veg*ns

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

chickendude
Extreme Poster

veg*ns

Post by chickendude »

Any vegetarians or vegans on here?
If vegetarian, what kind? (ovo, lacto-ovo, etc, but not the kind that eats fish, as a vegetarian doesn't eat fish.)

I'm interested to find out how "compassionate" the TI community is :)
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

Sorry I had chicken legs for dinner last night :X

-Mike
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Im afraid i like my meat also. I personally dont think there is anything wrong or immoral about eating meat. Though i know that there are some vegetarians out there that cant eat meat/animal byproducts for medical reasons.

Eating meat does not mean that you are not "compassionate".

This thread is already on a thin line. Just a warning, if this turns into a flame war it will be gone.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Alright. Well this isn't a thread for those of you that eat meat. It's for vegans and vegetarians.
If that's a problem or there's no one here that is, I guess I'll just request that someone delete it.

And as far as saying that there is nothing immoral about it, I feel that is a hasty generalization but I won't ignite any sparks over it.

You can have your opinion, and I'll have mine. :)

But, as I said, this thread was established so that I could find out if there were any veg*ns on this board, not to find out how many of you eat meat.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

chickendude wrote:But, as I said, this thread was established so that I could find out if there were any veg*ns on this board, not to find out how many of you eat meat.
hmm, process of elimination when no one posts? :mrgreen: J/k

Yeah, my sister is the type of "vegitarian" that eats fish. And once in a great while(like thanksgiving) real gravy. Other than that, just vegetables. I'm not though.

I'm just curious, do you make sure that you are getting all the right kinds of partial proteins that you need? From what my health teacher says, if you are a vegitarian, you need to eat foods out of a bunch of lists each day to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. Seems like a lot of trouble.

So, I'll take my leave of this thread. If you don't want this post here, request a mod to delete it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

There is no need for this thread to be deleted, even if there are no vegetarians present on these boards. I also dont see why non-vegetarians should be prohibitted from posting ... provided it isnt meaningless taunting *looks at Mike K*.

I dont mean to offend with my meat eating ways, but you should also refrain from offending others as well; compassion is not an emotion exclusively reserved for those that dont eat meat you know.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well, you know, there is a precedent to a topic only for certain people. The 1000 post thread is only for people with that many posts.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Compassion, generally, is not necessarily limited to people that don't eat meat. But I would certainly say that compassion towards animals is.

However, eating meat is a major contributor to pollution and world hunger, both of which are not "compassionate" towards the earth and its residents.

If you want to open it to a debate about it, I'm fine with that :)

I'm interested to see your reasoning and justification.

As far as vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, a well-balanced salad will take care of 90% of them. As a nation, we eat far too much protein than is healthy, and as a result have a much higher osteoporosis and obesity rate than many other countries.

Really, a varied vegan diet will provide just about everything you need. Honestly, I should've been more worried about my diet before I was vegan, it was far less healthy.

The only vitamin that cannot as of yet be reliably obtained from plant sources is Vitamin B12, but I get more than enough from fortified soy milk and orange juice (only about 3 to 5 micrograms of it per day is suggested).

I realize that none of you are likely to ever change your diets, so I'm not here to proselytize.

Just curious. Thanks :)

PS: I feel much healthier now than I ever have. Ever. And even if they developed an ethical way to obtain meat (steak tree, anyone?), I still wouldn't turn back to it as I feel so much more alive and focused now :) Hah, sorry for the advertisement, I didn't mean it to come across that way.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

well actually, I read an article that said that scientists were able to grow seaks in laboratories, with no cow attatched. They simply take some cells and grow them into a muscle, exercising it with electricity occasionally.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

However, eating meat is a major contributor to pollution and world hunger, both of which are not "compassionate" towards the earth and its residents.

If you want to open it to a debate about it, I'm fine with that
Alright, here is my opening argument.

Now, before you blow him off, actually read the article: Maddox may be humorous, but he's extremely satirical as well, and makes several good points. I think it would be relevant to note that none of those statistics are made up. :)
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

chickendude wrote:Compassion, generally, is not necessarily limited to people that don't eat meat. But I would certainly say that compassion towards animals is.
And compassion towards plants? I never understood the moral argument for vegetarianism. You can't survive without taking other living beings' life. Plants are actually in a disadvantageous position, since they can't express their suffering in a way we can perceive...
chickendude wrote:However, eating meat is a major contributor to pollution and world hunger, both of which are not "compassionate" towards the earth and its residents.
I think cars and heavy vehicles are much more harmful to the environment. I don't drive cars and hardly ever travel in one. Beat that. :P
chickendude wrote:As a nation, we eat far too much protein than is healthy, and as a result have a much higher osteoporosis and obesity rate than many other countries.
I think it's rather the poor quality industrial 'food' we should blame besides the unnatural lifestyle (that is, next to zero physical exercise). If you get your vegetable products from factories too, you're no better off.

