[TI ASM] Bug in VPutMap?

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Maelstrom

[TI ASM] Bug in VPutMap?

Post by Maelstrom »

When I output a null character with VPutMap, sometimes it displays nothing (like you would expect), but sometimes it displays a garbage character.

Hex codes
Characters

Look at the 00s on the bottom of the first picture. Some of those on the right appear as garbage.

Is this a known bug in VPutMap?
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Bug? Thats not a bug thats a feature.

Its probably displaying some leftovers in the ram. If Im right Ti is using there lame HtimesL rountine to calc the offset of the font character. So rather than get the very first charater its getting beyond the last character. If thats in the ram anything could end up getting displayed.

Ofcourse Im guessing. Either way just catch 0 and anything beyond $EC, as there shouldn't be any font characters there(or atleast none that we were told about).
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Hmm, usually I hear 'feature' used as a euphemism for 'bug'... Then again, that was probably what you meant.

Yes, the workaround is very easy. We shouldn't need one, but at least it's easy.
Saibot84

Post by Saibot84 »

I wonder if anything worthwhile could be displayed using this "feature".
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Ofcourse you can, you would know what the memory around the characters looks like.
<completely insane thought> you could even make your own characters that way! but you would probebly crash your calc if you didn't restore it to that exact same state as you found that piece of memory in, so save a copy of it somewhere, which would mean its completely useless to do. </insane thought>