[PC C++] DirectX Help

Got questions? Got answers? Go here for both.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

msdn? MSDN?? OK, good reference if you know the exact name of the function you're looking for, and need to know what one of its properties/methods is. Bad if you want to be able to find anything reevent to a topic, specific to a particular language or subject matter, or if you need to know how to actually use most of the methods. (yes, I have it)

</rambling>

Sorry, I didn't catch that you had actually made the correction. I'll sush now...

-thegamefreak

PS: Thanks again!
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Oh, heh, yes, the old MSDN was pretty dire (the search facility was broken beyond belief). The recent MSDN search actually works (ie, doesn't return 300 irrelevant articles). Don't forget that I hardly ever use VS 2003 any more (I have the full Pro edition of 2003, and the free versions of 2005, and they seriously prod buttock over 2003 Pro) so have forgotton most of the annoyances of 2003.

Install Visual Studio 2005, for the love of all that is holy :D

Of course, I'm not talking about the web-based version, which is (as you stated) only good as a reference.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I might have to see about getting the free version of 2005 ... are there any restrictions?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

No. It never expires, and you can sell what you make with it (which were the major concerns). If you download the ~450MB IMG/ISO files (which I have) you don't even need to register with MS (the web-based ones require free registration after 30 days).

They aren't the full product - each language has it's own IDE, rather than having a single IDE for all of them, and if you decide to write native Win32 C++ applications you have to use a 3rd party resource editor (the .NET resource editors are all there, though).

What you pay for, if you buy the full version, is for things like a site license, the team development stuff, the profiler &c.