School

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

School

Post by chickendude »

Starting in 7th grade (early 2001) I began development on my very first real game ever. I'd made a bunch of small programs here and there, but never a complete, fully-functional game. It started off as an experiment to help me learn BASIC, and yes, it was a menubased game. However, I got so engrossed in it and put so much of my time into it that I vowed to one day convert it into an assembly game (if I received enough support for it, which I never did, outside of school):
"6)Future Optimizations
If I get enough support (and an asm input routine) I will convert this into an asm RPG (a real one w/ graphics and NOT with ARPGC).
NOTE: in asm, the game will take up less memory (most likely)."
-from the readme file included with the game :)

Well, I'm much more knowledgable now in asm and it was really the pinacle of my involvement in the community. I doubt any of you here have ever tried it, but I spent a countless number of hours both playing and developing it, and I'd like not to be remember as the man of empty promises.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 21871.html
...if you want to check it out. It's what I plan to start work on after Monopoly's conclusion (and my entry to the tifreakware contest, if I don't just blow it off). It might be lame, but it's really the only project I've ever felt proud to say is mine.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I say go for it, I always wanted to finish some of my games and then develop them in Asm. I hope you can do such, as it looks cool!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ahh back in the days when i couldnt program calcs, i wanted to make a James Bond game. I still might do that one day :).

I say go for it as well, it would be really satisfying to revamp and oldie.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

I'll probably keep it on the backburner for now. Hopefully I'll finish everything else I've got planned fairly soon.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

tr1p1ea wrote:Ahh back in the days when i couldnt program calcs, i wanted to make a James Bond game. I still might do that one day :).

I say go for it as well, it would be really satisfying to revamp and oldie.
fps, anybody...?
I think, therefore iMac
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

..but doesn't james bond have the vertical aspect? Everything isn't on the same plane.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

From what I remember reading, James Bond preferred to be horizontal. ;)

There is scope for a FPS engine with up and down movement, of course. coelurus wrote an advanced raycaster with height demo (in C, needs converting to ASM), and Nostromo (if it ever actually works) has variable height floors.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

benryves wrote:From what I remember reading, James Bond preferred to be horizontal. ;)

There is scope for a FPS engine with up and down movement, of course. coelurus wrote an advanced raycaster with height demo (in C, needs converting to ASM), and Nostromo (if it ever actually works) has variable height floors.
ROFL, and I hope so too!
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

benryves wrote:coelurus wrote an advanced raycaster with height demo (in C, needs converting to ASM), and Nostromo (if it ever actually works) has variable height floors.
Oh, the famous snippet.c, which has been lying around for three years already if I'm not mistaken. :P
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

but keep in mind that james bond games need babes!
leaving that out would ruin an otherwise good game.
I think, therefore iMac
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

James Bond was two 2D too...much more plauseable.

@Ben...nice one!

@chickendude...go for it man!
The Revolution is here...
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

So Chickendude, how's it going?
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, he did say he wasn't really going to work on this until after he finished monopoly, so there probably hasn't been much done on this, and there won't be for a little while. Monopoly is coming along nicely though. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Hmm... I'm on a temporary hiatus from programming. I might get around to doing some work on Monopoly this weekend. But I've basically lost a lot of the initial inspiration I had to get back to Monopoly, and the minimal excitement regarding my return has pretty much died off.
Although I have written a clipped sprite routine as well as a new tilemapper which should hopefully be more efficient and applicable for this game.