[TI ASM] Grayscale issue?

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

[TI ASM] Grayscale issue?

Post by chickendude »

I haven't tried it since last weekend, but I was trying to convert the pieces to the game I'm working on to grayscale but leave the tilemap in black and white. I'd gotten my routine down in a separate file to work nicely with grayscale, then copied and pasted the routine back into the main file. However, when I do that my tilemap gets all distorted and flashes everywhere. I might just can the grayscale and put a white border around the pieces, as it's not worth the size increase to convert the entire tilemap into grayscale.

So yea, if I do use the grayscale routine, will the entire program have to be grayscale?

(And if you say to wait until I understand the routine better, I respect that and will just wait 'til some later date to incorporate grayscale. It would just make the pieces a lot easier to read against the board.)

Thanks.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

No, you don't need to make everything greyscale. If you copy the tilemap to both greyscale buffers, it will appear solid black/white. It does depend, however, how the greyscale routine stores the buffers.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well you dont need to change anything to have it not screw up really. If you just write your tilemap to 1 buffer then it will appear gray and not black. It shouldnt flicker and such ... there must be something more serious going on. Perhaps the mapper isnt working or the grayscale routine is borked? Does it mess up in PindurTI or on hardware ... as you might know some calcs have screwey LCD drivers that need fixing.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I say we need code!
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Just get a tilemap routine for black and white...

I think what he tried to do is use the greyscale routine for a black and white game. Using the grey routines while everything is black and white anyway sounds like a huge waste to me.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

(I'm using Duck's GPP)

Well, I have my black and white tilemap routine designed beforehand, without any issues. I went through and changed all the GetCSCs and the other various incompatible rom calls.

And in addition to flickering, the tilemap pieces are tossed about randomly on the screen. I know (well, you can never *know* but I'm very very certain) that didn't change anything to my black and white tilemap. Do I need to draw that with gsPutSprite (or whatever it is) as well? (I'm currently just using the ionPutSprite routine).

I can try posting relevant code later tonight to see if there's any issues; I figured there was something large that I was doing incorrectly or just straight up ignoring.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Hmm. It sounds very much like your greyscale routine is interferring with the RAM you have your tilemap stored in. Remember that with ducks package saferams 1 and 2 (I think) are off limits.

We really need to see code (or one of those nice animated screenshots) to know something, as what you're describing could be a number of things. Could you post both the messed up version and your last working version?

-gamefreak

*edit* Wait, you want greyscale pieces on a black and white board? I see. Go ahead and try making all the "black and white" tiles in greyscale mode and using the grey putSprite routine, like you suggested. (do this in your tilemapper.) If that works out, you know where the problem is.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well my last working version is available for download in the Monopoly topic under Announce Your Projects. I'll try to make a screenshot tonight and upload it (although it won't be very comprehendible, the whole screen just jumps all over). And yea, I made sure to switch all my variables to I think SafeRAM3.

I should be able to work on it tonight though. :)
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Ok, well I got the grayscale to work. I just ldir-ed gbuf to gbuf2 and it turned out great. But then I decided it wasn't worth the extra 1000+ bytes it incurred onto the filesize just to put the characters in grayscale. And, as jim e said before, I really shouldn't be using it until I understand it.

Thanks for all the help :) and criticism ;)