gCn - global CALCnet2

A forum where you can announce your awesome project(s).

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Only real-time games need it to be super fast. Turn-based games have to wait for the user anyway, another second in a game wont matter to the other player, for all they know, it's the other player still thinking. Chess, checkers, Monopoly, Battleship, and other turn games won't need speed. They could even try to receive messages all the time while the game is goin on for strategies between opponemts for ganging up on somone. There is a 4-player chess version. Eight player Battleship would also be fun to play.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Serenissima!! Ever heard of that game? Great game.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

So sounds like I should go forward with attempting this? Fair enough.
Image Image Image
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Sure, go ahead. Just ignore the discussion and all criticism like you always do. Forget everything you ever heard about open development, open standards and protocols, and go on the same vein as those large corporations that you so deeply seem to admire. Go ahead and add another worthless piece of coding to your service record just to uphold your belief in yourself, and make ignorant noobs fall on their knees in awe. I mean; why wouldn't you? You've been doing that for half a decade now, and it seems to be paying off. You just have to install the Gimp on a flashdrive and another bunch of noobs thinks you're a God.

Allow me to ask you something personal; how old are you? You must be at least my age I think. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put your precious time and energy into making one of your (many) current projects a succes, instead of taking up yet another idea that (if you'll ever manage to finish it) is very unlikely to be used by more than two people?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
MathStuf

Post by MathStuf »

Personally, I think that this has more promise for 68k calcs than z80 because of processor speed and ease of including it into programs. TIGCC allows a static library that will enable parts of gCn to be included into games (such as multiplayer turn-based games, file swapping, and IMing). I don't code in z80 ASM and I don't think (from what I saw when trying to learn it) that functions for linking can just be added at a whim to a given project, which would probably not entice many programmers to code programs to include gCn capabilities.
Timendus wrote:Wouldn't it be a good idea to put your precious time and energy into making one of your (many) current projects a succes, instead of taking up yet another idea that (if you'll ever manage to finish it) is very unlikely to be used by more than two people?
I do have to agree the first part...but the last part is wrong in that if a 68k version is made, games and programs could use it effectively with TIGCC.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Timendus wrote:Sure, go ahead. Just ignore the discussion and all criticism like you always do. Forget everything you ever heard about open development, open standards and protocols, and go on the same vein as those large corporations that you so deeply seem to admire. Go ahead and add another worthless piece of coding to your service record just to uphold your belief in yourself, and make ignorant noobs fall on their knees in awe. I mean; why wouldn't you? You've been doing that for half a decade now, and it seems to be paying off. You just have to install the Gimp on a flashdrive and another bunch of noobs thinks you're a God.

Allow me to ask you something personal; how old are you? You must be at least my age I think. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put your precious time and energy into making one of your (many) current projects a succes, instead of taking up yet another idea that (if you'll ever manage to finish it) is very unlikely to be used by more than two people?
Why must you always be so unencouraging? This would definitely be used be more than two people, even without the 68k version. This could be a revolution for multi-player calc games.

Just think of it this way: If Kerm stops now, he will probably upload what he has so far to TIcalc.org anyway, just increasing the amount of unfinished stuff there already. Give him a chance with this. If it fails miserably, feel free to laugh and say "I told you so." But, until then, don't post here trying to discourage revolutionary programs. You have made your point, don't post any more non-helpful comments. If it would have worked and you had stopped it, wouldn't that be bad? Don't post here in efforts to increase your post count unless you have something constructive to say.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
allynfolksjr

Post by allynfolksjr »

Go ahead and add another worthless piece of coding to your service record just to uphold your belief in yourself, and make ignorant noobs fall on their knees in awe. I mean; why wouldn't you? You've been doing that for half a decade now, and it seems to be paying off. You just have to install the Gimp on a flashdrive and another bunch of noobs thinks you're a God.
Have you seen his forums lately? They agree with everything he proposes!

And I agree, if you look at his project thread, the only thing that he made (besides the whitesheets for the protocol) is the z80 asm part on the calculator, and that's 0% done, the computer side of it is handled by someone else.
--Nikky
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

allynfolksjr wrote:
Go ahead and add another worthless piece of coding to your service record just to uphold your belief in yourself, and make ignorant noobs fall on their knees in awe. I mean; why wouldn't you? You've been doing that for half a decade now, and it seems to be paying off. You just have to install the Gimp on a flashdrive and another bunch of noobs thinks you're a God.
Have you seen his forums lately? They agree with everything he proposes!

