Space Dodgers

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Dragonwarrior333

Space Dodgers

Post by Dragonwarrior333 »

I have been working on this game called Space Dodgers its not for the calculator its for Windows. (I am pretty shure it won't work on Macs :cry: )

I made it in Visual Basic and have been working on it for a few months. MegaSasquatch has been doing an exceptional job with the graphics. I wanted to post this on the forum to see if you guys had any suggestions.

Space Dodgers is a spaceship game where as of now the enemy missles do not follow a specific pattern. You get powerups and you have a lifebar. I might also want to put in some bosses.

The web site is http://www.freewebs.com/dwarrior333 there you can find new updates and betas. The controls are also on the beta section of the site accesible with a password and a username for beta testers. There is also a guestbook there for suggestions. If anyone would like to be a beta tester post it here and then we will pm you if we would like you to beta test. :D
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Sounds like a cool project dragon... you have any screenies or vids?

Btw i like your site, and the logo which won is very nice also :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Dragonwarrior333

Here is a picture of the game

I really did not want to make any vids but I did do the screenshot.
Note: The powerup is not messed up it only looks like that.
The green bar is your life and the blue is how long you have your powerup.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

messedup how? I think it looks fine?

This is awesome!! I hope it runs pretty fast. I guess I shouldn't underestimate VB, but then again, the only VB programs I've seen up til now were applications.

Keep up the good work!!
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Is this is VB6 or VB.net?
Dragonwarrior333

Liazon wrote:messedup how? I think it looks fine?

This is awesome!! I hope it runs pretty fast. I guess I shouldn't underestimate VB, but then again, the only VB programs I've seen up til now were applications.

Keep up the good work!!
If you look closely at the falling health powerup you can kinda see it looks like there is two sprites, but it is because I took a screenshot in the middle of the draw/erase process.

Yes the game runs pretty fast :lol:
kv83 wrote:Is this is VB6 or VB.net?
Its VB6, i really don't like Vb.net :evil:
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

It looks great. :) If you need another beta tester I'd be happy to.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:
Why? It's OO, which makes game programming a lot easier ... plus it has powerfull .net libraries. (They even have some really nice game programming tutorials for vb.net and c# .net on msdn)

Ah well, as long as it "works", I guess I can't complain :) Nice to see you're still programming :)
Dragonwarrior333

I need to know all the people who want to beta test so I can decide who gets to be a be a beta tester.

I already know of Compwiz and I don't know if kv83, Liazon, or tr1p1ea want to.
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

If you need to test your game on an old machine...
I have a laptop, approximately 10 years old (I am using it now).
Revolution Software
Dragonwarrior333

kv83 wrote:
Dragonwarrior333 wrote:
Why? It's OO, which makes game programming a lot easier ... plus it has powerfull .net libraries. (They even have some really nice game programming tutorials for vb.net and c# .net on msdn)

Ah well, as long as it "works", I guess I can't complain :) Nice to see you're still programming :)
Visual Basic 6 is OO and I dont like VB.net because there is no control arrays mainly :evil:

Ok now Nano and Compwiz are my applicants?
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I've got a nice new computer to test it on. So, is this game multithreaded? My AMD athlon 64 X2 4400+ performs better that way. :mrgreen: jk

can you even make VB games multithreaded? :?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Dragonwarrior333

CompWiz wrote:I've got a nice new computer to test it on. So, is this game multithreaded? My AMD athlon 64 X2 4400+ performs better that way. :mrgreen: jk

can you even make VB games multithreaded? :?
Idk im pretty shure it can't.

I will be sending out pms to people that have posted so if you don't want to test just ignore them. :D
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Dragonwarrior333 wrote:
kv83 wrote:
Dragonwarrior333 wrote: Its VB6, i really don't like Vb.net :evil:

Visual Basic 6 is OO and I dont like VB.net because there is no control arrays mainly :evil:
Last time I check VB6 was not OO. (It ain't. Or when was the last time you did an inheritt in VB6?)
Wiki wrote:Visual Basic versions 5 and 6 are not quite object oriented languages as they do not include implementation inheritance.
and for what do you need a "control array" (which should be in VB.net aswell) anyway in a game?
Dragonwarrior333

kv83 wrote:
Dragonwarrior333 wrote:
kv83 wrote:Why? It's OO, which makes game programming a lot easier ... plus it has powerfull .net libraries. (They even have some really nice game programming tutorials for vb.net and c# .net on msdn)

Last time I check VB6 was not OO. (It ain't. Or when was the last time you did an inheritt in VB6?)
Wiki wrote:Visual Basic versions 5 and 6 are not quite object oriented languages as they do not include implementation inheritance.
and for what do you need a "control array" (which should be in VB.net aswell) anyway in a game?
Inheritance

Inheritance comes in two forms. Interface and Implementation inheritance. Interface inheritance is available in Visual Basic since VB6's introduction of the Implements keyword. Implementation inheritance is available as of VB.NET with the Inherits keyword.

The main difference between the two inheritances is that interface inheritance should specify only a contract of desired behavior. It should not allow any corresponding implementation code. It is up to other classes, which realize that interface, to provide the implementation.

Implementation inheritance lets subclasses share common code and attributes (properties). Also, implementation inheritance's ability to declare an operation abstract enables it to act similar to interface inheritance and force subclasses to implement the operation instead.

A VB.NET class can only enter into an implementation inheritance relationship with one superclass (also called base or ancestor class). However, VB.NET, like VB6, lets that same class enter into as many interface inheritance relationships as it chooses.
Its like semi-OO so I got kinda confused :(

Also control arrays are I think in VB.net but not with the same ease as vb 6 also dosnt Ben Ryves use VB6?http://www.benryves.com/?page=pics&gallery=ow

Here is a link about control arrays:http://visualbasic.about.com/od/usingvb ... arraya.htm

Ps: I sent out pms to people who posted so reply ASAP if you want to beta test :D
Last edited by Dragonwarrior333 on Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.