coolest game EVER!!!

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I wish I had met Raiser.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

threefingeredguy wrote:I wish I had met Raiser.
Did he leave the ti community?
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

He seems to have dropped under the radar a bit, but you can probably still reach him by email.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

So, back on topic, it seems that for this game we need: enimies, gravity, quickly scrolling background, high jumping, jump pads, fast moving character, and coins. It seems that the sonic engine would be a perfect fit. :) All we'd need to do is add in wall sliding/jumping, change the sprites, make the new enemies, and add in the exit door with the unlock button, along with a few gates.

Anyone have any coments on this? Sonic programmers? ASM programmers? Avid n-game players? would using the sonic engine be as easy as it seems? :?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I don't know what the sonic engine looks like, never seen the code. Have you begun work on this yet? I was playing n-game and I was wondering how you were going to fit larger maps. On a Ti-89 :D screen, you could probably fit almost an entire map onto the whole screen. I don't like the idea of scrolling because then you don't know where everything is.

And I was thinking about code too. Perhaps Sonic Engine, unless you want background stuff to be quick, might not be needed. I came up with a bit of pseudo-code in my head for each feature from n-game and it might be difficult to optimize and fit everything in without slowing it down, and what I liked the most was the game's speed. I'd start simple first.

Have you written code for jumping up and down? I'll send you mine if you want. Start there, then added acceleration to all forms of movement. Then start adding the wall stuffs. Don't overwhelm yourself, but considering how you've been around the forums longer than me, your probably better than me at programming.
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Hey, if you've already done all that work, it doesn't hurt to try to put it together.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

So far it's all theoretical. I haven't typed any of my thoughts or written it down. But it would be really cool if I made it in C for 68k calcs. Then I wouldn't have to worry about learning how to make screens scroll :twisted:

But I don't know if I have enough programming experience though. I might be able to get the wall bouncing concept in, maybe even the wall slide. But I wouldn't know where to begin on implementing acceleration and death from falling from too high.
Image Image Image
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

I typed up a big long reply, but something happened and I lost it.

calcul831415: I haven't started learning asm yet. I plan to start soon, and no later than the beginning of the christmas break. And are you joining katmaster and I in programming this? We can make this a three way asm noob project, kind of like the diablo game. :lol: And if anyone else wants to join us, feel free. Just so you know, we were planning to really get started around the end of december.

It seems the two best engines are sonic and the unfinished new mario game. Sonic seems the most similar to n-game.

We will need background scrolling, as the screen is not big enough to fit the whole level in.

Right now this project is at the theoretical planning stage. As soon as katmaster and I get to learning asm, that will change. Any input is welcome. :)
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I think the Mario engine would be fastest, but the sonic engine is probably easier to adapt around n-game levels.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

I've never even seen the source for these engines. Where can I find them?

@CompWiz: Ya, I'm addicted to that N-game. I think we should definitely make it. I'll help out. In fact, if some one would send me the source for the Sonic and Mario engines, I might begin work on it right away. I don't have anything better to do besides my noobish projects which you have all seen on my site.
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Mario is here, but the sonic source you will need to ask for it here and it isn't completed yet.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

kalan_vod wrote:I think the Mario engine would be fastest, but the sonic engine is probably easier to adapt around n-game levels.
the mario engine is fast? I'd think that sonic would go faster, at least once it's finished. And as you noted, n-game is similar to sonic, so it would probably in theory be easier to adapt.

But really, I'm just bouncing ideas around. I mean, we could even make our own engine, but seeing as how we are all new to asm, it would probably take a long time and run slowly.

calcul831415: I will ask for the source for sonic, and I'll email it to you if they give it to me. I'm glad you're putting effort forward on this.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute soon. I'll try compiling some sample code in latenite later today to see if I have it set up right. If it's working, then I can start the 28 day asm guide. :)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

CompWiz wrote: But really, I'm just bouncing ideas around. I mean, we could even make our own engine, but seeing as how we are all new to asm, it would probably take a long time and run slowly.

calcul831415: I will ask for the source for sonic, and I'll email it to you if they give it to me. I'm glad you're putting effort forward on this.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute soon. I'll try compiling some sample code in latenite later today to see if I have it set up right. If it's working, then I can start the 28 day asm guide. :)
We could make our own engine if we wanted a better understanding of ASM. If you've already come up with a BASIC version of N-game's engine, it might not be that hard to port to ASM.

And I too must continue reading ASMin28 (I've only digested thoroughly days 1-4 and 21/Direct Input :D :D :D ) And with just 5 of the 28 days, I wrote Turkey Hunt :roll:

@Shadow Phoenix and ThreeFingeredGuy: My work in this project will not mean I'll stop helping you guys with Diablo ASM. I think I can learn a lot from both projects since one's an RPG and one's more action. After all, I'm more of a noob than you two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image Image
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Yeah, it's cool to multi task. I am working on 3 progs now (Diablo, Harry Potter, and some revsoft stuff) now that SSP is done and I am waiting for more levels. I should finish that tutorial on how to make them. But yes, it's cool. Further your understanding, build your knowledge, enjoy.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Well I have yet to port the latest physics update to the 83+, I did get the first version ported. This second one has a tricky bug, but I just gotta sit down and really look for it.

I hate working on too many projects...overload! I had to drop Cobra, but I think Sonic was a better trade off...oh and a few of my other projects should be good too. But I will share those with you at a later time! :wink:
The Revolution is here...