And I agree, if you look at his project thread, the only thing that he made (besides the whitesheets for the protocol) is the z80 asm part on the calculator, and that's 0% done, the computer side of it is handled by someone else.
so, if someone else is working on this, perhaps it has a chance of finishing? :mrgreen:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

CompWiz wrote:Why must you always be so unencouraging?
Because he's one of the most knowledgeable people in the area of calc linking and that makes him very much aware of the technological limits. You should appreciate every word he cares to say about the issue, it's all backed up by massive experience.
CompWiz wrote:Don't post here in efforts to increase your post count unless you have something constructive to say.
I don't usually stick up for people who are able to defend themselves, but calling someone like Timendus a post count whore is a level of impudence I just can't tolerate.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Thanks CoBB, it really makes my day to hear someone like you say something like that :)
MathStuf wrote:TIGCC allows a static library that will enable parts of gCn to be included into games (such as multiplayer turn-based games, file swapping, and IMing). I don't code in z80 ASM and I don't think (from what I saw when trying to learn it) that functions for linking can just be added at a whim to a given project
Well, you can include a file like Duck's greyscale package, so that wouldn't really be the problem. It is much easier to write linking routines in a higher level language than assembly though.
if a 68k version is made, games and programs could use it effectively with TIGCC.
Perhaps they could, but would it be USED? Again I ask; is there really any use for a network structure that requires a PC to connect you to others? I just fail to see the point if you have a computer standing by...
CompWiz wrote:Why must you always be so unencouraging? This would definitely be used be more than two people, even without the 68k version. This could be a revolution for multi-player calc games.
I'll agree that my last post didn't really add much. I'm sorry for that but I just got a bit annoyed with being ignored by Kerm. I mean; if he comes here to discuss his idea, he should at least respond to criticism, and tell us a bit more about his idea than "I want to make a network". It would belong in "Programming ideas" otherwise.
If Kerm stops now, he will probably upload what he has so far to TIcalc.org anyway, just increasing the amount of unfinished stuff there already. Give him a chance with this. If it fails miserably, feel free to laugh and say "I told you so." But, until then, don't post here trying to discourage revolutionary programs.
Apart from the fact that he doesn't have anything to upload yet; I fear that it will fail miserably (or in fact he'll probably never test it at all) but that he'll upload it as a success anyway. Not many people will be able to prove that he's wrong, he goes down in history as the man who made multiplayer possible, and he has another "success story" that he doesn't deserve.
If that wasn't how Kerm seems to work (from my biased point of view) I'd fully agree with you.

What I'd like to see the most is Kerm showing us his brilliant plan in detail, making me think "damn, why didn't I come up with that?", and after a few months we'd be able to see a video of four people playing tetris against each other (either over the Internet or in one room), we could download the program to try it for ourselves, and have a complete document of the protocol he uses so that third party routines can be developed to hook into his network. If that would happen then it could indeed be a revolution in calc gaming, and only then would I apoligize for my criticism.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

What happened to the repies that were here yesterday..?
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Oh?

I'm also surprised Kerm hasn't said anything about your nice little reply up above. Maybe he does realize he's full of it afterall and is just trying to make it look like he isn't, hell I don't know.
ImageImage
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

AndySoft wrote:I'm also surprised Kerm hasn't said anything about your nice little reply up above.
I'm not :)
Timendus wrote:Sure, go ahead. Just ignore the discussion and all criticism like you always do.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

WTF?! Why does everything in this forum turn into Kerm-bashing?? Do you think that's a good way to get people to frequent this forum??
"Gee, I think I'll go to Maxcoderz and tell them about my latest project."
"Yeah, great idea, they criticize everyone" >:(
Image Image Image
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

If you would actually put you money where your mouth is and MAKE more than 1% of your ideas, and MAKE THEM WORK, then maybe we wouldn't be so critical of you. We've been around long enough to know that 99% of the shit that comes out of you mouth is just that -- shit. The only people who believe you can actually do it are relatively new people.

edit: Though I must say, that SourceCoder is nice. When you actually make things that work and work well, that's good. In fact, I'm planning on newsing that when I have the time.
ImageImage