Gamespot give Zelda:TP am 8.8

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Gamespot give Zelda:TP am 8.8

Post by tr1p1ea »

This Gamepsot review has caused quite a bit of outrage.

http://au.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch ... pid=928519

Im a bit suprised since its considerably lower than every other gaming site:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928519.asp

He also gave GoW a 9.6.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

boohoo
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

Arcane WIzard wrote:boohoo
If you don't care about a topic, don't post in it.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

It's impossible to make an impartial review, isn't it? What do you guys feel about both games?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well like someone said, reviews are nothing more than previews with personal opinions inserted.

I think what lots of people find strange is that jeff the reviewer is noted for being a bit anti-Nintendo as of late. Therefore giving him Nintendo's biggest launch game to review is a little puzzling.

Personally i am yet to play either game, though i would love to. I will be picking up Zelda when the Wii launches here in 2 weeks.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Zelda is an awe-inspiring conglomeration of win and god. (I played a friend's, mine remains unopened until break starts in 3 days)

Gears of War also looks really good. Unfortunately, it doesn't have multiplayer on the Wii, so we got Red Steel instead.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I consider 8.8 a pretty high score, and i'm a zelda fanboy myself. I've read the article, they gave their opinions on why it's not that super great (not much new, wii controller could've been used better). In my opinion, scores like 97% (nearly perfect!) are unrealistic for any game, anything above 95 is only for the truely great like Ocarina of Time.
I wouldn't even give morrowind 97%, and you know how much of a morrowind fanboy i am.
Also, it's maybe a bit early to judge a game that quick. It's easy to get swept away by stunning new stuff, but you gotta get a bit deeper into it to know what its really like. It's like how Oblivion was really great on the surface, but not as great after 50 hours of gameplay.

I haven't played the game yet (it's not out in Europe), it probably is really great.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It's a fact that gamespot are pretty much anti-nintendo
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Um, maybe I'm missing something here. What's wrong with 8.8? That's a very high score, if it's out of 10. The review seems pretty complimentary.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It's wrong because it weights the "downs" to much considering what the game is. It also is very unfair, seeing they gave 9.3 to WindWaker, which is far worse game. Also notice that the highly critical EDGE gave the game a 9.0, which should state that everything lower than that is pure fanboy-talk.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I wouldn't say it weights them too much. 8.8 is a very high score out of 10. I just really can't see how anyone could complain about an 8.8 rating.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

That's like asking "I can't see how anyone could complain about a 5.0 rating". :S Of course 8.8 is a good rating... but not for Zelda. Afaik no (true) Zelda scored that low, also note that other games, like GoW, score an undeserved 9.6 ... you have to be consequent when giving ratings...
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Ah, but here is the flaw in your argument -
kv83 wrote:Of course 8.8 is a good rating... but not for Zelda.
Why should a Zelda game get special dispensation? Should the reviewer see that it's a Zelda game and automatically add 5 points?
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

That's not what a said, what I meant to say is that every Zelda game scored higher (even on gamespot) and, since all other reviewers state that this is maybe the best zelda ever, it's very unlikely that this one should score lower.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Very unlikely, but entirely possible. Not everyone sees everything in the same way, and maybe they genuinely see this as the least inspiring Zelda game ever? :)

That's the benefit of reading a mixed collection of reviews.

I also fail to see what you have against GoW, and why you are comparing a game released when people have become comfortable with the technology with a launch title. As with any system, the first set of games are typically inferior to ones released later on. What makes GoW so rubbish in your eyes that the Zelda game should be above it?