Metroid Pure

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Metroid Pure

Post by CDI »

So, if you've been on IRC recentally you may have seen me with the word "Mansion" as part of my nick, and the most I told anyone at any time (besides certan people) is that it's a project name, after whiping up some code as seen here I began adding things, like doors, and a gun, and enemies... Then I thought to myself, "well, since this will be a platformer, I need good test maps" so I dug up the original 4 test maps for Metroid I noticed that this was pretty fun, I added in a morph ball like ability, and all of a sudden I had Metroid, on the homescreen. At first I decided NOT to do this game, because last time I did, it took 5 months and countless hours of work, and I'm still not done with it...

But then Kévin Ouellet started to work on Metroid II as a sort of sequel to mine (totally better though) and I didn't want to enfringe upon his territory. So I just idled by and let him do his thing, but just to have fun I showed him this and he got all excited, so I went with it, and kept adding maps (and in cases a few more rooms) originaly (and loosely) based off of this it's a direct port of Metroid BASIC 83+ to the homescreen, only now I have 20k to do it in, and maps will take up about 9k of that, leaving me 11k for gameplay (4k of the ram is going to be used for ingame data). There are 2 screenshots of this game as seen here and here.

The bosses in the game will all be the same ones as in the original Metroid BASIC, Kraid will change from the 64px tall behometh to a 2 character tall thing, though he did seem to gain a new power. The varia suit after Boss 2 is gone, and missles (needed to kill Mother Brain) take it's place, you can jump forever in lava, but it will always hurt you, there are 2 more health pickups in the game (for a max health of 399 when going up against Mother Brain) the room for the 2nd boss no longer has rising and falling lava, thus making it easier. The ship is the only thing that recharges health (besides health packs) and after you beat Mother Brain, instead of the game ending with an explosion, you have to escape before a timer runs out.

So, what now? Well... I have to do all the boss battles, code in the gaining of the morph ball, code in the gaining of the health packs, and the rest of the maps, and then some little extra things if I have space.
ImageImage
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

wow, sounds great. :) I can't wait to see the final game.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ahh i suspected that was the ship! Awesome stuff CDI :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Wow! That looks amazing. I have always had a special penchant for text-based games.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I love that screenie!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Thanks for the support guys!

I finished the Kraid battle, now I'm working on the 2nd boss, then comes Mother Brain, and possible the 4th boss, if you need more detailed info, check out the forum at omnimaga
ImageImage
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

This game looks really great. Awesome to see some more GOOD pure basic games coming out, haven't seen much since contra.
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

This looks awesome. I hope it gets finished. There are so many games that are great that never get done.
Wright Studios.org the place for calculator graphics.