Please Delete ASAP - Thanks!

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Please Delete ASAP - Thanks!

Post by kalan_vod »

I had a crappy version of falldown I made a little over a year ago, and I decided to update it and make a better version. Any suggestions would be great.

About: Falldown Ripoff is a ripoff of Falldown by Patrick Davidson. I haven't updated this in a long time, so I decided to make this more like Patrick's. There are settings that will let you change the speed and size of each bar, also when selecting the difficulty you can set it to 9 and it will be randomly generated bar sizes.

This is a old and new SS.
New
Old

[download]
Last edited by kalan_vod on Sun 04 Jun, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I'm curious as to why you're making this. Is it better than the real falldown? Does it have any features that differentiate it?

How about a 3d falldown? :twisted: I'd put that on my calc. :mrgreen:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

You know what? You are right, all my games aren't as good as an asm on...I guess I am wasting my time here.....are any games made in asm like mario better than the original on NES/SNES?????? I guess they are wasting their time to? Thanks for the support, makes me proud to be here on MC...
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Kalan, relax... It's a bit harsh, but he's got a valid point, and it's the obvious question to ask, isn't it?

Then again you probably just do this for fun and not to contribute a better falldown to the community :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

I agree with Kalan, though...I mean, why even ask that? Just say "Cool, good job" and move on, even if you dont think so..give support and contructive (key word) criticism, not criticism because theres a better ASM one. Maybe he's doing it to entertain himself. Or maybe, he'd like some recognition from the community. Not a fucked up reason, is it? Anyway, i think its great, cos its a great BASIC version. but thats just my opinion. And im not trying to be rude or anything
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I once saw a 2 player falldown game. I forget which calc it was for. I think it was for the 86, and it was greyscale.
Image Image Image
Spellshaper

Post by Spellshaper »

Timendus wrote:Then again you probably just do this for fun and not to contribute a better falldown to the community :)
The fun comes from people enjoying one's work, but that's probably just me :wink:
I guess we all try to contribute to the community, else we'd not be here posting around.

At least I like Kalan's falldown ripoff...
PSYCALYPSE
Nigecha dame da!
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Liazon wrote:I once saw a 2 player falldown game. I forget which calc it was for. I think it was for the 86, and it was greyscale.
There is a two player version of falldown for the 83 calcs, I have it on my calculator right now. No grayscale though.

Kalan, I didn't mean to discourage or insult you. You did a nice job making that game. However, I think BASIC is more suited for other purposes than making clones of classic asm games. You can make great text adventure games that are perfectly suited for BASIC, as it is the story and writing that sets it apart from other games, not speed and graphics. Also, some graphical RPG's have been done well in Basic. In my opinion, I'd never work on a project if I knew that the end result would be largely inferior to another very similar already-existing program. However, feel free to do whatever you want. Your basic version of falldown looks very good for what it is.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

CompWiz wrote:
Liazon wrote:I once saw a 2 player falldown game. I forget which calc it was for. I think it was for the 86, and it was greyscale.
There is a two player version of falldown for the 83 calcs, I have it on my calculator right now. No grayscale though.

Kalan, I didn't mean to discourage or insult you. You did a nice job making that game. However, I think BASIC is more suited for other purposes than making clones of classic asm games. You can make great text adventure games that are perfectly suited for BASIC, as it is the story and writing that sets it apart from other games, not speed and graphics. Also, some graphical RPG's have been done well in Basic. In my opinion, I'd never work on a project if I knew that the end result would be largely inferior to another very similar already-existing program. However, feel free to do whatever you want. Your basic version of falldown looks very good for what it is.
So, you wouldn't make any game ever then right? Since it could be made on a pc or something else, and it would be better? Just leave me alone, ill just do what my shitty mind wants even if that means it isn't as good as a asm version...

I made the game originally last year, and made a better version recently...im sorry that my game I made last year wasn't good enough for you.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kalan_vod wrote:
CompWiz wrote:

So, you wouldn't make any game ever then right? Since it could be made on a pc or something else, and it would be better? Just leave me alone, ill just do what my shitty mind wants even if that means it isn't as good as a asm version...

