Nintendo Wii - $250

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

repackaging old ideas and promoting them as new and revolutionary.
..is pretty retarded.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

benryves wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:
*wii rampages*
Message to all the fanbois who wouldn't believe me when I said the wiimote was retarded and inpractical: bite me.
I wouldn't say that it's "retarded" as such. It's quite a cool input device, but whether cool is the same as efficient or useful is yet to be seen.
My gripe with Nintendo is much the same as my gripe with iPod shuffle - repackaging old ideas and promoting them as new and revolutionary. The only thing that is "revolutionary" is enforcing the use of a quirky controller; Nintendo was using motion-sensing input devices back in 1989.
Now you're playing with power!
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Obviously a piece of equipment can't suffer from mental retardation, so...

re·tard·ed Pronunciation (r-tärdd)
adj.
1. Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation.
2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.

Quite applicable in the context of a "new' technology that is actually quite belated and set-back, or almost a step back even. For example, if someone is trying to market a new social networking website as the most original thing ever, I could say the idea is retarded. Though in this case, both definitions would probably apply as people actually still remember myspace so you'd have to have something wrong with your head to try that. Or add something actually creative and original into the mix, which wasn't implied by my description of the example scenario.

Like, woah, I'm right. Again.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

It seems to me that the same people who complain about Wii being 'nothing new' are the same people who praise other consoles for having 'better graphics/same games'. Like somehow the old formula of 'making console X amount more powerful than its predecessor' is full of ingenuity and uniqeness.

At least Nintendo are trying to shake it up, even with their controller that according to some has been out for years and years and that everyone has used it before and that its nothing new, not even in the slightest.

So to some people graphics = a game, which is fine, i love awesome graphics as much as the next guy. The thing is, the Wiimote is really fun to play with -- every single person ive let play my Wii has loved it.

If you disagree i cant help but feel that you have either not played the Wii at all, that you are not bored by the same old shooters like most of us have been for the last 5 years, or that you are just one of those people who like to be 'different' than everyone else, because god help you if you are caught in the 'mainstream'.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

I would love a Wii, but A) I have no money, and B) It has no zombie games yet :D.

Yes, zombie games. The main reason I am going to own an Xbox 360 first, then a Wii, then a PS3, is Dead Rising.

Unless, of course, it comes out on PC, then screw the Xbox 360 and hello Wii :D.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

tr1p1ea wrote:It seems to me that the same people who complain about Wii being 'nothing new' are the same people who praise other consoles for having 'better graphics/same games'. Like somehow the old formula of 'making console X amount more powerful than its predecessor' is full of ingenuity and uniqeness.
Not in this case. I could care less about console performance as anyone can build PCs with 10 times the graphics performance after googling for 10 minutes. Consoles are about the games and their gameplay.

