Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

Hmm, I never looked at the complexities of the gaining exp, but the way I always thought it had something to do with:

Equate level of Pokemon vs Enemy Pokemon
Ans / # of Pokemon in Battle = Total EXP to all participants. It always seems to divide up the exp evenly...
http://tifreakware.net - Connecting TI communities
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

It does, but each Pokemon gives a different amount. Chansey is the highest, and Magikarp the lowest, IIRC. Experience is a complicated thing...but nowhere near damage calculations...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Though you could always just use your own adaptation of theirs. One which is less complicated.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

The equation for how much experience gained in a battle from a Pokemon is pretty simple. Here it is:

Code: Select all

If IS_WILD_BATTLE
1.5->bonus
Else
1->bonus
End
If ID_POKEMON!=ID_PLAYER
1.5*bonus->bonus
(base*level*bonus)/7
An alternate formula I found works like this:

Code: Select all

If IS_WILD_BATTLE
1.5->bonus
Else
1->bonus
End
If ID_POKEMON!=ID_PLAYER
.5+bonus->bonus
(base*level*bonus)/7
I'm not 100% sure which formula it is yet...

Experience for RBY isn't that complicated...They're all polynomials of at most degree 3. Experience introduced in RSE+ (one of the few things I took from the gen) has two additional ways that are piecewise functions and particularly complex compared to the originals.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

In that PDF file I link you to, there is a list of 120+ move effects and ~50 item effects I have compiled so far. There are some GSC-styled effects in there, but you should be able to weed those out.
No need for that. I have a nice full list woth a complete description of each move. What I'm describing here is what all will go into the battle system aspect of it. Basically I just have to sit down with a couple hours of time and do it.

I have found rejoycing in the pdf that was sent to me. The stat formulas I needed were there, and that made me very happy indeed. I think (although I'm not sure) that it also has the formulas for how much expirience is gained. It's not to specific as th which formula it's talking about.

I'll try to have my cheap hand-drawn concept designs up here soon. (BTW, how does one post images?) Also I have an interesting note.

I figured out a simple way to include my data in the program. I included in an APP all of the pokemon names, all of the move names, and the PP, Accuracy, and type values (all as 1 byte per value) and the size of my APP at the moment (without any code to handle it or anything) comes out to around 12k. This I believe is almost an entire page. I am definately going to have to look into compression of some sort, as the strings appear to be totally killing my space. Now now of course, but I'll ask about it later.

-thegamefreak0134

[/quote]
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:(BTW, how does one post images?)
[img]url%20for%20image[/img]

if you need free image hosting, http://www.imageshack.us/ is fast and easy.

As for this project, a lot of people at my school were interested in a pokemon game. I gave them the old Basic one, but something like this would be infinitely better. Pokemon always was a nice game, and it would be great to have it for calc. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Just to let you know, the original games were 1MB ROMs. The GSC versions were 2MB. Without animations and sound, it should be a lot smaller though.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

What do you mean "without animations"? I intend to do animations, of course! Now, they won't be awesome or anything, but it gets kind of boring without something to watch, don't ya think?

I'm back again. I am proud to announce that phase 1 of the effect list is complete. I have organised all effect-applicable moves into categories describing what they do. There are 50 categorys in all, ranging from Primary Status effects to increased Critical Hit Ratios. What this means is that I can code these 50 effects, and then use the same effects for multiplpe moves. For example, there are like 20 different moves that cause a primary status effect.

It would be pointless to code the same thing over and over again for different moves (and not very size efficient) so I will make routines that I can call for effects. To differentiate, I will pass the routines values indicating accuracy of effect, effect type, special info, etc. That way, the actual effect data can be relatively small for each move. The only oddities are such effects like haze, transform, substitute, and the like, but I can handle one or two large effects if the expirience is worthwhile.

All I have to do now is go back over the list I made and assign those values. (Right now it's just a bunch of grouped move names.)

My other project for the weekend was that of image gathering. Since I have no access to the internet at home, I played through Pokemon Fire Red version for about 50 hours and managed to collect about 100 of the creatures. My reason in doing this was to collect their "mini pics" from the menu. As such, I have successfully collected pokemon 1-26 and converted their images to 4-shade greyscale. Note that I do intend to make this a greyscale project if at all possible.

I will post those images here in a moment or two once I go sign up for some free hosting.

Good to be back. I still have some stuff that I need, but I'm working on data collection at the moment.

On second thought, it never hurts to ask... OK. How is the critical hit chance calculated? How is the chance of running away from battle calculated if it needs to be? Should I implement the mew-getting glitch or not? (it will be a pain to do if I do)

Just some thoughts...

-thegamefreak0134

*edit* here are those sample pics:

From the top left to the bottom right, they are supposed to be : Bulbasaur, Ivusaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Pikachu, Omanyte, and Machamp. (The last three are just random, obviously.)

Let me know what you think. I converted them to greyscale entirely by hand, because I didn't really trust the filters for much. To see them as is on a calc, I recommend using paint and zooming 2x or 4x to get an idea. Of course, feel free to run them through a greyscale program on the calc too, I don't mind at all.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Those are awesome! Very nice conversion work, i would say those sprites are the perfect size. Grayscale games are the best.

The moves list looks like it will be pretty big, that is a plus for us ... might not be that way for you (from a design perspective) ... but you seem to have everything under control :).

Good stuff :D.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I have more concept images. These are the ones I designed on the calc, so they have no greyscale or anything yet. The first is a menu, and the second is a sample battle screen. (Well, OK, maybe the battle one is greyscale, whats your point?

Battle Screen:

PKMN Menu:

For some reason, the menu is 2x size. Ah well.

-thegamefreak0134

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

They look nice, I really like how this will be in gs.
tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

That looks awesome!! One thing I have to do is get the mini versions of the Pokemon...
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I've got a good chunk of them. If you'd like, I can send you a save of Fire Red with all 150 caught and organized quite nicely in the boxes. That should make things a little easier. So far I have about 100, but I expect it to be finished by the end of the week. The hardest part is deciding which of the 2 frames of animation to use.

-gamefreak

tifreak8x
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by tifreak8x »

What do you mean, send me a saved file? I only have leaf green, and am playing on the sp... Are you using an emulator on the comp?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

awesome project now I can see tifreak8x's falling apart :twisted:

j/k both are nice, as well as mathstuf :mrgreen:
Image Image Image Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)