a nice, actively developed assembler, you could have a look at that. Regarding your question, I got no answer :P
Kalimero

Post by Kalimero »

by adding the commas you have now defined a bcall macro with 3 arguments and an empty body. You need something like this:

bcall macro xxxx
 call xxxx
 endm
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

blueskies> Sorry, my website is down along with all the sites hosted by Paxl, I'll try to find a mirror.

edit: i've put an older version of my page here http://guillaume.h.ifrance.com/ti83/
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

I have added a Programming under Linux page on WikiTi, feel free to add useful information to it.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

@GuillaumeH: Thank you so much, I got your include file and things are running smoothly now.

@coelurus: sorry for calling you out, I just assumed that maybe your past knowledge of having programmed z80 under linux could help me out. :) Also I thought about using TASM+wine / Brass+mono, but couldn't get mono to work, and figured I'd try something that's at least native.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

blueskies wrote:tried the IDE, couldn't compile it. i'm trying out tpasm/bin8x/pico for now.
You could ask him what went wrong, its hard for developers to continue development without a proper response.

Either way you don't need to use the ide to compile.