coolest game EVER!!!

Got a brilliant program idea? Let us know!

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

katmaster wrote:
CompWiz wrote:I was considering learning ASM, and using this game as my first project.
hey, would you wanna do a mini group project thingy? I was thinking along the same lines as you: learn ASM and use this. It'd be really cool if you wanna.
Sure, but I don't know how much time I can put towards it. I was kind of working on a Ti-Basic Adventure game with text input, but I think this would be a much better project. I am busy between School and work, but I will start looking at that 28 day guide soon. I hope this project works out. :)
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

CompWiz wrote:Sure, but I don't know how much time I can put towards it. I was kind of working on a Ti-Basic Adventure game with text input, but I think this would be a much better project. I am busy between School and work, but I will start looking at that 28 day guide soon. I hope this project works out. :)
No problem, I'm really busy too. I wasn't planning on seriously getting started till around December, because I'll have mucho time during christmas break :)
cheese=yum
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

sounds great. I will probably have more time around then as well, and hopefully I will have my adventure game finished by then. Just curious, what programming experience do you have? I have programed in C++, java, Quickbasic, visual Basic, and TI-Basic. Apparently, C++ experience helps you with assembly.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
axcho

Post by axcho »

Apparently, C++ experience helps you with assembly.
Actually, for me, assembly helped me understand pointers and references in languages like C++ and Java. So it was the other way around!
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Adding to that, assembly and C++ were black and white to me. I found C++ extremely difficult after learning z80 and although I understand pointers wonderfully there, in C++ I see stars :) (I thought it was a wonderful homage to Digitan). It was Java that set me back on my feet, despite it's shortcomings :D
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

mostly just TI-Basic athough i have done some stuff with C++ and I've looked over z80 Assebly. Also a little HTML but that doesn't really apply :)
cheese=yum
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

*looks around*

Where'd that come from?

We're talking about the affect learning one language has on another, not our resumes :)
KevinJB | RevSoft
axcho

Post by axcho »

We're talking about the affect learning one language has on another, not our resumes
Just curious, what programming experience do you have?
CompWiz did ask katmaster.
katmaster
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by katmaster »

yeah i probebly shoulda quoted. Anyways, I was looking over the learn ASM in 28 days thing and I'm not sure exactly how much I can learn from that. It mostly has the basics (clear home, new line, etc.). Is there another guide that I can use to learn more? (after I finish 28 days)
cheese=yum
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Get "Andy's Assembly Studio" from ticalc.org. Great tutorials in that one. ASM in 28 is better to read when you have a more thorough understanding of assembly.
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

katmaster wrote:...I was looking over the learn ASM in 28 days thing and I'm not sure exactly how much I can learn from that...
What? You are talking about this, right? It covers a lot more than "just the basics", such as the LCD driver, sprite display, arrays, math routines, what else are you looking for?
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I think he means the really advanced stuff that you mostly only learn through experience and trail & error. Z80 ASM Optimization Tricks 2 shows how to do real major-league programming in general. For highly specific stuff like the 4x4 tilesets and physics I'm guessing your interested in, I can only recommend forums.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Oops, sorry everyone, I dunno how I missed Compwiz's comment :oops:
Get "Andy's Assembly Studio" from ticalc.org.
Post a link? I couldn't find it, neither Assembly Studio nor Andy in the search worked...
KevinJB | RevSoft
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Andy works.