C++ basic compiler

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

The most important difference is the number of registers in the 68k which makes it suitable for high-level languages. Also, it shows some orthogonality, as opposed to the z80.
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: C++ basic compiler

Post by Gambit »

FaveRave09 wrote:Can anyone help me out on finding the file format or the codes for basic commands?
The file format (including checksums, etc) is fully explained here.
tr1p1ea wrote:The C compilers which are targetted at the 68k processors have been in dev for a while and are quite decent. They code produced is STILL bloatware when compared to hand-coded ASM.

There are a few C compilers targetted at z80 but they are not very decent as far as calc dev is concerned.
Indeed, but here is one and another in case someone is interested.
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yeah i have both of those, used them a while ago. Still bloatware. They would still be handy for some cases, especially where speed and size is not problem for you :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

tr1p1ea wrote:Yeah i have both of those, used them a while ago. Still bloatware. They would still be handy for some cases, especially where speed and size is not problem for you :).
sounds like basic :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

tr1p1ea wrote:Yeah i have both of those, used them a while ago. Still bloatware. They would still be handy for some cases, especially where speed and size is not problem for you :).
would a prgm coded in C be still faster than BASIC and smaller?even though not as fast as ASM
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I dont think they will end up being smaller, but faster is a remote possibility.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

So, basically, it's generally not a good idea to use c on z80 calcs. right?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Right. You could possibly disassamble the compiled C and then optimize it, but then again, somethings would not disassemble correctly (.db and .dw type things).
DarkerLine
Calc Wizard

Post by DarkerLine »

If you horribly misuse C, never use local variables, etc. you may be able to get decent z80 code out of it.
just try to be nice to people.

Post by FaveRave09 »

Dude, only one person caught on to what I'm really doing :x .And yes, you can do it all with graphlink, but if you're poor like I am and only have the VTI, or you bought the gray link cable, that's why it's useful.
Welcome to Jamdung, poor people are dead at random, political violence caan done.
-Damian Marley
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Me, Gambit, and blueskies all addressed the correct problem.
FaveRave09

Post by FaveRave09 »

Yeah, you did, sorry :cry: . I'm probably being really rude. However, a lot of people did not know.
Welcome to Jamdung, poor people are dead at random, political violence caan done.
-Damian Marley
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

FaveRave09: I am certain that we all know what you are doing. Were are just discussing C cross compilers in the meantime. Apologies for going off topic.

Do you have any more information you could tell us about your project?
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I'm sry for getting off topic and not initially understanding what you were trying to do. :cry:
Image Image Image
FaveRave09

Post by FaveRave09 »

Sorry, I was just afraid that everyone would take the topic as C compilers as you were, and I wouldn't get any advice.
Anyway, I found a simple C++ program that can find the decimal values of a text file (.txt), before it is interpreted in a text program. What I want this program to do is to take BASIC command words that you put in a text file, and turn it into the previously mentioned decimal numbers and store it to another text file, producing a .8XP file. Hopefully, I can also easily build another prgram that turns a .8XP file into a .txt file.
It's pretty slow work, because in order to find those decimal values, I have to look back and forth between the calculator and the text file :x . However, I have found the ":" code, so that makes it a lot easier. Now it's just going to take a lot of time and patience to find the other ones. I have looked at most the files at ticalc.org, and those really helped with the file info other than the BASIC commands.
If anyone can help me find the BASIC codes, I would be so grateful. Anything at all. Like, for instance, I found that lowercase letters take up two bytes, and I found the lowercase codes from that. If you have any other questions, just ask.
-Damian Marley