Send a message to the future!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Send a message to the future!

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Someone sent me this link, and I thought it was interesting. Basically you get to send in a message, and it will be stored on a staelite that will be launched into space and return to earth after 50,000 years.

http://www.keo.org/uk/pages/message.php

Personally, I'm going to get ahold of a GPS and tell them my exact geolocation and time and ask that, if they have invented time travel, that they send me back something ;).
Last edited by L4E_WakaMol-King on Sat 29 Apr, 2006 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

What are the odds that the protocols for text will be the same in 50,000 years? That anyone will speak english? That computers will still be using the same exact structure (bits, bytes)? That we will be using the same structures (base 10)? That ASCII is still used? That humanity will even still exist? That the satellite won't be horribly marred and damaged by dust, micro-asteriods, etc? That the data will still be intact? That we will have the equipment to be able to read CD-ROMS? That we will have the equipment to read the equipment to read the CD-ROMS? That anybody will notice one satellite in the trillions out there? That anybody will care? That we will even still be on earth? That earth won't have been destroyed?

Or, to put it another way, if 50,000 years ago (48,000bc) all the caveman were to write some records of there lives, would we be able to read them and understand them?

As a personal thought excersise, it's excellent. In reality, it's so far-fetched it's not even worth it.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

You're probably right... however, this was designed by rocket scientists (literally), so I have a feeling they have taken all of those things into account. The people (if there are even people at all) may not be able to read the data on this satelite... but if no one writes anything on it, then they certainly won't be able to read it.

It might not make it back, and even if it does, it might not be noticed or read. But it's also free and only takes a few minutes to do. What do you have to lose? It's like a 1 cent lottery ticket... not much chance to win, but if you do, then people 50,000 years in the future will read about you. If you lose, you're out a few minutes of time... so what?
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

yet another scam to get my email address...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

I have a feeling they have taken all of those things into account
Noone can take everything into account.
It might not make it back, and even if it does, it might not be noticed or read. But it's also free and only takes a few minutes to do. What do you have to lose? It's like a 1 cent lottery ticket... not much chance to win, but if you do, then people 50,000 years in the future will read about you. If you lose, you're out a few minutes of time... so what?
Exactly. I did it because I thought it was a nice chance to actually spark my brain, AND it forced me to think- something not many things do now adays.
KevinJB | RevSoft
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

crzyrbl wrote:yet another scam to get my email address...
I thought that too when I first saw it, so I googled 'Keo Scam' and 'Keo Satellite Scam' and didn't find anything on the first few pages. But I did find stuff about the project on CNN, Wikipedia, and Answers.com... so if its a scam, it's a pretty good one.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

No, it's not a scam... and keep in mind that we don't understand languages from 50,000 years ago simply because the records are spotty, if they exist at all. However, now most languages are standardized, and immortalized thanks to global communication and records storage. The chances that people will use the same storage methods and speak the same languages in 50,000 years is small; the chance their scientists will be able to access our storage methods and decipher our languages is large.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

damn dys: you beat me to it
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
CompWiz
Calc King

Re: Send a message to the future!

Post by CompWiz »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Personally, I'm going to get ahold of a GPS and tell them my exact geolocation and time and ask that, if they have invented time travel, that they send me back something ;).
Actually, time travel will (theoretically) only be able to transport something back at the maximum to the time the time travel device was created. Also, If it is possible to send something back in time before that, then you have to take into account the multiple universes theory. If you go back in time, you actually also go into another parallel universe. You cannot affect your own past in any way that you would remember it. You could only affect the past of the you in another universe.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Actually 40,000 year old cave paintings do exist and have been interpereted.

Also, i never really accepted the multiple universe theory as being viable. If it were possible to make another decision at one stage in history, then you would have done it.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Actually, time travel will (theoretically) only be able to transport something back at the maximum to the time the time travel device was created. Also, If it is possible to send something back in time before that, then you have to take into account the multiple universes theory. If you go back in time, you actually also go into another parallel universe. You cannot affect your own past in any way that you would remember it. You could only affect the past of the you in another universe.
Actually, time travel (theoretically) happens all the time at the sub-atomic level. Entire particles go into loops where they constantly return to the exact time they left, leaving again and returning again.
KevinJB | RevSoft
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Well, none of us are quantum physicists... and we're talking 50,000 years in the future. We've only been seriously studying the idea of time travel for, what, 100 years at best? Assuming there's not some sort of nuclear winter, I think it's nieve of us to say what science will and will not be able to do 50,000 years down the line.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Well, none of us are quantum physicists... and we're talking 50,000 years in the future. We've only been seriously studying the idea of time travel for, what, 100 years at best? Assuming there's not some sort of nuclear winter, I think it's nieve of us to say what science will and will not be able to do 50,000 years down the line.
Agreed 100%, which is sort of what I was getting at in my post.
KevinJB | RevSoft
Fr0stbyte124

Post by Fr0stbyte124 »

The Kardaschev scale predicts we would be a Class III civilization by AD 7800, colonizing galaxies.

Also, free-reign time travel is possible with faster than light ships. Time has some strict rules, just like the speed of light does, but they only apply within our universe. If it becomes possible to jump out of our universe into another one and back again, or at least get outside of ours, all sorts of things become possible.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

We can't go the speed of light, we would become infinitely heavy.