Seems like a new debate thread, sorry. :)
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Not to get too "debatey":

I've eaten vegetarian food at uni once and I must say it tasted real well and it looked pretty tasty as well. I thought they had misplaced the chili-con-carne, but closer inspection revealed something else :)
Personally, I like meat, fish and all that, so that's what I eat. It's not unhealthy, but sheared proportions of what you eat is.

Gosh, I can't help but getting some debating here :P
Meat wastes resources. The further up the food-chain you get, the more resources you waste. Note that this is not a simple matter, it's about wasting stuff you can't get back.
I still like meat :)
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

chickendude wrote:Compassion, generally, is not necessarily limited to people that don't eat meat. But I would certainly say that compassion towards animals is.

Thanks for demonstrating that compassion (towards one's fellow man) is also not inherit to vegetarianism. I already know it's certainly not exclusive from that group as some friends of mine are vegetarian, but you showed exactly the kind of attitude I expect vegetarians to express on the interweb.
As far as vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, a well-balanced salad will take care of 90% of them. As a nation, we eat far too much protein than is healthy, and as a result have a much higher osteoporosis and obesity rate than many other countries.
And as we all know every single individual in society should perform thus that statistics will show a better profile of said society. [/sarcasm] How about those that eat unhealthily are hold free to fix that physical problem while the others are kept out of stigmatisation, ok?

I've toyed with the idea of vegetarianism as all ideas should be toyed with, but chosen to remain against following it myself. I've already been hard-pressed enough with getting enough usefull stuff (nutrients, vitamins, fats, proteins, etc) into my body with meat, I'm not going to make that even harder on myself by replacing food sources that are highly weight efficient in the nutrients they provide (which males need more of than females so that makes it even less feasible, the only vegetarians I know IRL are female interestingly enough) with eating more green stuff. Which I already eat plenty of.

I find the health arguments rather silly, if you think that fruits and vegetables and all that are mass-produced in perfect order without any synthetic "poisons" or harm to the environment of any kind then you need a reality check. The only way you're going to make that feasible is if you grow everything yourself, which is increadibly time-inefficient, which is the reason it's mass-produced in the first place.

Mind you, another argument is against animal cruelty, which isn't aimed so much at the fact that they die, but how they die. Yes, plants die too, but they're not abused as much while they live. This I can see some merit in as I've been to farms where the animals where simply not treated well, to say the least. However, unless a huge majority of society chooses against this farmers would only be more pushed towards cheaper less animal friendly methods of farming so that's not going to fly either.
I realize that none of you are likely to ever change your diets, so I'm not here to proselytize.
I have changed mine, just not in favor of vegetarianism.
PS: I feel much healthier now than I ever have. Ever. And even if they developed an ethical way to obtain meat (steak tree, anyone?), I still wouldn't turn back to it as I feel so much more alive and focused now :)
Now that is a valid argument in my book. No matter why you feel different (better!) now, I'm not going to argue that you should change your life, because you do feel different (better!) and I'd rather want you to follow that with the enthusiasm that you show.

All I can do is advise to lose assumptions against any other reasoning. There are more sides to this coin than anyone can count, so don't put everybody on the only other side that you see. ; )

Also, vegan chicks are cute.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

And compassion towards plants?
How many plants were killed to feed the animals you ate? AT LEAST ten or fifteen pounds per one pound of meat. Veganism is more compassionate towards plants.

Over 70% of the crops grown are fed to farm animals.

All of the manure from cows:
"Uncontrolled methane is a toxic greenhouse gas, 20 times more harmful to the atmosphere than carbon dioxide."
-http://www.portlandgeneral.com/communit ... biogas.asp (not an animal rights website)

"Large-scale animal factories, generally concentrated on small land areas,
produce an estimated 500 million tons of manure each day"
-'Bush Issues Rule For Factory-Style Farms', Associated Press

"A mid-sized 30 mpg car driving 12,000 miles/year will create about 3.55 tons of CO2/year."