I made the game originally last year, and made a better version recently...im sorry that my game I made last year wasn't good enough for you.
Please understand, I'm not trying to discourage or offend you. like I said, your falldown game is very good for a Basic game. Feel free to make any games you want, in any language you want. The only point that I was originally trying to get across, is that, IMHO, you could make games in basic that are much more suited to the language than clones of already good asm games. There are probably not that many people that would want this game, I would think, seeing as how there is a better one already available. However, like I said, you did a great job on this, within the constraints of the language, and I am happy to see your accomplishment. I mean you no disrespect in my comments. Please accept my apologies for offending you.

As for my comment about not making programs that are similar to other already existing programs, this of course applies only to programs on the same platform, so excluding pc in this case. There are plenty of good pc games you could make in Basic on the calculator. They might not be as good as the pc version, but they could be great on the calculator. Look how Loom is turning out. Like I said, text adventures games can be ported to the calc, with sometimes great results. You can program them, or not, by the whims of your interest and desire. It is up to you. If making clones of asm programs is what you like to do, then I would be glad to see you pushing the limits of basic, and showing that it can accomplish some feats formerly only done in asm.
Loki
Extreme Poster
Location: My world is in grayscale, but if i stand still long enough, i see it in black and white.

Post by Loki »

So then what you're saying is that BASIC is only suited for text RPGs, and some graphical ones? Its close-mindedness like that that holds back the true potential of any language. Dont say something cant be done in any language, instead, let someone try it, and if they fail dont say "I told you so", say "nice effort". You know what, Kalan? Program to your heart's content. Dont listen to narrow-minded comments like BASIC is only good for text games. And again, im not trying to be rude or anything, but if your gonna say one language is betetr than another and you should only stick to things the language is good at, then i dont wanna hear it...keep it to yourself. But thats just my opinion.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Leave him alone, it was a valid question. He never said BASIC is only suited for text rpgs, but you have to admit it is difficult to do anything graphical. No one is saying it isn't possible. People thought grayscale was impossible and now we can do it in BASIC. He didn't say it can't be done in a language, he said some languages are better suited for some types of games. Again, it is undeniable that a BASIC text game with good speed is generally easier to program than a graphical game with good speed. In assembly, text comparison and manipulation can be considered more difficult than simply using the = command.
CompWiz wrote:can accomplish some feats formerly done only in asm.
That is a compliment. I understand why you guys feel angry about this. I think you are missing the main message of his statement, he said that the game is impressive, he just didn't understand a port for the same platform. I don't know why one would do it either, but I've done it before too. I made falldown, I made tetris, I've even made BASIC ports of existing BASIC games.

CompWiz: No reason I guess.

Kalan_Vod: It's a good looking game and the 2nd screenshot shows a huge speed boost, what did you do to make it so much faster?

Loki: Don't misinterpret, that exacerbates the situation.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Loki wrote: So then what you're saying is that BASIC is only suited for text RPGs, and some graphical ones? Its close-mindedness like that that holds back the true potential of any language. Dont say something cant be done in any language, instead, let someone try it, and if they fail dont say "I told you so", say "nice effort". You know what, Kalan? Program to your heart's content. Dont listen to narrow-minded comments like BASIC is only good for text games. And again, im not trying to be rude or anything, but if your gonna say one language is betetr than another and you should only stick to things the language is good at, then i dont wanna hear it...keep it to yourself. But thats just my opinion.
reread my post please. I think you must have just glanced it over before you posted this. Most of the things you accuse me of doing I haven't said.
Spellshaper

Post by Spellshaper »

Okok...

I will tell you guys it IS difficult to do decent stuff in BASIC.
Another reason why we try to push the limits! ^_^

ComWiz's comments were at least constructive.
I know some people are oversensitive when it comes to their work, but hey! Criticism shows you what people think of it.
PSYCALYPSE
Nigecha dame da!
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Spellshaper wrote:I will tell you guys it IS difficult to do decent stuff in BASIC.
Nobody disagrees with that :) That's in fact exactely the "problem"; writing fast graphical games in Basic can be hell. Picking a language suited for a purpose is not narrow-minded, it's a very important part of software design.

There's never such thing as a "better" programming language, it all depends on the requirements and on what you wish to achieve. I think that's what CompWiz was trying to say.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS