Beauty and Splendor

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

axcho

Beauty and Splendor

Post by axcho »

Is this not the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?

I have finalized my 6x8 Super Mario sprites. Now I bask in their glorious elegance. Further suggestions are welcome however.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

They look really nice, but why 6x8 and not 8x8?
axcho

Post by axcho »

I don't remember exactly why I originally decided to make them 6x8, but I think that the proportions are better that way. Also, more sprites will fit on the screen.

I want to make a ducking Mario that is 6x6, but it is pretty hard to fit all that detail into only 36 pixels.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

What happens when he gets a mushroom? Will he get bigger?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

tr1p1ea wrote:What happens when he gets a mushroom? Will he get bigger?
Fatter! :p, also is it 8x6 (8 down 6 wide)?
axcho

Post by axcho »

I'm actually not making a normal Mario game, with the mushrooms and all. I'm making a game where two players fight against each other as Mario. The mechanics are more like those of Super Mario 64 than the original games, except it is in 2D.

What I am thinking of is a game where each player has a power meter split into eighths like in the 64 version, and Goombas turn into coins when squashed, which can be collected to replenish a slice of health. Koopas would give their shells to ride, or possibly to pick up and throw, and Paratroopas would give winged shells instead of turning into normal Koopas. The winged shells would be like the ostrich of Joust.

There might be single player battles against the AI, with unlockable backgrounds. I don't know if I will do scrolling backgrounds. Most likely the whole level or arena would fit on one screen, with 6x6 tiles. It would be kind of cool to have stars like in Super Mario 64, but we'll see. If you have any ideas about how to do that, please share them with me.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

well, being one who works best improving others work, I added a ducking one (not too hard actually) and upgraded a few of the other sprites, see what you think.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Those do look nice though, and axcho I forgot you would be programing it is asm :oops: .
axcho

Post by axcho »

Thanks thecheat, though I will probably stick to the original sprites. I will probably use your ducking Mario or a variation on it.

(reasons why I like mine better: the koopa shells look more round and shiny, especially at a distance, and the goombas look more like angry mushrooms and less like smiling frogs)
axcho

Post by axcho »

So I've been drawing 6x6 blocks for the Mario game. I think it would be nice to have 16 different tiles, including black and white background tiles. That leaves me with two spots left. What two other blocks should I add?

[EDIT]
Also, should I add Bob-ombs as enemies that you can throw? Should you be able to pick up and throw shells or even each other?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

axcho wrote:[EDIT]
Also, should I add Bob-ombs as enemies that you can throw? Should you be able to pick up and throw shells or even each other?
I think so, the top of the blocks (the ones with little circles with a dot in the middle).
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Are they by any chance 6 wide because you are using the alternate LCD setting?
axcho

Post by axcho »

I am planning on using the alternate LCD setting to easily display the 6xn sprites. I don't know if that is the reason for the unusual dimensions, but it certainly is a factor. Also, the small tile size allows me to fit 16x10 tiles in one screen, with a row of four pixels left over. I think I will put health bars at the top in that extra space. Do you think that health bars would be acceptable instead of a circular power meter?
I think so, the top of the blocks (the ones with little circles with a dot in the middle).
I can't figure out what you are trying to say here. Could you explain your statement further?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I find the bar a better indicator of health than the circlular power meter :).
axcho

Post by axcho »

Okay, I'll use a health bar.

I just thought of a good idea for the ? blocks. When you hit one, a new random enemy is spawned. I could make it so there are three types of ? blocks: one for each type of enemy. But I think I'd rather add two different blocks. So what else is there to add? I need your block suggestions!