Need Sprites for a new kind of shoot them up

A place for graphics

Moderator: DarkAuron

kuda

Need Sprites for a new kind of shoot them up

Post by kuda »

I'm trying to make a starwars based shoot them up, but with backside view... I don't really know how to express it in english so a screenshot will be the best...
http://fastrpl.info/membres/kuda/starwars/starwars.gif

So you see, I really need your help for sprites...
I'd like to have a Xwing (instead of the hugly top seen plane) seen by behind and a bit top ( a bit like this if you don't see what I mean
http://fastrpl.info/membres/kuda/starwars/image1.jpg

The sprite shoud be 16*12 or 24*16, and declined in 9 version, (or only 5 as diagonals are not really required) to show when you turn left right up or down)

That is the most important by now, but for some mission I'll the millenium
at the same size , and in 9 or 5 version...

But only stars isn't really nice, I'll also needsome other element in the landscape ( galaxie, closer/bigger star, plannet with ring, motherships) and other enemies...

So every starwars style contribution will be welcome...
Thhank you all, I hope to make a good game thanks to you !

Kuda ( This is a fastRPL game of course :p )
+---------------------------+
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sorry to start offtopic, but is fastrpl ported to 83+/84+?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

MAN! I gotta learn fast rpl. You could ask Ben about Firetrack for background sprites, those were pretty good.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Yup, fastRPL is quite impressive. Good luckwith this.
Image Image Image
kuda

Post by kuda »

No need to port to 83+/84+ IT is made for 83+ 84+...
I like firetracks background, but I don't think they'll fit my game...
I need starwars style, and face viewed ( exepted the Xwing and the millenimum that will be backviewed...) I really hope somenone could help me cause I'm a really bad graphist, but I think this game may be great when finished...

kuda
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

kuda wrote:No need to port to 83+/84+ IT is made for 83+ 84+...
Sorry I was thinking of something else, but other than than is there a chance that your site will be translated fully to English? I am having some trouble with googleing translation as they aren't coming out correct :D.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

how big do you want the sprite, I'd like to try, but be warned, I only make off and on when I have time...and remember... :P

so, is this going to be like the second picture? I've played an older game like that (where you can't really control the ship, just the cross hairs (starwars for the 98/95 I think)) anyways, if that's so, this would be a pretty cool game, you would just have to make a course that the plane goes though, looking 3D, and it just repeats with the exploded objects still, well, exploded when the second/third/ect pass comes. you get what I mean?

EDIT: if you don't get it, I'm making a little gif so you could understand, if you did make this it would be a new concept, which, has never been tried before that I know of, making a truely original game. just hang on for a few minutes, I've got to finish making it.
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

ok, I made the GIF, sorry I don't have a better prog than unFREEz, but, I don't know of a better free one for the moment. HERE IT IS:

oh, great, it's going super speed, wish my TI went that fast.... anyways, back to the thing, basicly you're on a level, (asteroid belt in this case) the map is about 10 pixels larger than the TI screen on every side. When the reticles get near the edge the screen starts to slide in that direction on the map, this is used to dodge the obsitcles saving your ship from harm. You CAN blast the asteroids, and using some special collision detection you could make it so the larger ones must be hit so many times and the smaller so many times. The thing would be set up so that asteroids are randomly coming at your screen while a squadron (let's say eight) "AI ties are in the background which you must destroy and come at you (one at a time) so, as they slip BEHIND the asteroids on some path that may be compy generated or pre-programed, you can't finish the level until they're all gone. Just to make it EVEN harder the asteroids come more densly as you get towards the end. This would have your "buddies" scrolling messages across your screen after each TIE.

All the levels would be different, some you must just make so many points, and some you've got to navigate a course, while some levels you have an overhead view and some an inside.

Do you think it sounds good?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

That looks really cool and supper fast :P.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Looks great! Why does it seem like the gun doesn't fire straight?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

kalan_vod wrote:That looks really cool and supper fast :P.
Supper fast? :mrgreen:
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

thecheat: That looks great, an X-Wing type game for calc would rule! :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kuda

Post by kuda »

Thank-you Thecheat, I planed to make the Xwing seen from outside, but inside seems really good too!!for the idea about the course etc, it'll be hard, cause I don't have strching routine, and calcuating many appearring position will be very slow... that's why I prefeer leting them at a constant distance, wich let me set up to 20 enemys at the same time...

I'll try to use your sprite, and the dashboard may be used to show up a the shield-level and maybe a radar radar...

The idea of the game is to remake scenario of Starwars IV, V, VI , only space battles, with text explanation between mission...3 mission by episode maybe, for exemple, beginning by
IV-
*Escape from the snow planet ( I remeber the landscape but not it's name...)
*Attack of the death star ( or the dark star...)

Anyway, I should rewath the film to make a good scenario remake... :p

But i don't really now how to make people loose... I mean, in 2D, it's easy to show coming missiles, and to let the player avoit them... In pseudo 3D, it'll be really hard... SO 2 idea : A time limit, or, if you stay too much time facing and annemy, it locks you, and you must move fast to avoid its laserbeam, of course speed of locking and shooting will change with levels and enemys...
|__THANK _YOU FOR__|
|__USING FAST RPL___|
|_____________Done |
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

what I was thinking was that your screen has a rectangle, say 50x40 or something like that, this is the "strike zone"

you have a MAP that is... (as I keep forgeting the size of screen) 116x84 (10 extra pixels on each side, or perhaps eight, whatever is easier)

the sprites apear somewhere on the screen and you create some type of coding that allows the sprite to shift form (as it grows closer) not hurting you if it's located outside the strike zone, AND it can only hurt you in the LAST stage of the sprite, in this case when the asteroid is really large

the shooting sprites ONLY hurts the object that are touched in by the inside of the reticles, which keeps the thing from destroying asteroids every step of the way. in my rush to complete I forgot it would have four bolts/ bolts in opposing corners coming, but, the point is still made, now, to make the bolts look like the xwing is actually SHOOTING the thing instead of the same bolts in the same place, every time, even when the reticles are in the corner, the map would be a TILE map. *gasp* when the reticles are in a certain sector the first part of the sprite may be the same, but the second would be offset and slanted differently, in a corner the first two would be different and offset, you get what I'm saying?

I wish I had gone further in coding, when I try to think this stuff up I feel like i'm in "coding limbo" I have this faint image what the code would do but every time I try to set it down it eludes me... :x oh well, I'll try to work one a more advanced GIF showing better steps (and slower!) so it would be easier for you to understand/ help the pieces fit better, hope KUDA doesn't mind me throwing such nevercoded ideas out... but, I bet if this was made right this may reach the top 10 games/most downloaded.

PS: I'm going to google the game I'm err... using... if I could find it it might help you understand the concept of what I'm trying to do as it's the original. let's just say it's probably the first starwars game with digital photagraphy that lucas arts made.

EDIT: made some stuff-

first on the list is a new reticle here's the quad reticle

I made the reticles different for the different modes, so, they CYCLE with each shot, which, makes it a LOT cooler, if it's not too complicated, what happens is for the next one (double) the two shots come in from the corners, then the next shots come in from the adjacent corners and so on. it doesn't look too good with the double unless you have the lazers actually going, but.... Also, the quad would be made so it shoots 4x slower than the single, and the double 2x slower than single, but, they're that many times as strong, which, could prove to be interesting.... (you could have barron fel (top tie pilot) fight against you, and each time you fight him you're only able to disable until the end when he brings his whole elite squadron against you... this is sounding good!

and the single

also, I made a "strike zone" and shifted the (old) reticle over to show what it would look like when the lazers are pointing to another spot... ok nevermind, imageshack clogged up, oh well. I'm still looking for the name of the game...
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

ice planet= Hoth?

i'm making a star wars game...but it's a zelda-like rpg-more like a wannabe KOTOR (I just bought KOTOR II used at Blockbuster)...