Total votes: 7

chickendude
Extreme Poster

Another Question About Which Calculator to Buy

Post by chickendude »

Ok, so I have two options.
A) Get a free 84+SE
B) Get a free 89 Titanium.

My mom received a 150 dollar office depot card and she gave them to me to purchase a calculator.

Well, at the Office Depot around here, both are 150 bucks, so I'd just be paying for tax. I would rather not get the Titanium, as after a little research it appears that there are a ton of compatibility issues (although easily fixed). It's just really inconvenient I guess, I'd rather get a regular 89 over the titanium. Also, all the new calculators look incredibly lame in comparison to the older ones. The original SE looked sweet, but everything after is just lame haha.

I'll probably stick with the 84, although the 89 might be a lot more useful as far as college goes.

I don't know. I'm looking mostly from a development standpoint, the z80 is my home. But maybe I should address the functionality of each as well. If you were in my (rather lucky) position, what would you do?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

You can play Gameboy roms on a TI-89. Pwned.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

89 titanium and hope its HW4. Supposedly faster than HW3 titaniums, but hey, why not?

Get TIGCC and you can make some pretty cool games. 68k ASM is 32bit ASM, which might be more useful in the long run, but I agree that z80 is a more comfortable ASM. Still, I like both.

You can play a lot of old games if you use HW3Patch and ghostbusters. Besides, you can hold a ton more of them. However, it seems that 84+SE's ratio of games to memory is better.

Also, if you need a replacement z80, they'll be cheaper.

Or better yet, find a v200 jk jk jk
Image Image Image
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

if you are going to/in high school, get the TI84. If college go with 89.
Life is getting better.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Its a tough one ... the 89t is a nice and powerful calculator, but im not sure about its eligability for tests and the like. That is where the 84+SE will come in handy.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

definitely the 89. Look at what games are out for that thing! It's practically a GB.
but i'd inform with your teacher first if you can use it on tests. If you already have an 83 series calc that shouldnt be a problem though. It's not like the 84+SE is more useful on tests compared to the 83.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

They both own, but I'd choose a TI 89 Titanium, because it can do more, and you can play better games on it.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

At MediaMarkt here in holland a TI-84+ is now only 99.95 euro... i wonder if I should by one
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Haha, well I guess the overwhelming majority have chosen the 89t. I think that that's what I'll get, as if I learn to program for that it will be more useful in the long run.
Thanks for the input guys!

PS: I'm going to start going pawn shop searching (or ebay) for a cheap, used 83+. That way, I'm not stranded without a calculator on tests :)
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

leofox wrote:It's not like the 84+SE is more useful on tests compared to the 83.
Actually it is. Unlike 83 calculators, the 84's check for discontinuity on lines. Also, you can't run Cabamap on an 83. I've used that on tests to get teh 1337 100 digit long answers. :twisted:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I think the 89 is allowed on almost everything the 83+ is allowed on except for ACT, at least for highschool.

edit: uh... scratch that, it isn't anymore
Image Image Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

What isn't the 89 allowed on?

Oh, and by the way this is for college.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

CompWiz wrote:
leofox wrote:It's not like the 84+SE is more useful on tests compared to the 83.
Actually it is. Unlike 83 calculators, the 84's check for discontinuity on lines. Also, you can't run Cabamap on an 83. I've used that on tests to get teh 1337 100 digit long answers. :twisted:
If you are counting apps :P
The flash calcs have leet apps that can do the stuff the 89 can do to.. graph3 and that CAS thing (name?) for example.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Yea, and I believe many are faster than their 89 equivalents (eg 3D Graphing).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Lower resolution screen - it can afford to be faster.