Do you prototype code in another language?

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Do you prototype code in another language?

Post by benryves »

I was just curious as to whether people prototype code in another language before rewriting it in assembly, ala Ken Silverman and QuickBasic.

I find it a lot easier to work in a higher level language to try and work out how to do something before implementing it in Z80. I'll start with everything in floating point, then slowly convert down to fixed point until it's all using 16-bit or 8-bit variables. Some things, if I can automatically think of them in a fixed-point style, I'll write in Z80 assembly straight up.

Does anyone else do this?
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Not for Z80 projects, those are simple enough (at least the ones I made so far) to be quite tractable. As for bigger ones, I found that prototyping in a high-level domain specific language can be very helpful. One example was a parse tree postprocessor which transformed trees by certain rules and also required pattern matching. I wrote a prototype in Prolog, then rewrote it in C++ after the algorithm reached its final shape.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I usually don't, but sometimes when I start working on something new, something I have never done before, I prefer to try things out in a language I am most comfortable with at that time, before rewriting it in the desired language. That way I spend less time implementing and more time thinking about the logic behind it, which can be quite beneficial.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I agree with Timendus, though I don't code in z80 Asm I have done something similar to this. When I was in Comp Sci I used to code the assignment in TI-Basic, which would get me thinking of the logic rather than the actual code, then go onto the computer and code it. Sadly it was a Java class, but I was able to do some things in it.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Psuedocode is a valuable tool, code it up in that language, then translate it to whatever.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Never. Sometimes I flowchart, but I don't prototype at all before ASMing it.
Image Image Image
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

That's an interesting question. I'd say all of us rely on some sort of organizational tool if we're working on a particularly tricky algorithm. Higher level languages are quite useful since, often, there are obvious analogues to our assembly. Dry erase boards are actually my preference. :)
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

If it's a "simple" program, then no, I jump straight to low level logic and add comments to supplement the lack of pre-code. For any massive project, however, I write the logic in pseudocode (on paper if I'm at school, in a text editor at home), where it is then broken down to low-level logic (i.e. routines, macros, defines), and finally coded (with comments). This "modularization" method (+comments) eliminates most of the potential logic errors and therefore I don't have to recode it after a month just because "the code is weird" or "I don't know what the * I did" :)
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

I don't, except if i'm making something for calculator which I already made on PC.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I used to do that a bit when i was learning z80, but only on some of the tougher things. It can be really helpful if the algorithm in question is pretty large. Plus if its something that is unproven, it can be a nice way to validate it quicker.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I do things backwards. I code my ideas in Calculator BASIC before doing anything in GBA code. This way, I can see my logic run "as it happens" due to the calcs slowness, and pretty much identify any logic errors in real time. Being able to easily look at variable values is nice too, as you can see them even if the program crashes.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I do what tgf does.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

When I was in Comp Sci I used to code the assignment in TI-Basic, which would get me thinking of the logic rather than the actual code, then go onto the computer and code it. Sadly it was a Java class, but I was able to do some things in it.
Dude! Me too, same situation!
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Rezek wrote:
When I was in Comp Sci I used to code the assignment in TI-Basic, which would get me thinking of the logic rather than the actual code, then go onto the computer and code it. Sadly it was a Java class, but I was able to do some things in it.
Dude! Me too, same situation!
Cool, now I don't feel alone! :D
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I'm still really bad at coding and I find it just hard to convert pseudo code to real code sometimes because I still don't know all the little details of z80 and C syntax :(
Image Image Image