Quest Quest: A Graphic Adventure (new download available!)

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Should i use Grayscale?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 20

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sturdy :D. Your scripts are funny and well thought out. I think putting something thats related to calcs would be funny.....or kerm martins plans for gcn :wink:
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by L4E_WakaMol-King »

Genius! I can put a TI83+ in the ancient human museum ;).

LOOK AT sign: "A primitive human game machine, also believed to have some mathmatical capabilities."
LOOK AT TI83+: "What an ancient piece of scrap." ;)
Image - Now Under Development - [Progress]
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

So have you had much thought on story line?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:LOOK AT sign: "A primitive human game machine, also believed to have some mathmatical capabilities."
LOOK AT TI83+: "What an ancient piece of scrap." ;)
Scrap? Try crap :). J/K.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

calcul831415 wrote:So have you had much thought on story line?
Yes.
L4E_WakaMol-King wrote:I think I've decided on a basic plot for my game. Rather than come up with something unique and original, I've decided to make use of everything that's already been used. :)

The game will be called something along the lines of 'Quest Quest.' You are a boy on a quest to find a quest. Somehow or other, you end up in a fantasy world that is made up of different regions, each containing some cliche adventure game elements. For example, there would be a pirate world (Monkey Island series), a medieval world (King's Quest series), a space world (Space Quest series), etc. Each world will exhibit the normal cliche things for that particular setting. There could even be a vilain world, where all the vilains meet and plot world destruction. ;) Think of something like Kingdom Hearts, only with classic adventure games instead of Disney movies.

The game will be semi-linear in plot... if that makes any sense. You will start off in one world, and will gain access to the other worlds as you go. But you will be able to (indeed you will have to) go back to past worlds to get items or solve puzzles.
I'd had a few other smaller inspirations for specific character in each world, and a couple of repeated themes since then too. :)
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Here's a look at the prison cell map. This is where the scene a few posts up takes place.

My next goal is to make a full working version of the prison puzzle. I'm currently working on the text and dialogue engine. :)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I like your graphics for the cell, this will be a great game.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

This post is just to let everyone know that this project is still alive and well. Right now I'm working on the internal workings of the program, so I can't really show you much progress in terms of screenshots. But the source code has increased substantially since my last post, and I think I've got most of the hard problems worked out.

Like I said, my next goal is to produce a playable version of the prison puzzle. That means finishing the game engine totally... so it will be a bit of work. I'm still taking plot suggestions, if anyone has one.

By the way, what do you recommend for making animated screenshots?
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

For animated screenshots, use PindurTI. It is the best calc emulator around, and makes great screenshots.

Its great that this game is progressing so well. Keep up the good work! :D
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

CompWiz wrote:For animated screenshots, use PindurTI. It is the best calc emulator around, and makes great screenshots.

Its great that this game is progressing so well. Keep up the good work! :D
isn't PindurTi still imcomplete?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Yes, but it works EXTREMELY well once you figure out the button layout.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

threefingeredguy wrote:Yes, but it works EXTREMELY well once you figure out the button layout.
is it safe to use on windows 98?
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

If it works, it wont hurt it. I don't even think it needs an install, its just the exe and the sending utility.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

It should work even on Win 95 (it did earlier, and I haven't used any system feature that would break it), and also with a fresh wine under Linux.
L4E_WakaMol-King
Maxcoderz Staff

Ok, here's a quick little animated screenshot to give you a taste of what's to come.

Today and yesterday I was working on support for the external data file (I'm sure you noticed my posts in the Programming Help forum :P).

The external file now works. Major kudos to Jim e for his help, and also to everyone else who provided helpful input. That's the file that will store all (or most of) the text. You should see the source code... vector tables linked to vector tables. It's a pain to program, but well worth it. The cool thing is that both the main program and the data file can be archived while playing, and if you run the data program as a normal ASM program [using 'Asm(prgmZQQDATA'], you will get a nifty little easter egg. Haven't decided what the egg will be yet... maybe a preview for my next project or something. Remember I said that, because it won't be in the readme file. ;)

Anyway, after I got the external file working, I implemented the LOOK AT command, which is illustrated in the screenshot. Next I'll be doing the other 4 commands: TALK TO, PICK UP, PUSH, and USE / WITH.