I need some help

A General Discussion forum for TI calculators

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

phatmastermatt

I need some help

Post by phatmastermatt »

Alright, I'm new, and yes I read the newbie faq. What my question is..is this. I have a ti-84+ silver edition, and I'm not sure if I got a cable with it or not, but I already have usb cables that fit, and I can do simple things like take screen captures with TI's software, but nothing seems to work when I try to put any programs in, the file format isn't supported by the restore program, or I just can't get it to work once it's on the calculator. I downloaded the Ion OS cause I wanted to play Tetris Attack (a wonderful game might I add) but I couldn't unarchive it (which apparently is what makes it work)...it just kept giving me some sort of syntax error. I know for a fact that a lot of things work considering I got games from other people at school, but for some reason I seem limited by TI's software or the USB cable I'm using. I've tried using the TiLP program, but it doesn't seem to work, I changed the driver and everything that seemed logical to do but it couldn't connect to the calculator. Anyway, if you guys could tell me whether or not a generic USB cable works or not that'd be much appreciated.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

well i have the same calc and i suggest you dump ion and get mirage os, ( http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fi ... 13949.html ) it can play all ion games and it's better and u can even archive it cause its an app so that way if ur calc freezes up and u lose memory, then it won't be gone cause it's archived. also, you have to make sure that the files u send are .8xp, 8xk, just check for an x in the file type. 83p is for the regular 83, and those wont work on ur 83/84 cause the calcs arent made the same. also if u bought it with the box like i did your calc came with a usb calc-computer cable, usb calc-calc (links with 84s only) and a manual. it does not come with a link for 83s ( I/O link). also it came with ti connect. some people prefer ti-graph link, some prefer ti connect. they both work fine with a ti 84, but u have to download graphlink from education.ti.com well i hope that helps.

also remember to read the readme files for the games that you download. they tell u how to install the game (all games install the same way), and tell u things u need to know to play the game.

also all asm games (assembly) need a shell to run (like mirage) and you can archive all assembly games unless the readme says different. also, what i did for my 84+s is that i deleted all the extra language files cause ill only be using english, and that gave me around 400-500kb archive memory free for games and other usefull stuff.
Last edited by lecks on Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

lecks wrote:u can even archive it
Mirage OS is an APP, so by definition, it is archived.
It's good enough for most games that will draw your interest.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

spencer thats what i wrote... geez next time read C A R E F U L L Y... :roll:
phatmastermatt

Post by phatmastermatt »

Well, I have a .8xp file here and for some reason TI Connect won't let me use it to "restore" to my calculator.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

ALRIGHT i give.. i was trying to help the guy out, not be all technically accurate.. but yeah, you're right, i did write that.

ok ok here's what u do. u get the file, and u make sure u have ti connect on ur desktop and then u drag the file to the ti connect icon and itll start ti-send to. if its an asm game u can send it to archive and play it after its done sending. u must be trying to send it to the calculator the wrong way.

for the future, you should right click any .8xp file and click "open with" and find ti-send to and click on that and click "always use this option" or something like that. now next time u download a game u can just simply double click it and itll start ti send to, and u can just click send from then. MAKE SURE UR CALC IS TURNED ON AND PLUGGED IN. IF U PLUG IT IN, WAIT 5-10 SECONDS. THERE'S A DELAY FOR IT TO REGISTER.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

If you want to be technicaly correct...
u can even archive it
Like spencer said, you can't archive something thats already archived.
also all asm games (assembly) need a shell to run
Have you heard of nostub? Thats built into the OS...
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

1: you can't unarchive apps (at least i can't. i just tested it right now)
2: ive never tried that. i dont even know what it is.
Last edited by lecks on Tue 18 Oct, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lloydkirk1989
Calc Wizard

Post by lloydkirk1989 »

Nostub programs are run on the calc with the Asm( command. Basicaly, instead of using an Ion or MOS header, programs are compiled with the standard TI-OS header.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

lecks wrote:1: you can unarchive apps (at least i can. i just tested it right now)
Unless you hack your OS, I doubt that was an app you unarchived. Or perhaps this is a new feautre the ti foregot to tell us about the 84+. :lol:

NOstub are asm programs that the os runs by asm(. They are really limited in size and they lack write back so the are generally not prefered.
lecks
Extreme Poster

Post by lecks »

i never wrote that :roll:
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Jim, he wrote "CAN'T" not "can". But yes apps are very different from programs blah blah blah. They arent 8xp, so if you have Mirage.8xp you did something wrong.

PHATMASTERMATT
You don't restore files to your calc, you only restore TIConnect-made backups. Right click the Mirage application and click send to TI Device AFTER you've plugged in your calculator. It should work fine if you have installed TI Connect.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

threefingeredguy wrote:Jim, he wrote "CAN'T" not "can".
No, he's been editing, lol. :wink:
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Yes, let me just point this out to you lecks,
1: you can't unarchive apps (at least i can't. i just tested it right now)
2: ive never tried that. i dont even know what it is.

Projects:
1-Find a cure for stuttering.
2-Write a book for the cure.

Last edited by lecks on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
:roll:
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

you guys seem off topic...more than a little