The difference you are neglegting though, is that Nintendo is marketing the Wiimote as HOLY SHIT NEVER EXISTED BEFORE GET IT NOW PAY US MONEY while the marketing that is focusing on more powerfull technology is simply saying their technology is MORE powerfull, not HOLY SHIT NEVER EXISTED BEFORE MEGAHURTZ PAY MONEY.
At least Nintendo are trying to shake it up, even with their controller that according to some has been out for years and years and that everyone has used it before and that its nothing new, not even in the slightest.
The only difference is that the Wiimote is key to the whole wii experience, while in the past such controllers only had a tiny target area or market within the gaming industry or even within a single console's games. Like benryves said. Take away the Wiimote and the Wii entertainment system is nothing.
So to some people graphics = a game, which is fine, i love awesome graphics as much as the next guy. The thing is, the Wiimote is really fun to play with -- every single person ive let play my Wii has loved it.
And so where motion sensitive arcade guns. Except they didn't need annoying straps and actually have things like recoil and proper shape for their purpose, instead of being a multi-purpose stick-on-a-leash that isn't really well-suited for anything specific but getting bored after 5 minutes of twirling it around.
If you disagree i cant help but feel that you have either not played the Wii at all, that you are not bored by the same old shooters like most of us have been for the last 5 years, or that you are just one of those people who like to be 'different' than everyone else, because god help you if you are caught in the 'mainstream'.
Boring after 5 minutes. There's only 3 shooters in the past 5 years that interests me, and they're all completely different (2d low graphics run-n-shoot, tactical squad based, and counterstrike source). There is no majority of people on the world who like the Wii, in fact, the majority of normal people aren't particularly interested in any console. Console fanbois are the minority, don't kid yourself into a false sense of authority or superiority.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Arcane WIzard wrote:don't kid yourself into a false sense of authority or superiority.
I wonder who's got the false sense of superiority...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I got one _O_
The difference you are neglegting though, is that Nintendo is marketing the Wiimote as HOLY SHIT NEVER EXISTED BEFORE GET IT NOW PAY US MONEY while the marketing that is focusing on more powerfull technology is simply saying their technology is MORE powerfull, not HOLY SHIT NEVER EXISTED BEFORE MEGAHURTZ PAY MONEY.
Uhm. Sony anyone? ;)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Not in this case. I could care less about console performance as anyone can build PCs with 10 times the graphics performance after googling for 10 minutes. Consoles are about the games and their gameplay.
A bit of an exaggeration.
When did Nintendo say it was the best thing ever? They only ever said it was fun. I believe it was Sony who, after thinking up the addition of a tilt sensor all on their own, said it was the coolest thing ever.
The only difference is that the Wiimote is key to the whole wii experience, while in the past such controllers only had a tiny target area or market within the gaming industry or even within a single console's games. Like benryves said. Take away the Wiimote and the Wii entertainment system is nothing.
Take away any consoles key marketting point and its nothing. I dont get your point.
And so where motion sensitive arcade guns. Except they didn't need annoying straps and actually have things like recoil and proper shape for their purpose, instead of being a multi-purpose stick-on-a-leash that isn't really well-suited for anything specific but getting bored after 5 minutes of twirling it around.
Arcade controllers dont have straps? ... they are either ancoured to the machine or connected via a bit fat metallic cable. I also cant say ive ever played an arcade game thats controller featured the capabilities of the Wii's.
Boring after 5 minutes.
Sounds like you gave it a really good chance.
There is no majority of people on the world who like the Wii, in fact, the majority of normal people aren't particularly interested in any console. Console fanbois are the minority, don't kid yourself into a false sense of authority or superiority.
When did i hint to the contrary? I never said the 'majority of people in the entire world liked Wii'. All i know is that ever single person who's played Wii at my house has thought it was good fun.

I am well aware that hardcore gamers are a minority, also you have obviously never watched a Nintendo press conference as they have stated that repeatedly also. That is the whole point of Wii, to use better technology to simplify the way in which people interact with a game. It doesnt get much easier to people who are intimidated by button filled controllers to swing their arm to hit a ball.

Why some people are so viciously hostile towards Wii i will never understand.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

What the fuck? A debate? Quote wars? Ignore him damn it, he won't stop talking otherwise. You could be doing something more interesting than debating with opinions.

Personally though I want to see how the 360 does by the end of the 2nd quarter. It's so far seems to be the dev'rs and bloggers pick for best all around system. Super sweet XNA, the best graphical abilities of this generation, decent processing power, great online support, mid ranged in price, and its the easiest to dev for of all 3 systems. All this suggest it could do the best. Then again there are much more Nintendo and sony fanboys.

I think Twilight princess on the GCN may be good enough for me. Everyone says the wiimote feels tacked on.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

I really don't fanboy to any console, I just fanboy to the games that are excellent. If it happens to be for only a certain console, then I find a way to buy the console so that I can play the crap out of it. For example, I am a Halo fanboy, and Halo is only available on PC or Xbox (Halo 2 only on Xbox, but that one let me down just a tiny bit as not being as fun online due to mostly noobs (some guy teamkilled me so he could have the warthog and its "pimpin wheels" :P.) and no server communities like Halo PC.) so the first chance I got, I bought an Xbox. Then I got a gamecube for Resident Evil 4. However, Playstation 2 is just kind of cold in my heart, as it doesn't offer too good of an experience as the other two did, so I mostly avoid sony products due to the fact that they are manufactured for money, not fun (I mean, everything is manufactured for money, but sony had no bi-purpose to make it fun enough for the client side).

