should i go into pixel art?

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

lecks
Extreme Poster

should i go into pixel art?

Post by lecks »

i got bored so i decided to see if im good enough for pixel art.. so i took an hour off my life and drew these pixels... they all came from my head and i was looking at nothing when i was making these with paint:
one is a black knight with gold trims... and the other is a wizard that reminds me of a show i used to like. hehe look for a subliminal message...

im thinking if these are good ill go ahead and look at the pixel lessons but i thought i might draw from skill without lessons first.

ive never tried drawing on the computer but i draw with graphite/charcoal/paint pretty well.

it took me 1 hour and 6 minutes :roll:
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I like the them. The wizard has really cool shading that shows the drapery.
Image Image Image
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

I like the knight; he looks really detailed. However, I can't tell where his arms are.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

That wizard is flicking me off! Is that what you meant by "subliminal message"?
just try to be nice to people.

Post by DarkAuron »

When showing pixel art, try for .gif because jpg is very lossy and it's extremely noticeable when it comes to pixel art. I like the knight, although at first I didn't notice he was missing arms (you can't really tell). The wizard I'd rather see in a more raw format because the jpg format is blurring him, but a suggestion I can make is either add a third color for the knight or try and exaggerate lines to give him noticeable arms.
Last edited by DarkAuron on Tue 27 Dec, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah they look nice, I like the knight better but the wiz is flipping me off!
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

DarkAuron wrote:When showing pixel art, try for .gif because jpg is very lossy and it's extremely noticeable when it comes to pixel art. I like the knight, although at first I didn't notice he was missing arms (you can't really tell). The wizard I'd rather see in a more raw format because the jpg format is blurring him, but a suggestion I can make is either add a third color for the knight or try and exaggerate lines to give him noticeable arms.
thanks.. yea his arms are resting on the sword i had a hard time on that so i left it alone. his arms are there though, just hard. maybe i shuold redo it with a 3rd color. yes ill fix them into .gif's and add a third color to the knight. thanks.

EDIT turned out i saved it as a bitmap but the image host made it a jpeg. im gonna find another host cause if i make it a gif then itll do the same thing.
Last edited by lecks on Tue 27 Dec, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

DarkAuron wrote:When showing pixel art, try for .gif because jpg is very lossy and it's extremely noticeable when it comes to pixel art. I like the knight, although at first I didn't notice he was missing arms (you can't really tell). The wizard I'd rather see in a more raw format because the jpg format is blurring him, but a suggestion I can make is either add a third color for the knight or try and exaggerate lines to give him noticeable arms.
jpeg doesn't even allow for transparency. :D :D :D
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

lecks wrote:
thanks.. yea his arms are resting on the sword i had a hard time on that so i left it alone. his arms are there though, just hard. maybe i shuold redo it with a 3rd color. yes ill fix them into .gif's and add a third color to the knight. thanks.

EDIT turned out i saved it as a bitmap but the image host made it a jpeg. im gonna find another host cause if i make it a gif then itll do the same thing.
imageshack.us
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

okay.. Image
i saved it as a gif and it sorta mesed up the colors by breaking down its components and putting them side by side... but now you should be able to see the hands.
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

PNG :lol:

This is going to turn into an image format war?
just try to be nice to people.

Post by lecks »

can somebody list the advantages of:

1. BITMAP
2. JPEG
3. GIF
4. TIFF
5. PNG

... i know they each have an advantage or else they wouldnt exist
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

BMP - Raw format, completely lossless, comes in several different formats (24bit, 256 color, 16 color, monochrome); but since it's raw it's very large.

JPEG - High compression even at high colors, best used with real-life photos as opposed to cartoonish low-color images; often lossy but less noticeable with more detailed pictures.

GIF - Highly compressible, supports transparency and is most often used for clipart and animations; limited to 256 colors.

TIFF - I don't know what tiff is...

PNG - Like a cross between JPG and GIF that also supports transparency; often has different issues among web browsers and thus is looked down upon by internet perfectionists :roll:

GIF and JPG are the most used image formats on the internet.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

wat would u recommend as best image hoster then? imageshack?