Advanced Tactics

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

Advanced Tactics

Post by currahee »

Hmm so it seems i've been sitting on my ass lately, and then for some reason i've been inspiried to make a game! finally! As for past announces I guess I wasn't too motivated enough, but since my elder cousin has borrowed my AW catridge I guess i'll keep busy and make it for the calculator.
As for the name, I don't like people benchmarking games truthfully. If I call it Advance Wars and it doesn't turn out to be the AW you hoped for... face it- it's gonna suck. So Advanced Tactics :D

I will use xLib, in fact if I don't, you will witness the true horror of how slow 15MHz BASIC can be when it comes to drawing and moving sprites up to 48x48 large :shock:

Umm, since I have an 84+ it will be hard to stop and not go over the 83+ memory limit. But I promise I won't leave out the first calculator I ever got. It might have castrated battle scenes though, as I intend to make most of all the hacked pics. Definitely will eat up a crapload of archive space. I dont think the TI-83+ flash can even hold all 255 pics. Or if it could, would be left with a very little amount of Flash memory.

Right now i'm in the process of gathering and coverting sprites to our lovely 1-bit color. A real obstacle right now is that I can't really start because TI-Connect... well when I try and something it looks like it's sending but then Windows says or TI-Connect says "Nuh uh! You ain't sending that file!" I managed to get xLib on my calc but I don't have my PIC255 proggie and Kevtiva's ZPIC on it.

As for campaign, count on for a light campaign mode. Maybe like 12 missions. Or 14. Or 50. Or 100. And as for just optional maps, I think I will include at least 9 playable maps with AI. I will also make it so that there are preset AI modes you can choose from. 1) n00bish, 2) Defensive (I'll make it so that it makes your head spin. Don't even count on walking towards outside artillery range and then marching in without loosing units here and there), 3) Tactical.

As for the units side, i'm going to concentrate on all land units plus helis only.

Multiplayer? Nah, I cant even link two calcs of my own since their cords are all damaged.
Map editor? Nah, who needs map editors?

Oh and with Chrono Trigger, I gave up. I really forgot what Tom DuPont used to convert overhead maps. I know he didnt draw them himself, as I applied to be one of them map converters (of course it got nowhere).
Last edited by currahee on Wed 23 Nov, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

ummm....

hate to burst your bubble, but isn't that what Calc Wars is? Patori was working on it.
Image Image Image
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Yeah, I've known that since I was with him in Drubu Productions

And here we have some unit models...

About the crappy MdTank Model: It had to be minimized. Or else it would have taken up a massive amount of calc real estate.

Due to the sheer size of the sprites (I like them detailed dammit!) battles being shown will probably consist of 5 units attacking and recieveing damage. Attacking units will be on a seperate frame while defending will be on another frame for size. So it might look something like this for example:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
CompWiz
Calc King

Re: Advanced Tactics

Post by CompWiz »

currahee wrote: I dont think the TI-83+ flash can even hold all 255 pics. Or if it could, would be left with a very little amount of Flash memory.
Isn't there some program that lets you store hundreds of pics on the calc? I can't remember the name though.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Nope, you're right, it can't. 255 pics takes up 196k. But I can't see why youy would need close to that many pics, even for a complete clone of Advance Wars. 100, perhaps. A lot of pics definitely.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Those look really nice, but don't worry you will have enough space on the calc :P.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I dont think you will need anything close to 100 PIC's unless you are doing something drastically wrong. Those sprites look really good ... Maybe the advent of this will get patori moving along with the ASM version :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Patrick Prendergast's plan file wrote::tr1p1ea: - 19/11/2005
-------------------------------------

I decided to add some stuff to xLIB and it got a little out of hand . I added:

- Support for up to 255 PIC's (creating/reading)
- Functions can read PIC data even if it is ARCHIVED
- The ability to run BASIC and TIOS-ASM programs from the ARCHIVE
- A function to tell you what calc version you are using(83+, 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE)
- A DrawShape function which can draw lines, rectangles and filled rectangles

I also fixed a few bugs and possible exploits. Expect a release soon .
it says that it supports 255 pics. Also, isn't there some kind of compression you can use?

And why would you need so many anyway?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

...realtime picture decompression would slow things down alot...
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

necro wrote:...realtime picture decompression would slow things down alot...
RLE is not at all slow (even if it is a rubbish algorithm) ;)
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

It would involve moving completely away from the hacked TI-OS pic files however... As for rendering speed, xLib should allow this (if used properly) to achieve near-asm speeds. This is a turn-based game, after all.
Currahee, maybe we can chat on IM, since I've been working on a turn-based strategy game somewhat similar to advance wars for some time now, using xLib.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
dragon__lance

Post by dragon__lance »

oh this looks awesome :) i worked on a project like this trying to copy advance wars, but i my ram got reset so i dumped it. i still have some pics left over, so if u would like them...
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

tr1p1ea wrote:I dont think you will need anything close to 100 PIC's unless you are doing something drastically wrong. Those sprites look really good ... Maybe the advent of this will get patori moving along with the ASM version :).
Hopefully :)

it says that it supports 255 pics. Also, isn't there some kind of compression you can use?

And why would you need so many anyway?
Hha yeah maybe i'll be doing something insane. But I know I will have to redo the sprites sheet to accomodate all different types of overhead units from 5 different armies. As you can see the battle sprites, They're huge. They WILL take up a huge amount of pic space with only like 1-3 sprites.

@Dysfunction: Sure, let's use email though. Since i'm in the Republic of Korea, nearly 6000+ Miles away from my home in the midwest US, i'm across the international date line. It would really help a lot, since I might have to brush up somewhat little for xLib

@tr1p: Yes, I am very pleased as well that the sprites did turn out well.

Oh and another change: I'm just gonna use that bigass MdTank model. For all vehicles I will use only 1 of them for battle scenes since they're well.. big. Infantry 5.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

Awesome sprites! Yeah, Advance Wars was a great game.
cheese=yum
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

was?!? :puzzled: advance wars DS came out and its even better than the first two :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.