Basicbuilder plugins

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

mmartin

Basicbuilder plugins

Post by mmartin »

I am the author of basicbuilder and would like to ask a question to the (advanced) basic programmers here. I don't know if you've used basicbuilder but it's a windows program to package your application inside an app. When the app is started, your basic programs will be unpacked from the app, executed and deleted afterwards. It's the closest thing to actually executing from archive.

I've gotten some feature requests for advanced features and am considering to add a plugin system to basicbuilder in order to support them. For example I (or anyone else) might add a plugin that only extracts the main program and keeps the subprograms stored in flash. Whenever a subprogram is called, it is unpacked, executed and deleted. This means that only the programs that are actually running are in memory. For example program B and C might be 16kb (they don't fit together in memory) and program A is the main program (:prgmB:prgmC) What happens is that B is unpacked and run but it is deleted before C is unpacked and run. This means that there will be enough memory to execute C even if B and C don't fit together.

Another possibility would be to add features of XLib to basicbuilder. This would allow you to distribute your entire program as a single app that should work on any calculator. Or you could add a grayscale plugin.

Now my question is if there are enough people that would use the plugins? Also, please tell me any reason why you think this plugin system is useful to you. I will try to submit this as a google summer of code project and any reasons I can give in my application are handy.

Thanks,
Martin
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I could use the first idea to archive the maps in my game instead of cluttering the OS with 50 different map prgms.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

martin, how often do you get on ICQ?
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

I agree with cryzbl that this sounds like an awesome idea with a lot of potential
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

me too. Im assuming the plugins would be in python like the rest of BBuilder?

[edit]
or rather like BBuilder's back end.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

I never understood python though...I suppose it would give me a reason to learn though (:
elfprince13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by elfprince13 »

really? for me it was by far the easiest language Ive learned after HTML, Logo and Basic....

[edit]

90th post!!! woot.
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

I don't have any fixed times I am on ICQ, but you can always try to see if I'm online.

The plugins would probably be a combination of python and z80-assembly. The python code should specify on the pc what assembly code has to be added to the app at what locations.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

it would just be the best if you could do that, that would make running stealth lots easier

the only thing i would need basicbuilder to do then is to ungroup groups and delete those elements after use. Then it would be perfect :)
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

Why do you need to ungroup groups? Basicbuilder already stores it's own equivalent for groups inside the app. This has the advantage that you can redistribute the app as a single item. While a normal basic program either has to be distributed as a group that has to be unpacked or it is distributed as a whole set of programs you need.
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

so you are saying that technically i could have, say, seven groups inside the app, each containing varying amounts of programs in them?
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

No, he is saying the app is a group its self. You pack all the programs and pics inside the app.
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

At the moment you have a group of basic programs inside the app for each menu item. When a menu item is selected, the group is extracted and the main program is executed, after execution all programs are deleted. The pics are stored inside the app and can only be retrieved using RecallPic, which extracts them directly from the app to display them. The pics have global names which are the same for alle programs/menu items inside the app.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

i forgot to ask, do you think to could compress it too?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

mmartin

Post by mmartin »

It already has pucrunch builtin as compression mechanism.