Mostly, as soon as Halo 3 comes out, I am going to make dang sure I have an Xbox 360 to play it, but otherwise I just play for the experience, not the console.

And, Arcane Wizard, if you don't like the Wii, just say you don't and leave it alone, don't get all defensive about it. All it does is show that you are a super fanboi to some other console/PC.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

No it doesn't. It shows how he can't handle the fact that there are people who disagree with him.

Arcane, why do you visit this forum in the first place? All you do is tell people how wrong you think they are, and how much better you think you understand everything. Where's the fun in that?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Timendus wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:don't kid yourself into a false sense of authority or superiority.
I wonder who's got the false sense of superiority...
You, apparently.

A bit of an exaggeration.
ORLY

When did Nintendo say it was the best thing ever? They only ever said it was fun. I believe it was Sony who, after thinking up the addition of a tilt sensor all on their own, said it was the coolest thing ever.
Not Nintendo, sorry, I ment fanbois. Sony too.

Take away any consoles key marketting point and its nothing. I dont get your point.
You mean console design has been in the gutter for the past 20 years? That was my point.

Arcade controllers dont have straps? ... they are either ancoured to the machine or connected via a bit fat metallic cable. I also cant say ive ever played an arcade game thats controller featured the capabilities of the Wii's.
Which a) aren't straps and b) is better than a strap and a cable. In most cases in the arcade they're part of large machines where the connection actually serves a gameplay purpose. If you actually owned an arcade gun for example you wouldn't have it tied down either. Your lack of experience with controllers is not a valid ground for the Wii's design being ground-breaking.

Sounds like you gave it a really good chance.
Actually, it was boring from the start, but I tried to endure it for 5 minutes. I'm sorry that I don't endure boring htings longer just so I can get more credit for my opinion from some nerds on the interweb who don't understand the concept of creative experience.

When did i hint to the contrary?
When you typed that "oh noes you're just trying to be non-conformist" crap.

Why some people are so viciously hostile towards Wii i will never understand.
Why some people assume every disagreement is viciously hostile I do understand. People are stupid.
What the fuck? A debate? Quote wars? Ignore him damn it, he won't stop talking otherwise. You could be doing something more interesting than debating with opinions.
lololol you're not ignoring me lololol
And, Arcane Wizard, if you don't like the Wii, just say you don't and leave it alone, don't get all defensive about it. All it does is show that you are a super fanboi to some other console/PC.
And apparently it also shows that you can't read as I've said time and time again that all consoles and PCs suck equally, I could care less what you imagine my opinion is, but I've also stated that business wise Nintendo's marketing is superior to the others.
No it doesn't. It shows how he can't handle the fact that there are people who disagree with him.
: )
Arcane, why do you visit this forum in the first place? All you do is tell people how wrong you think they are, and how much better you think you understand everything. Where's the fun in that?
It has to be fun? I feel neutral about it.

But didn't I agree with benryves on a point just a few posts ago? And on various points earlier when the subject was about Nintendo's marketing?

Besides, it's usefull to have something to do every now and then that isn't non-stop coding but still sounds like I'm working.

Also, for observation purposes.

And I'm doing people a favor by giving them the ability to dismiss my opinion because I'm annoying instead of actually trying to understand it.
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

If it matters... I LOVE MY WII!

I frequently hit on girls with the remark... Wanna come back to my place, and play with my... wii?
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

Is there an ignore user button on this forum? It's not that I don't like you or anything AW, I just always get stuck reading through your long ass quote rebuttal posts that seem like they might have something worthwhile to say, but in the end are just a waste of time.