Monopoly

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Pucrunch is the compression it supports. It includes instructions and a compression tool with the download here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 32507.html

Here's the Manual, if you want to read more: http://home.comcast.net/~alanweiss3/dwe ... chyos.html
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Thanks! I think I can guarantee that there will be a compressed version of Monopoly to work with COS. :)

Also, the property purchasing section is entirely done, but I need to figure out a way to keep track of the different rent prices of all the properties. I'm hoping there's some sort of formula or something I can use! Help!!!

"If your program needs to perminently save self modifying code that is scattered all over the place, you should design your program differently. CrunchyOS won't support the excessive number of short saveblocks necessary for those situations. Redesign your program so the self-modify code can be stored to and rebuilt from a table of bytes for example."

Does that mean that it doesn't support program writeback if you don't define the sections that need it? That might actually be useful, so I don't have to reinitialize the tile data each time. Everything that I need saved is going to be stored in the save file, so that should work out just fine :). And the final verdict for the 83 saved files? I'm thinking of just having one save file built into the game. Therefore, starting a new game will reset your old game.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I'm sure the one built in save will be fine. Most games do that anyway.

As for the writeback, I think it needs to be all in one place, as it says in the manual:
If your program has multiple regions of data that needs to be saved, you should move the lines around so that the entire savegame is one big contiguous block. The shell supports split savedata, but the batch file that builds the program does not.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well, I just don't see what difference having it in one place versus multiple places would be. I think it's just a matter of defining the areas that require writeback, but it's simply easier to keep them in one spot because it's simpler to manage. Heh, but you're probably right. Anyways, hopefully I'll get some work done on it this weekend. I'm up in D.C. helping my fiance move into college and staying over with a friend. I should have some alone time (!) to get stuff done.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Argh. I'm starting to get incredibly bored with this project. Is anyone even interested in it? If not, I might as well set it down for a while. I'm working on it now and it's just upsetting how much stuff is left to do and how poorly written it is. I just sit there, thinking about what to work on next. Well anyways, a lot of the little tiny bugs plaguing me during testing have been cleaned up. I'll motivate myself to finish up the stats menu. After that, I don't even know. I guess do something with staying in jail.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I do hope you choose to continue and finish this. I am looking forward to it. But if you need to, feel free to take a break from programming for a little while. And don't worry about how poorly written it is. A it's in asm, I'm sure it will be plenty fast enough. Also, the crunchy compressed version will be small, so you don't really have to worry too much about those problems. Don't you have a lot of it done already? It seems that you don't really have that much left to do.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I hope you decide to continue with this later, but for now it is always fun to have a side project ;) (that seems to be all I do now >.>).
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well, I've got all the options to implement, I have to figure out a way to tell if a person is in jail, handle doubles, implement multiplayer, create an AI, handle the chance/comm chest cards (right now it just displays the text, I'm working on a system to handle what they do: give money, take away, send you to a specific tile, etc.), I've got to write the options menu, finish up the stats screen, finish drawing character sprites, determine how you lose a game, houses/hotels, mortgaging etc.

Then there are the things that are dependent on multiplayer implementation, such as selling, trading, deciding what each property's rent is when landing on someone else's tile, and I'm sure a lot of other things.

Really, the majority of it's done (and most larger pieces of it), but there are just a whole bunch of smaller things to do. Plus, you currently can't lose the game.

Maybe I'll rewrite the tilemap engine. It'd be kind of like a side project. The only issue is that so many of the variables in the current tilemap engine are shared throughout the entire game. We'll see. There's definitely room for compression.

EDIT: Also, I have a project that I plan to work on for that TiFreakware contest. I feel guilty starting on it before this is done, so it really needs to either be tossed or completed, and soon!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Well, the first version you release doesn't need to have AI and optional play modes, so you shouldn't worry about those right now.

If you're working on an entry to a calc programming contest, that does have to come first due to the time limit. When you're done with that, you can come back to this. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Well, I'm just trying to use the contest as motivation to get started on the project. The other project I have planned will, most likely, progress regardless of whether it makes the contest deadline.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Alright. I've got an important question. I've been working on the stats menu, and I've begun writing the script to display all the properties you own. However, the real question is this: Do you want to show you all the properties you own? Or have a list of every property and who owns it?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

Alright, so I'm getting more and more creative. I'm thinking about drawing a cursor and having it shown on the left of each property you own. Click on it and it will show you a bunch of stats about that tile: mortgage value, how many houses are on it, how much houses cost, perhaps how many times people have landed on it/how much money it's made for you? ...some stuff like that. I still need to decide what goes inside the ingame options menu, I really can't think of anything.

Pleaseeee tell me your thoughts.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

i dont have many thoughts, but about that compression.. doesnt anyone use Lite8x and omnicalc anymore?
chickendude
Extreme Poster

PICTURE!

Post by chickendude »

Here's a new screenie that shows the chance routine, community chest routine, purchasing property (the number that appears in the upper left hand side of the screen is how much money you've got left, it was just for error checking, maybe I should display it with the prompt to purchase the property so you know how much you've got before you buy it?), a couple new sprites that I drew, passing go, landing on previously purchased properties, the stats screen!!!!, and a couple other things maybe that I can't think of. I'll probably make the "You currently own" screen into a subroutine and use that to calculate the player's net worth. I'm trying to think of how to handle it when you own over seven properties.

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Looks good! How far are you with the projects? 60%?