Not-So-Triumphant Return and a Question

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Ok, 4 questions:

1. So there's no way to test the sound without sending the program out to the hardware?

2. Also, can someone tell me how many shades are available in greyscale? I'm designing my splash page, and I need to know how many colors I can use.

3. Is beeping the only sound option? I don't suppose it's possible to get anything of a more auditorilly pleasing quality, is it?

4. Is "auditorilly" even a word, and if so, did I spell it right?

By the way, here's Bobbin's sprite (the main character):

The actual game will be smooth scrolling where you stay in the middle and the world around you moves... but you can still get an idea of what it will look like with this picture.
Last edited by L4E_WakaMol-King on Thu 20 Apr, 2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Hmm, this is all a bit on the technical side for me. Does PindurTI simulate sound? If not, what do you recommend testing the sound end of this game on?
Sound support is planned, but there are more important things to develop first. VTI does have some sound emulation, but it's not exactly high quality and quite unstable.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

About 3fgs sound talk: What he did requires an Silver edition calc, its not possible on an 83+. and setting up different interrupts, I meant using different hardware to set and generate interrupts. On the 84 there are at least 5 timers that can do this.

1. So there's no way to test the sound without sending the program out to the hardware?

I've had to use real hardware, I wouldn't trust an emulator with that just yet anyway.

2. Also, can someone tell me how many shades are available in greyscale? I'm designing my splash page, and I need to know how many colors I can use.

From my experience exceeding 8 shades looks bad. However 8 is very difficult to get looking right(considerable amount of tuning involved). 7 is easier and looks better.

3. Is beeping the only sound option? I don't suppose it's possible to get anything of a more auditorilly pleasing quality, is it?

You could do 1 bit audio and have real sound. or if you are willing to block about 50% of the cpu time you might be able to get greater bit widths in audio.

just one thing, I see some grey in there with a moving sprite, I really don't suggest sound being thrown in to.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

@Jim e: I think it's a black and white game.

Welcome back! I'm glad this project is still progressing.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah, he is going to just do b/w check the projects thread.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

L4E: Looks great, I can't wait for this! Ask me for help any time ;)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

I will certainly take you up on that offer when it comes times to work with the music. ;)

Thank for all your answers Jim e :).

The title screen will be greyscale, and I want to have music playing behind it. Is that too much to do all at once?
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Hmm, greyscale and music at the same time... I think it can be done but I'm not sure...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

It would be a lot easier if it was a b/w image + sound.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Grayscale AND sound aye ... that sounds like something Jim e would have a swing at :).

L4E_WakaMol-King: Your Bobbin sprite looks pretty cool and if you can get the jist of this program going it would be so very cool.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Who do I speak to about music?

Can someone give me a name (someone here or elsewhere) that has written some cool music playing programs? I need to get a feel for what I will have to work with before I start transposing the music from the game into calc form.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Jim ... He's the guy to talk to about music.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Jim, if you are reading this, I have a few basic questions. I need to know what I have to work with. What range of pitches do I have? Is it all beeps and boops, or is it possible to get something similar to instruments? Can I do chords, or is it single notes at a time?
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Afaik just beeps and boops, and single notes, though maybe u can do multiple at a time... I don't know for sure.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:Jim, if you are reading this, I have a few basic questions. I need to know what I have to work with. What range of pitches do I have? Is it all beeps and boops, or is it possible to get something similar to instruments? Can I do chords, or is it single notes at a time?
Beeps boops are easy, 3fg should know enuf already. Just doing note and duration is easy. More channels ie playing multiple notes at the same time, isn't much of a strech either. Ben Ryves made quad player(4 channel), and to a certain extent sound effects are possible. But to my knowledge no one seems to really want to put the extra effort in to making it.

Pitch range you can achieve almost any frequency range audible to humans, though losing accuracy at higher pitches.

As far as I know instruments haven't been done, and is highly likely note possible.