Arena Football

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Would you like to see an Arena Football game for the TI-83 Plus?

Yes
83%
No
17%
Different type of football game
No votes

Total votes: 12

nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Okay, thanks kv83. It is beginning to evolve from an idea/test program to a full fledged project.
IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

(Votes yes)

I'm looking forward to seeing the implementation on this one. I haven't seen a major Z80 sports title since Sam Heald's MBL Baseball. I'll be in the 50 yard line seats watching for this one.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Haha, okay. I have season tickets waiting for you. Let's hope it works out as I have planned. I'll probably start posting links to downloads once the project gets up and running. Since tomorrow is my last day of football :(, I'm sure there will be many updates in the upcoming weeks.

Right now, I'm working on the basic. I have the title screen, menu screen, sprites, and field scrolling implemented. Much thought is left to come.

P.S. kv83, you may move this post to the Announce Your Project section.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I moved it for you :).

Football season is over here too, but im glad. Playing bball now, im out of practice :S.

As far as having the 'basics' down, thats good, and its usually the funnest part of startng a project :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Yep, building the skeleton of your program and then seeing the final program in action. Those are always fun. It's the grueling stuff in between that isn't the greatest.

Thanks for the move.
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Does anyone know of a site where I could find a sample game engine?

I'm thinking about porting a game engine or at least working off of one to create my game. I've looked but haven't had any luck.

If not, I'll have to do some more thinking. :) It will be one complicated engine.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I checked every ticalc file with the word "football" innit and didn't see anything nearly this high-end. The ballfield is going to have an arcade look to it, so you might dig up some arcade source.

One tutorial you could add to your playbook is event handling by John Morris. 'Wouldn't recommend copying his method exactly (you don't even need interrupts, really), it just gives a little perspective how arcades tick.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Thanks. I'm just in the process of gathering all the information I will need. I don't want to get into the game engine without a plan.

So I'm in the process of looking for game engines (using any programming language, *wishes he could get the old Techmo Bowl code*) or any other sources.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

heh
Techmo Bowl code
I loved techmo bowl football. I wish you the best of luck. The sprites look great and the field looks awesome. I dont know if you stated this or not, but you might not be able to get a full lineup on the field. You can always do like the old madden did and have 6 players on the field. :wink:

What are you looking for in an engine? A simple verticle scroller for starts. Neural network AI sounds like it would be perfect.

sounds like a great project. And since I would love to see another sports game on the calc, especially a good football game, I wish you the best of luck.

we are a community that is always willing to help, so dont hesitate to ask!
The Revolution is here...
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

Well, I'm basing my game on the Arena Football League. They have a 66 yard field (compared to regular football's 100 yard field) and only 8 players on each side of the ball (compared to regular football's 11 players).

So, right there the game becomes easier to deal with. Less players and less of a field. Eliminates a lot of mind teasing programming.

My game will be a vertical scroller. I already have the code finished for that portion of the engine. It's the play-calling and actual game engine that I am thinking about right now. It'll be tough. But, I think that is why most of us program. Its a challenge. A way to test yourself.

In my case, I see that no one has a real football game for calculators and I want to see if I can pull it off.

Updates
Today, I gathered some WAV clips such as a whistle and an announcer saying "Touchdown". I plan to add these as post-play sounds. I figure, if I can, why not?
cartj

Post by cartj »

looks good, im not a fan of football but any games are appreciated
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Well, I'm basing my game on the Arena Football League. They have a 66 yard field (compared to regular football's 100 yard field) and only 8 players on each side of the ball (compared to regular football's 11 players).
-ah I see. Well that works perfect than I guess.

For the plays, you could just have a selection screen similar to all the football games you play on any console or handheld. Then the user has a cursor that can move to select the play. You store the selected play, then when you call the routine it loads up the selected play which has the routines for the AI receivers of your team and offensive line. I'm sure that is along the lines of what you are thinking. Putting it all together like you said, is going to be the fun part. (If you wanna see what I mean I'll work something out visually to show)

I wouldnt deal with penalties at least not at first.

As for looking for features to add because they are at your ready (sound effects) why not make it a grayscale game as well. Of course get the main engine done and you can always patch it up to become a grayscale game. Check out my signature if you have anymore questions when the time comes. RevSoft has the best people to ask for help and some of the most gifted guys around! ;) *Shameless plug, yes I know!
The Revolution is here...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

As for looking for features to add because they are at your ready (sound effects) why not make it a grayscale game as well. Of course get the main engine done and you can always patch it up to become a grayscale game. Check out my signature if you have anymore questions when the time comes. RevSoft has the best people to ask for help and some of the most gifted guys around!
Ah yes, RevSoft... releaser of many awesome grayscale games... oh, wait ;)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kv83 wrote:Ah yes, RevSoft... releaser of many awesome grayscale games... oh, wait ;)
:lol: :lol: nice. yeah, I guess we are the only major programming group to have released assembly greyscale games. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
nepmarauder

Post by nepmarauder »

I understand you CompWiz. That type of play-calling is what I had in mind. The lineman, recievers, and running back will all be controlled by the computer, until one of them touches the ball. Until then, the quarterback is your only controlled player.

I'm not going to deal with penalties, for now. That is a little sticky. I'll get the engine running before I do that.

Greyscale. That would be awesome. Not sure if there will be enough room for that though. I think this is going to be a significantly large program. But, if I get the engine running smoothly, greyscale would be a great addition. I can only imagine how awesome that would look. Four-scale gray field, endzones, and players. :twisted: