Pokemon Red and Blue Ports

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

axcho

Post by axcho »

I think that for the people who have already played the game, it would be nice to replace the original secrets with your own secrets.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

There aren't that many super-secrets in the game to begin with. There will be some very interesting extra areas in my game though. :)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

For the record, missingno. has a very real purpose. You can duplicate the sixth item in your pack simply by seeing it.
I have the hex to alot of the original 16x16 sprites used in red and blue, but it is still missing some (Which I am using graphing paper, and a gameboy to get them) You have to have CalcGS to view the files...
I find it easier to use VisualBoy Advance and a combination of screenshots and the ever trusty tile viewer.

That info about leveling up in Red and Blue would be very useful, so please PM it to me with all due speed if possible. That will be a big help as it includes most of the data that I am missing. Fortunately, a lot of the other info I need can be taken directly from a strategy guide I have. Oh, and I do have a copy of the game (2 in fact, with a link cable) so I will be testing everything out to make sure it is accurate.

Thanks a bunch so far. If I can find it, I have an old world map engine in BASIC that I got to run. Suprisingly, it was pretty fast on account of I used an asm sptire prgm to do most of the drawing.

-thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

So that puts it up to 153 pokemon, since red had Missingno (which I always thought was a corrupted sprite of the girl from the Elite 4) and blue had something with no name.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Well, the missingno glitch will be pretty easy to implement. In Red and Blue (and of course in my version) each section of the map had a different set of pokemon applied to it. One set for grass, one for fishing, one for surfing, and one for caves. The catch? For some odd reason, the developers forgot to specify which area belonged to the tile on the right side of islands. (The one thal looks like you're half on water and half on land.) When you encounter pokemon on this tile, it simply uses whatever list was used last, since none is specified. It also appears to have bogus level data for some of the pokemon this way, and I'm not quite sure how that works.

Anyway, to implement the missingno. glitch, I simply have to instrict the game to load the missingno. character into the list when the old man does his thing. Than, those tiles will pull up missingno.

One other thing: Both Missingno. and ####M#### appear in both versions. Missingno is like a regular pokemon, and ####M#### is a true glitch. When you battle ####M#### and catch it, it is at level 0, and upon level up it evolves into a kanghaskan, but retains it's moves. Oddly enough, a second ####M#### remains in battle and you can catch it. Upon catching, it immediately becomes a ditto.

Both versions of the glitch have two common effects. (1) The sixth item in your pack is increased by 128, and (2) Any records you had in the Hall of Fame are completely wiped out and replaced with some wierd fun stuff to look at. (Can you say glitch zilla?)

I think what I'll do for my version is include only the Missingno. version, and the item duplicate trick. Doing the hall of fame thing would more than likely simply crash the calc...

On a lighter subject, I've been doing some concept drawings on the calc. I know what I want the battle system to look like now, and I have a really cool idea for the pokemon list. As I am unable to show all of the data for all six party pokemon at once due to limitations in screen size, I will have the extra info "pop out" when you hover over the pokemon. It will actually work this way, I think. I'll put some drawings/animations up when I get my link back.

Oh, and it's confirmed now. EVs do indeed exist in Red and Blue. They are used to calculate stats, and are responsible for the effectifeness of the "Whirlpool" glitch, which allows you to raise the stats of lv. 100 pkmn. IVs on the other hand do not exist, as they came into existance with the whole breeding thing.

The way this works, on catching (or recieving) a pokemon, it's EVs equal 0. You raise them by your actions in battle or by giving them things like proteins, carbos, and the like. Since all wild pokemon have EV levels of 0, it makes trained pokemon much stronger. It also makes it worthwile to train pokemon from low levels rather than catching their grown up forms. As this is confirmed both by my researchers and by multiple strategy guides, I am going to assume for the moment that they exist.

Do I type too much?

-thegamefreak0134

PS: I have all of the sprites for the pkmn backs, due to a little net researching. Can someone tell me a place where I can find all of the Ruby/Sapphire "mini" sprites found on menus and such? They're the last thing I need creature wise. Thanks!

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Wow you have made quite a plan file and are taking this by storm! I hope for you to finish this and it's great plans so far :D.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Very thorough.

and no, I don't mind reading lots of stuff, especially since every word has been relevant so far.
Image Image Image
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:Well, the missingno glitch will be pretty easy to implement. In Red and Blue (and of course in my version) each section of the map had a different set of pokemon applied to it. One set for grass, one for fishing, one for surfing, and one for caves. The catch? For some odd reason, the developers forgot to specify which area belonged to the tile on the right side of islands. (The one thal looks like you're half on water and half on land.) When you encounter pokemon on this tile, it simply uses whatever list was used last, since none is specified. It also appears to have bogus level data for some of the pokemon this way, and I'm not quite sure how that works.

Anyway, to implement the missingno. glitch, I simply have to instrict the game to load the missingno. character into the list when the old man does his thing. Than, those tiles will pull up missingno.
Here is all the information you ever wanted to know about Missingno.:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy ... ngno_a.txt
thegamefreak0134 wrote: One other thing: Both Missingno. and ####M#### appear in both versions. Missingno is like a regular pokemon, and ####M#### is a true glitch. When you battle ####M#### and catch it, it is at level 0, and upon level up it evolves into a kanghaskan, but retains it's moves. Oddly enough, a second ####M#### remains in battle and you can catch it. Upon catching, it immediately becomes a ditto.

Both versions of the glitch have two common effects. (1) The sixth item in your pack is increased by 128, and (2) Any records you had in the Hall of Fame are completely wiped out and replaced with some wierd fun stuff to look at. (Can you say glitch zilla?)

I think what I'll do for my version is include only the Missingno. version, and the item duplicate trick. Doing the hall of fame thing would more than likely simply crash the calc...

On a lighter subject, I've been doing some concept drawings on the calc. I know what I want the battle system to look like now, and I have a really cool idea for the pokemon list. As I am unable to show all of the data for all six party pokemon at once due to limitations in screen size, I will have the extra info "pop out" when you hover over the pokemon. It will actually work this way, I think. I'll put some drawings/animations up when I get my link back.

Oh, and it's confirmed now. EVs do indeed exist in Red and Blue. They are used to calculate stats, and are responsible for the effectifeness of the "Whirlpool" glitch, which allows you to raise the stats of lv. 100 pkmn. IVs on the other hand do not exist, as they came into existance with the whole breeding thing.

The way this works, on catching (or recieving) a pokemon, it's EVs equal 0. You raise them by your actions in battle or by giving them things like proteins, carbos, and the like. Since all wild pokemon have EV levels of 0, it makes trained pokemon much stronger. It also makes it worthwile to train pokemon from low levels rather than catching their grown up forms. As this is confirmed both by my researchers and by multiple strategy guides, I am going to assume for the moment that they exist.
I'm going to end this confusion now. You are confusing IV, DV, EV, and Stat Experience. Here's what each is:
DV (Stat Genes): A 4 bit number (chosen at random) between 0 and 15. Determines how great the stat can.

Stat Experience: How much experience goes into helping boost a stat. Every time the Pokemon KO's another, its base stats are added to the stat experience for all stats. It's effective until 63002 SE are accumulated. Vitamins help until 25600.

IV (Individual Value): Chosen at random in 3+ gen series to make Pokemon even more unique and harder to max out on stats.

EV (Effort Value): Increases as you put effort towrds improving a single stat (3+ gen only). Makes it harder to max out all stats.

Resources:
http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml
http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy ... rategy.txt
http://www.geocities.com/thelegendarydo ... nesfaq.htm
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _mechanics
thegamefreak0134 wrote: Do I type too much?

-thegamefreak0134

PS: I have all of the sprites for the pkmn backs, due to a little net researching. Can someone tell me a place where I can find all of the Ruby/Sapphire "mini" sprites found on menus and such? They're the last thing I need creature wise. Thanks!
I don't have the ones for RSE, but I do for RBY...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

The first link didn't work.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

They may have some stupid protection on it. Typing it into the address bar should work...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Still wont work.
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

In that case, go here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gamebo ... 07714.html and go to the longer Missingno. file (the one by Okk) and the Strategy Guide closer to the bottom (by RJones) for the other GameFaqs link if that one doesn't work.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Worked and I have known most of that though :D.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

OK, that makes a little more sense, I think. So if you have a pokemon levelkng up by the old trusty "bait and switch" method or by using an EXP share, the stats wont go up by quite as much because they aren't getting any KOs? Or do I have this wrong? Is there a reference with complete info including formulas and stuff on this type of thing?

Once again, thanks for the info. That would also explain how the "whirlpool" effect stays in place. I'll go test these theories later, and test them for accuracy if I ever get the formulas on hand.

You know, I have a lot of faith in these forums now. I posted these same kind of stat requests on other forums and I keps getting things refering me to ruby links (they hadn't red the "Red and Blue" part) or people told me to "google it". You people are truly helpfull. I think I'm actually going to get this thing done now!

For now, I'm focusing a little bit of my time on a world map editor. I'm designing the thing in visual basic, and it should (when finished) allow me to import my own tiles and arrange then in a nice layout onscreen. Then, I'll be able to export that data right into a .txt file in the right format for my program and all. I'm also busy collecting data.

I have a few things more I'd like to add to the needed list. (1) I need the growth rates for pokemon. I have the 4 formulas for calculating level experience needed, but I need to know which pokemon have which growth rates. I've tried searching for this, but I keep getting references to ruby and sapphire, which is not at all what I want.

(2) Battle Effects. I have all of the info for PP, Attack name, Power, Type, and Accuracy for battle moves collected. I also have a nice list that completely describes how each move works. (It's at gamefaq, it's very indepth, and has kind of been my holy grail of pokemon, if you will.) What I need to do is compile a small version list of each move's effect, like with the following properties:

(a) Primary Effect (Sleep, Paralysis, Etc), and accuracy of effect
(b) Secondary effect (confusion, etc.), and accuracy
(c) Multi turn? How many turns? (min and max) (infinite for rage)
(c2) Trapping move?
(d) Multi Move? How many moves? (min and max)
(e) Stat change 1? What Stat? How much? (+ or -)
(f) Stat change 2? What Stat? How much? (+ or -) (for multi-stat moves)
(g) Which pokemon is affected by effect?
(h) Special Effect? Which one? (substitute, hyper beam, disable, etc.)
(i) Healing effect? How strong?
(j) Direct Damage? (Like hyper fang)
(k) Temp. Stat change? (There are some moves that effectively half the opponents damage for the attack's duration)
(l) Fleeing move?
(m) I've got to have missed something, it goes here.

As you can see, each move has the potential to do a lot of stuff. I need to compile a list that starts each effect with a type, as listed above, and then supplies the proper attributes for that move to it. Then I just write function calls that handle the different effect types. It will work well this way, but will take a long while to actually do. Not to mention that stepping through all of that data will take a while if it's not done right. That's really the only info I need to finish compiling a working battle system in BASIC.

Well, that's my news for today. I'm off to go ask questions again.

-thegamefreak0134

MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:OK, that makes a little more sense, I think. So if you have a pokemon levelkng up by the old trusty "bait and switch" method or by using an EXP share, the stats wont go up by quite as much because they aren't getting any KOs? Or do I have this wrong? Is there a reference with complete info including formulas and stuff on this type of thing?
That's what I'd assume... Not to many places go this far into the game.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:Once again, thanks for the info. That would also explain how the "whirlpool" effect stays in place. I'll go test these theories later, and test them for accuracy if I ever get the formulas on hand.

You know, I have a lot of faith in these forums now. I posted these same kind of stat requests on other forums and I keps getting things refering me to ruby links (they hadn't red the "Red and Blue" part) or people told me to "google it". You people are truly helpfull. I think I'm actually going to get this thing done now!
Yet another reason I don'tlike the versions past GSC...
thegamefreak0134 wrote:For now, I'm focusing a little bit of my time on a world map editor. I'm designing the thing in visual basic, and it should (when finished) allow me to import my own tiles and arrange then in a nice layout onscreen. Then, I'll be able to export that data right into a .txt file in the right format for my program and all. I'm also busy collecting data.
Good luck with the tiles... I have ~350 unique tiles so far and I have quite a bit further to go yet... And no one really handles RBY tiles anymore.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:I have a few things more I'd like to add to the needed list. (1) I need the growth rates for pokemon. I have the 4 formulas for calculating level experience needed, but I need to know which pokemon have which growth rates. I've tried searching for this, but I keep getting references to ruby and sapphire, which is not at all what I want.
I have these. I'll PM you with a link to a zip file with my header files...
thegamefreak0134 wrote:(2) Battle Effects. I have all of the info for PP, Attack name, Power, Type, and Accuracy for battle moves collected. I also have a nice list that completely describes how each move works. (It's at gamefaq, it's very indepth, and has kind of been my holy grail of pokemon, if you will.) What I need to do is compile a small version list of each move's effect, like with the following properties:

(a) Primary Effect (Sleep, Paralysis, Etc), and accuracy of effect
(b) Secondary effect (confusion, etc.), and accuracy
(c) Multi turn? How many turns? (min and max) (infinite for rage)
(c2) Trapping move?
(d) Multi Move? How many moves? (min and max)
(e) Stat change 1? What Stat? How much? (+ or -)
(f) Stat change 2? What Stat? How much? (+ or -) (for multi-stat moves)
(g) Which pokemon is affected by effect?
(h) Special Effect? Which one? (substitute, hyper beam, disable, etc.)
(i) Healing effect? How strong?
(j) Direct Damage? (Like hyper fang)
(k) Temp. Stat change? (There are some moves that effectively half the opponents damage for the attack's duration)
(l) Fleeing move?
(m) I've got to have missed something, it goes here.
In that PDF file I link you to, there is a list of 120+ move effects and ~50 item effects I have compiled so far. There are some GSC-styled effects in there, but you should be able to weed those out.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:As you can see, each move has the potential to do a lot of stuff. I need to compile a list that starts each effect with a type, as listed above, and then supplies the proper attributes for that move to it. Then I just write function calls that handle the different effect types. It will work well this way, but will take a long while to actually do. Not to mention that stepping through all of that data will take a while if it's not done right. That's really the only info I need to finish compiling a working battle system in BASIC.
My battle system has yet to be started. And that's not to mention the AI system.
thegamefreak0134 wrote:Well, that's my news for today. I'm off to go ask questions again.

-thegamefreak0134
I have lots of information. I've done a lot of research on all this stuff. If you need any more, I can probably offer it.