24%
No, leave it in peace
6%

Total votes: 17

currahee
Calc Wizard

Tom DuPont's unfinished legacy: Chrono Trigger

Post by currahee »

Well today here at 1:33AM I was thinking, "Hey, I wonder if I still have that Chrono Trigger demo Tom made a long time ago".
THen I hastily remembered MSN being a bitch deleted my account because it was inactive (I still dont get it, whats the point of reusing it if you just deleted everything? Bastards).
Then I was searching for 10 mins on google and just ended up with that shitty Chrono Trigger file on ticalc.org
But then I went to my Yahoo breifcase archives... and I saw a file called CTB3.zip!!!! :D I was a beta tester for Chrono Trigger and the last beta was Beta 4 or something. So it had to be it.. and sure enough it was! or at least the previous one. Beta 4 seems to be long gone and it had three chapters I believe. Still 8) I guess I gotta love Yahoo more than MSN. I havent used that account since like 3 years yet it's still there :) thanks Yahoo, you're more reliable :D
I dont know if we can contact Tom anymore but would you guys be interested in seeing this thing finished?
http://currahee.fh-net.com/CTB3.zip <= If you want to play what Tom had so far. I think he went pretty far just a few stages left. (I believe it goes up to the future after Lavos)

Those of you who don't know who Tom DuPont is, he was an original member of Alienhead productions. Alienhead also had Hitoshi (and a few , Colby Anger (The one who made Parasite Eve: Mercenary and he had another project goin which was a futuristic space shooter but that's gone I believe. I only know three of them but i'm sure there were more). Alienhead and Maxcoderz merged later on (in 2002? 2003?). During his period in Alienware he was working on Chrono Trigger and well I played Beta 3 (The one shown here) and loved it so I asked him if I could be a beta tester :D and so I was. CTB4 was supposed to be the 'final' CT version or something. My mind is a bit foggy if CTB4 was the final version or not. But it did have three chapters in it which only assumes that it was supposed to be completed after B4 and the amount of work should have been small. After the merger with Maxcoderz I believe he left soon after.

EDIT: More researching and I believe it's possible. Chrono Trigger used ListPic I believe or some other program. If he did use some other program, well... there is that little proggie I made that stores up to 255 h4xed pics :D
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

It was in basic, wasn't it? Can you post some screenshots displaying the action?
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

man, that was one of the first games I played on teh calc. the days of alienhead seem SO long ago.. remember NJ and his freakin' ninja avatar?

why do I remember all this?? *goes outside immediately*
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

lol kv I still see you have a hatred for polls :wink: Yeah those were the good times wasn't it? What happened to NJ anyway? Iambian and I kept going on about our post count and he'd dismiss them as inflated :D
I guess i'll get to work on it. Chances are though it might not be based on his engine since there are so many new programs that can do better things (like xLib for example :D ) which in that case it won't be solely based on his Chrono trigger. But I feel I should finish his work before setting my own :) plus it gives me a good reason to revisit CT (SNES)
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

This is gonna be part of the MaxCoderz 10 Year In Existence And 10 More For World Domination Quiz:

- Which staffmember applied to Alienhead first but got rejected and went on to join MaxCoderz.

- Who then had the plan to merge with Alienhead and slowly let them dissapear within the trenches of the Ti-community!!!

One name please.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Hitoshi
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

It's not hitoshi....
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

Those screen's look awesome!
Kinda look like an RPG i used to want ot make in BASIC. But rite now i want to make a tactics RPG in ASM.

(I'm still 2 dumb to make an ASM program that has all the Geometry Theorems, Postulates, and Definitions organized in one spot.)
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

until the recently developed lern asm in 28 days, I really was puzzled how people programmed in ASM if there were only a bunch of 83 asm tutorials.
Anyway this thing is in basic so... :wink:
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

man, I had thought of remaking that game... oh well, if you're gonna contiune, good luck. I had tons of fun with that game
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

After i'm done wanna work on another CT then? :D The reason why i'm doing this is because I love the game and well.. Tom's hard work :) I reread the readme and it's not that the game was entirely done.. it has halfway on Beta 4. But this was before Duck's grayscale, xLib, and Omnicalc so it's a bit outdated on it's capability.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Kozak wrote:This is gonna be part of the MaxCoderz 10 Year In Existence And 10 More For World Domination Quiz:

- Which staffmember applied to Alienhead first but got rejected and went on to join MaxCoderz.

- Who then had the plan to merge with Alienhead and slowly let them dissapear within the trenches of the Ti-community!!!

One name please.
The name is ....... Kozak. Bad Bad Kozak.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Well without the merge Alienhead would have dissolved anyway, so merging in part is one way that saved Alienhead (Still have Hitoshi here) and plus if there was no merger, I would have never known about Maxcoderz.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

That's right. It was dissapointing that alot of it's staff members went inactive quite quick though.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

But they did produce some really really high-q games. Like SiCoDe... if only they were that active... I think Hitoshi was the most active of the group from what I can tell.